2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Where's Windy at with the reaction to the Bates non-signing ?

I'm expecting some rage posts coming soon 😭

I don't find him ragey.   I think he is calling it like it is and it seems ragey.  

19 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

As much as I like Bates...he had started 4 NFL games...less than Borom...lets not think this OL wasn't going to be inexperienced...I have been as critical as anyone of Whitehair but I trust him way more in this scheme than in a power scheme...I am high on Patick and think he will provide a big time upgrade on Mustipher...I also have no doubt a 2nd round rookie can play at guard early in his career...

Also no one is saying playing zone is easy...it is however easier than power man and out players are a better fit for it than they ever wear for a man scheme.

Bears played a lot of zone.  Everyone does in NFL now.  They did too many different things though.  Which is why there were so many blown assignments.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Bears played a lot of zone.  Everyone does in NFL now.  They did too many different things though.  Which is why there were so many blown assignments.

Yes every team plays some zone...but not wide zone like this will be...this is a far better fit especially for Whitehair from last last year...Patrick is just such a big upgrade and I think Jenkins could be scary in this scheme give his combination of power and athletic upside...the only guy I have a concern with is Borom but he seems to be putting in the work to get ready for this scheme.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Yes every team plays some zone...but not wide zone like this will be...this is a far better fit especially for Whitehair from last last year...Patrick is just such a big upgrade and I think Jenkins could be scary in this scheme give his combination of power and athletic upside...the only guy I have a concern with is Borom but he seems to be putting in the work to get ready for this scheme.

I agree Whitehair and Jenkins will be good at OZ.   But it isn't just going to be OZ left and right.   It is the base play though.

Bad backs scare me though.   I don't know that Patrick is that good, just that Mustipher was really bad.

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I agree Whitehair and Jenkins will be good at OZ.   But it isn't just going to be OZ left and right.   It is the base play though.

Bad backs scare me though.   I don't know that Patrick is that good, just that Mustipher was really bad.

Consistent back issues would concern me...the issue from college was not the same as the pros...if he doesn't have issues this year then I would think we are all good especially with the weight loss...Patrick from the all-22s I have watched is good in the fact he is boring...just goes about his job...blocks his assignment well on every play...never gets badly beaten...never makes a wow play...boring is good on the OL.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

That is a really optimistic statement.

Jenkins and Borom are not proven NFL players.   Whitehair has not played well of late and Patrick was a sub-in starter who was allowed to leave.   On top of that you are penciling in a rookie.

The other side of that same discussion is:

-Borom started 8 games as a 5th round rookie and held his own. He wasn’t a star RT but he also wasn’t a liability. He wasn’t Frank Omiyale for God’s sake. The “scary” year for Borom was last year when he was a late-round rookie starter, and he did fine.

-Patrick started most of the season at 2 different positions the last year and did a solid job. He was allowed to leave… by a team that had to shave $50M off the cap at the last minute just to get their QB under contract, and who just drafted a C (Myers) in round 2 in 2021.

-If healthy (and Poles will obviously know this), Jenkins is essentially a redshirt rookie this year. He’s essentially coming into this year what we expected him to be coming in as last year, which is an expected plug-and-play starter with big upside and a nasty streak.

-Whitehair struggled last year (his reputation in Bears social media would have you think he was the equivalent of putting Cairo Santos in at G when reality is that he was merely average or slightly below it), but was a solid starter or better all the years before that, and he’s now playing to show his $10M salary isn’t expendable beyond this year. We’re gonna get the best version of whatever’s left there in 2022.

-I expect we’ll now draft a guard to start in R2 or R3 unless we add someone like Trai Turner in FA, and it’ll almost certainly be a guy with a higher ceiling than Ryan Bates, at 25% of the cost for the next 4 years. 

My only concern about the OL right now is depth. Namely, we don’t have any. But adequate depth players are frequently signed later on in the offseason. Hell, we’re about to see maybe 6 tackles drafted in the 1st round. That alone will generate at least a few cuts of guys who could be top backups or stop gaps. Same will go for guard. Reality is probably that some of the starters will work out well, others less well, and some will probably get hurt at some point. For me our OL moves need to raise the floor as much as the ceiling. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Pray for Justin

Russell Wilson Sacks By Season: 

2012: 33

2013: 44

2014: 42

2015: 45

2016: 41

2017: 43

2018: 51

2019: 48

2020: 47

2021: 33 (14 games)

Wilson’s top receiving targets in year 2 were 4th year Golden Tate (64/898), 3rd year Doug Baldwin (50/772) and 2nd year Jermaine Kearse (22/346). You’re telling me Mooney, Pringle and a rookie can’t match that, even if Fields is sacked 44 times? 

If Fields is what we think he can be, those guys aren’t holding him back. If he’s that dude then he’s making those guys better, not the other way around. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Russell Wilson Sacks By Season: 

2012: 33

2013: 44

2014: 42

2015: 45

2016: 41

2017: 43

2018: 51

2019: 48

2020: 47

2021: 33 (14 games)

Wilson’s top receiving targets in year 2 were 4th year Golden Tate (64/898), 3rd year Doug Baldwin (50/772) and 2nd year Jermaine Kearse (22/346). You’re telling me Mooney, Pringle and a rookie can’t match that, even if Fields is sacked 44 times? 

If Fields is what we think he can be, those guys aren’t holding him back. If he’s that dude then he’s making those guys better, not the other way around. 

I like it and hoping that the young guys can turn out to be good and that the new coaches can call half *** plays worth a **** for Justin.

1 hour ago, BearsDen1-99 said:

Sorry guys this Oline is going to be even uglier this year...but the young guys need to grow i guess. Sucks for Fields 

The line will be better than last year. 

1 hour ago, malagabears said:

There aren't really many guards left on the scrap heap. The only ones left who would make an opening day 53 man roster are:

1. TrainTurner
2. Ereck Flowers
3. Quentin Spain?

They all work. Flowers would probably be the best, but I'm not certain. 

• Like 1