2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

Just now, WindyCity said:

You can hit the draft for 2-3 OLmen without signing Larry O back. We have plenty of DLmen.

It just isn’t required  after paying Jones.

And why can't we do both?...we still have the cap to do so and if you can sign a player who at one point you value at near $13 million a year why would you not target him at far less? You can never have too much talent...you can especially never have too much pass rushing talent in this scheme.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

And why can't we do both?...we still have the cap to do so and if you can sign a player who at one point you value at near $13 million a year why would you not target him at far less? You can never have too much talent...you can especially never have too much pass rushing talent in this scheme.

IMO it doesn't make sense for this team's timeline. Let a contender pay for his rehab/prove-it year. Bears aren't winning anything in 2022 and paying Ogun just shrinks the cap space they can rollover to 2023.

Just now, abstract_thought said:

IMO it doesn't make sense for this team's timeline. Let a contender pay for his rehab/prove-it year. Bears aren't winning anything in 2022 and paying Ogun just shrinks the cap space they can rollover to 2023.

I wouldn't say it is a rehab or prove it year...the surgery on the foot clearly wasn't as clean as was hoped but no one is suggesting he won't be fully ready for the season...just doubt anyone wants to sink a ton of guarantees into him this season.

22 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I wouldn't say it is a rehab or prove it year...the surgery on the foot clearly wasn't as clean as was hoped but no one is suggesting he won't be fully ready for the season...just doubt anyone wants to sink a ton of guarantees into him this season.

It seems likely that Ogunjobi signs a 1 year deal and looks to hit FA again in 2023. Why should the Bears invest in him now? If he proves he can stay healthy, they can sign him next offseason.

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Bwahaha, sorry,  I'm usually beside the point on these anyway, but have a hard time getting excited when we sign guys whose highlight might be a nasty block in preseason.  I will excuse myself from the FA discussion. 

LOL

29 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

It seems likely that Ogunjobi signs a 1 year deal and looks to hit FA again in 2023. Why should the Bears invest in him now? If he proves he can stay healthy, they can sign him next offseason.

Because you are gambling against 31 other teams at that point and still have no idea of how he gels with your staff, scheme & the rest of your players...where as if you do the smart thing like Poles is doing with most of these guys you bring him in for a year and get a true reflection of what he offers you...if all goes well you already have an inside track on resigning him...if it goes badly then he walks...there is no reason at all not to sign a player they felt so strongly about just a few weeks ago (again I would like to point out I don't think Ogunjobi is coming here but still it would be a hell of a pick up if he did).

30 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I just don’t think Ogun is going to be 6-7-8 million better than Justin Jones. 

I think we will get more on field value for our money at other spots where we are not replacing a 6 million dollar free agent.

Who else are you signing for that money then?...

Also Jones has a history of injury and I don't trust Mario Edwards with such a key role in this defence...he showed time and time again last year he was a liability because he couldn't keep his cool.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

This is paramount and it really is a great approach. You get them in your building, you see what they're about, and if they play well for you that's an immediate extension and position solved.

If they're *******s, or the suck, move on with nothing lost.

If they ball out and end up signing elsewhere, they're eligible for comp picks, yes? Or is it a guy with a certain amount of years on a team that nets em? I thought Dalton counted for us, but not 100% sure...

6 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

If they ball out and end up signing elsewhere, they're eligible for comp picks, yes? Or is it a guy with a certain amount of years on a team that nets em? I thought Dalton counted for us, but not 100% sure...

They are, depending on what they sign for at the next stop. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Who else are you signing for that money then?...

Also Jones has a history of injury and I don't trust Mario Edwards with such a key role in this defence...he showed time and time again last year he was a liability because he couldn't keep his cool.

Xavier Rhodes or Steven Nelson, both would be greater upgrades over what we have at CB than Ogun is to Jones.

You could probably get Trai Turner and Dennis Kelly for that amount and have exceptional depth on the OL, Turner probably starting the season.

My guess is Emmanuel Sanders signs for about 5-6 million and would give the Bears an accomplished veteran slotting into the #3 role.

That money can be better invested in weak areas of team.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

They are, depending on what they sign for at the next stop. 

Comp picks are going to be tough to come by for a few years. We have so few guys on the roster that we will likely be signing more than we lose in  the near future.

2-3 good drafts in a row and we will be in the comp pick zone.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Xavier Rhodes or Steven Nelson, both would be greater upgrades over what we have at CB than Ogun is to Jones.

You could probably get Trai Turner and Dennis Kelly for that amount and have exceptional depth on the OL, Turner probably starting the season.

My guess is Emmanuel Sanders signs for about 5-6 million and would give the Bears an accomplished veteran slotting into the #3 role.

That money can be better invested in weak areas of team.

Not a single one of those players would have the same impact on this team as Ogunjobi would...

For guys like that we could still sign them give the cap space we have.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Having a bunch of good 3 techniques doesn’t do us a lot of good if we have a trash secondary.

Spread the money around and make sure we don’t have any black hole positions 

A good 3 tech absolutely makes your secondary better...being able to rotate them in and out only makes it better.

• Like 1