2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

9 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

They might pull the spiteful ahole role. Hope another option or two gets signed by another team and then match at the last second. 

I'd respect the level of petty to do it honestly. 🤣 

They need to redo 3-4 deals just to match the offer. They are literally at 0 cap space.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I am not going to act like he is a saviour, but he would at least fill the void at RG with someone who has put some good tape together in big games.

We also don't have to reach for a guard in the draft. 

25 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Rumor has it that Bates will be a Bear. 

I very much so suspect he will be in fairness...

That said I can understand why the Bills are holding out...if you are negotiating with someone else you want their agent to think they have plenty of options to fill that role...for example if you are Trai Turner and you're asking the Bills for $4 million why would they not want you to believe they could just resign Bates? It's all about driving down the price of these remaining FAs...look at us right now...we still need to 6-8 guys on this roster but will be holding off to get the right prices.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not going to act like he is a saviour, but he would at least fill the void at RG with someone who has put some good tape together in big games.

Exactly. It would be nice to have 5 world beaters on the OL, but what we need is 5 competent starting-caliber performers. We don’t need to win games because of our OL, but we damn sure need to stop losing games because of it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Exactly. It would be nice to have 5 world beaters on the OL, but what we need is 5 competent starting-caliber performers. We don’t need to win games because of our OL, but we damn sure need to stop losing games because of it. 

Bingo GIF by jaxspider | Gfycat

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I just searched "Bates Bears" on google and twitter and I don't see that. Care to elaborate?

I've seen some different things. One of which is on page #103 of this very thread. 

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

The providing for his family thing? That doesn't mean he's coming here. He's getting the contract the Bears offered whether it's in Chicago or Buffalo.

Okay, fine. Bates isn't coming to Chicago.

Whatever...

34 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Okay, fine. Bates isn't coming to Chicago.

Whatever...

I didn't say he wasn't. You just said there are rumors of it. When I asked where, you said "I've seen it different places." The fact that whichever team has Bates' services in 2022 he'll be setting his family up financially. You have to understand that if a poster's been away from their phone all day & they see that, they'll probably assume someone credible- Biggs, Schefter, Rapoport, Jahns- reported it and you're passing it along. 

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I didn't say he wasn't. You just said there are rumors of it. When I asked where, you said "I've seen it different places." The fact that whichever team has Bates' services in 2022 he'll be setting his family up financially. You have to understand that if a poster's been away from their phone all day & they see that, they'll probably assume someone credible- Biggs, Schefter, Rapoport, Jahns- reported it and you're passing it along. 

There was at least one other thing...I'm not digging for it. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

There was at least one other thing...I'm not digging for it. 

Most of the stuff I saw, from various non-beat guys for both teams, was along the lines of “It appears Bates may be going to Chicago.” Nothing very concrete.

Personally I do think that the fact that BUF hasn’t matched yet 3 days later suggests that they won’t be. If you’re bringing your guy back after under tendering him you probably want to do so in a way that makes him feel wanted and appreciated.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Most of the stuff I saw, from various non-beat guys for both teams, was along the lines of “It appears Bates may be going to Chicago.” Nothing very concrete.

Yeah, just rumors. But they do seem to point in a certain direction. Let's hope it all pans out. 

13 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Personally I do think that the fact that BUF hasn’t matched yet 3 days later suggests that they won’t be. If you’re bringing your guy back after under tendering him you probably want to do so in a way that makes him feel wanted and appreciated.

It does kinda make you think Bates will be a Bear, for sure...