2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

This is EXACTLY what we are talking about. For some reason you think we are looking to bring in some savior as a Free Agent. That’s not going to happen, never was, and good teams don’t do it that way. 

What do they do? They DRAFT

We are talking about 2022, and just having a competent OL. You apparently are thinking we’re some how going to bring in a 25 year old Alan Faneca to be an All-Pro stalwart for the next 8-10 years. Your being beyond unrealistic here 

I do not. I am the one saying no one left in free agency is good enough to alter future plans. Stop the bleeding at RG, sure, but no players left you plan to build around.

I think you sign Trai Turner and draft an OG high and we see how long it takes the rookie to take someone’s job.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Sign a veteran who can play the spot without killing the offense. Draft someone who can be better than that. When the handoff happens is up to how quickly the rookie develops.

Do you not think that’s what they are doing? Seriously? This is like exactly what is happening. But I guess because it isn’t all popping off instantaneously before we even hit April that’s too slow for you?

This isn’t flipping a speedboat here, this is turning around a cruise ship. The low level of talent, lack of draft capital and inflated contracts left behind by Pace make this a long term project (in NFL timelines).

The process you are describing isn’t just needed at one Guard spot, it’s needed at atleast 3 OL spots, if not 4 or even 5 if the young promising guys fall apart, which is still a real possibility. But it’s also needed at CB, at Safety, at LB at DE at WR, and nearly EVERY position on this roster other than QB, RB and probably one WR spot. 

Again, Madden syndrome in effect right here  

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

I really get the urgency that Windy is feeling about this team,  it's like driving with your gas tank on the "E" out in the middle of nowhere.  But I think we need to accept that this team is being ruthless* about paring down contracts, not taking on any long term obligations, and setting up for the future. If they really believe in Fields, they're counting on him to make progress and be the guy without giving him stars to block or catch passes. Not what I would do, but at least they're consistent*. 

*wtf was Larry Ogunjobi doing in this context?

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Do you not think that’s what they are doing? Seriously? This is like exactly what is happening. But I guess because it isn’t all popping off instantaneously before we even hit April that’s too slow for you?

This isn’t flipping a speedboat here, this is turning around a cruise ship. The low level of talent, lack of draft capital and inflated contracts left behind by Pace make this a long term project (in NFL timelines).

The process you are describing isn’t just needed at one Guard spot, it’s needed at atleast 3 OL spots, if not 4 or even 5 if the young promising guys fall apart, which is still a real possibility. But it’s also needed at CB, at Safety, at LB at DE at WR, and nearly EVERY position on this roster other than QB, RB and probably one WR spot. 

Again, Madden syndrome in effect right here  

Signing a starting caliber RG shouldn’t be this difficult.

I could care less about those defensive positions. They really don’t matter to the long term success of Justin Fields.

#1 priority should be to secure the OL. I think waiting till there is only a handful of decent options is waiting too long. The options are not going to get better mid April, so why wait?

1 minute ago, RunningVaccs said:

I really get the urgency that Windy is feeling about this team,  it's like driving with your gas tank on the "E" out in the middle of nowhere.  But I think we need to accept that this team is being ruthless* about paring down contracts, not taking on any long term obligations, and setting up for the future. If they really believe in Fields, they're counting on him to make progress and be the guy without giving him stars to block or catch passes. Not what I would do, but at least they're consistent*. 

*wtf was Larry Ogunjobi doing in this context?

I have urgency when it comes to 1 position… the OL. I do this every offseason as we under invest and then are shocked when the OL isn’t good again… “but we signed Germain Ifedi”.

We need a RG who can start week 1 at a reasonable level and we need a veteran OT who can start if needed and can seriously compete with Borom and Jenkins. The OL market is dwindling. It’s time to make those 2 moves and secure the floor of the OL.

A #3 WR would be nice, but I don’t think as critical as the OL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

But why wouldn’t we try?

Our OL has been mediocre for years because the organization has settled on mediocre players.

Sign a veteran who can play the spot without killing the offense. Draft someone who can be better than that. When the handoff happens is up to how quickly the rookie develops.

Who EEEEEEEEEEEEEVER said don’t try to get better? When has that ever come out of anyone’s mouth?

The Windy philosophy seems to be to draft guys and see if they can be good, but also sign every FA of note who should start ahead of them. Average starters get starter work out of FA. Especially younger ones like Trai Turner. If he’s the 30th to 40th best guard in the league the only backup role he’s likely to sign on for, especially in March, is with a contender. Also, when exactly are we going to find out if the drafted guys can play at a high level if we won’t play them? Borom was solid all year last year as a 5th round rookie and Jenkins held his own just fine after his MNF debut, despite being consistently being put in unfavorable matchups against top tier opponents, but you were losing your **** a week ago because the Bears didn’t puke money all over themselves to sign a highly injury prone LT who will be 31 this season to a massive deal in what is clearly a rebuild year. 

If you wait until everyone is a turn key, sure fire, plug and play quality starter before they see the field you’re never ever going to build and develop your own talent. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I could care less about those defensive positions. They really don’t matter to the long term success of Justin Fields

Do you think he is made of glass? Because if he is (physically or mentally) then he ain’t the guy and he’ll be gone in a few more years anyway. 

I personally think he is the guy, and he will be completely fine with what we have to run out there right now. And the talent infront of him will only improve from here. 

Again, we don’t need stars for this line, we need the right guys, who fit the mold and will block as a unit. And the highest priced Free Agents, aren’t really those type of guys. 

So here is a hypo.  How do you guys see this season playing out assuming we decide to add a rookie guard and wr to our current starting O lineup? 

They can be the two 2nd rounders if you like.  Better if you can give names of two guys you expect to be available.

Legit question for thought and discussion.  Not trolling.

I won’t be able to look at replies for awhile fyi.  Busy.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

So here is a hypo.  How do you guys see this season playing out assuming we decide to add a rookie guard and wr to our current starting O lineup? 

I guess I don’t know what you are really asking? We’re going to be bad, it’s a bad roster overall with some sprinkles of solid talent and one or two potential studs (Fields/Mooney)

But no signing we were making this off-season was going to change that. The roster is too shallow, and even 1-2-3 high priced free agents weren’t going to correct that for what you hope is Fields long career.

Even if we could have made the move for let’s say Cooper, we’re you still comfortable paying him $23m each of the next 2 years? Even if you are, are you planning on resigning him at 31? And that all before we get to his side of this equation of if he even would want to be here while we rebuild.

It just feels like some of you don’t want to admit how much of a rebuild that this truly is, and accept that it’s going to take a minute 

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Do you think he is made of glass? Because if he is (physically or mentally) then he ain’t the guy and he’ll be gone in a few more years anyway. 

I personally think he is the guy, and he will be completely fine with what we have to run out there right now. And the talent infront of him will only improve from here. 

Again, we don’t need stars for this line, we need the right guys, who fit the mold and will block as a unit. And the highest priced Free Agents, aren’t really those type of guys. 

Why kick the **** out of Fields when you don’t have to?

Is it some sort of test whether he is “the guy” or not that he can survive getting killed for 2 years?

I believe you should do everything in your power to protect your QB. Not sure that is a controversial position.

40 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I guess I don’t know what you are really asking? We’re going to be bad, it’s a bad roster overall with some sprinkles of solid talent and one or two potential studs (Fields/Mooney)

But no signing we were making this off-season was going to change that. The roster is too shallow, and even 1-2-3 high priced free agents weren’t going to correct that for what you hope is Fields long career.

Even if we could have made the move for let’s say Cooper, we’re you still comfortable paying him $23m each of the next 2 years? Even if you are, are you planning on resigning him at 31? And that all before we get to his side of this equation of if he even would want to be here while we rebuild.

It just feels like some of you don’t want to admit how much of a rebuild that this truly is, and accept that it’s going to take a minute 

More could have been done, or could still be done, to raise the floor on this team.

We will have to draft the ceiling, but we could have set a higher floor.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Is it some sort of test whether he is “the guy” or not that he can survive getting killed for 2 years?

Not at all, and have never suggested that. I dont think hes going to break, my point is, if he is going to, it will happen regardless. QBs get hit, you cant bubble wrap him 

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I believe you should do everything in your power to protect your QB. Not sure that is a controversial position.

And many of us think we have been doing that, in a realistic approach. You continue to act like the only way to do that is sign 5 lineman to $15m per year contracts. 

The change in scheme is a huge step in that direction, you dont seem to believe that, and us explaining it hasnt seemed to change your mind.

A major upgrade at Center is another, the position I believe is the most crucial along the line Patrick isnt some would beater, but he is solid and reliable with a nasty demeanor who isnt going to let anything happen to his QB. That right there is miles better than what we had previous (and if we would end up with Tretter, it would be an upgrade to the upgrade).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Season 1 March GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

That’s what came up when I searched “It’s March.” 

Date doesn’t matter. Available talent does.

This isn’t the Apple section at the grocery store, it doesn’t get restocked every night.

Why wait to sort through the bruises and discarded ones with something this important?

Edited by WindyCity