2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

19 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think he is "that good" I think he is an above average starting NFL centre...which would be a massive upgrade on what we have right now...to be fair is we just had an average to above average OL we would be in good shape.

PFF loves him, for whatever that's worth:

2021 PLAYER GRADES
OVERALL

31 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think where Seattle messed up is they married their QB future with a weak QB draft.  

But who knows? People said the Mahomes, Trubisky and Watson class was really weak.

They don't need to draft their future QB this year. They have flexibility for the next 2-3 years to rebuild their roster. And they can trade more veterans for picks if they want to shift that timeline forward.

Bears refused to hit the reset button and are now limited in how they can build around Fields. Seattle can stockpile picks, draft the QB they want, and still put young players around him.

• Like 1

Just now, G08 said:

PFF loves him, for whatever that's worth:

2021 PLAYER GRADES
OVERALL

Yeah I saw that...as a run blocker he was ranked top 5 by them and he is very good in that regard...just his lack of size and length let him down in pass pro and that's where guys really get paid...no way he can be left 1on1 with a good DT.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah I saw that...as a run blocker he was ranked top 5 by them and he is very good in that regard...just his lack of size and length let him down in pass pro and that's where guys really get paid...no way he can be left 1on1 with a good DT.

I forgot how much I hated waiting for FA to officially open, let alone wait for the draft to get here 😂

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

They don't need to draft their future QB this year. They have flexibility for the next 2-3 years to rebuild their roster. And they can trade more veterans for picks if they want to shift that timeline forward.

Bears refused to hit the reset button and are now limited in how they can build around Fields. Seattle can stockpile picks, draft the QB they want, and still put young players around him.

I think Bears can rebuild.  They get their picks next year and having a rookie QB means you can sign FAs.

Hitting on a pick or two this year becomes vitally important though and that is easier said than done.   

It would be easy to have a draft with no hits with those selections.   Trading down would increase picks, but decrease odds of good player availability.

Getting a Mooney in 5th is not the norm.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

If he's "that good" why is he "that cheap"?

Makes me wonder if that $5.4 per is inaccurate...

The parts ties to guarantees is all that really matters. AAV could be $9M on a 5/45 deal but that same deal might basically be a 2/14 deal with option years too and tolerable dead cap at the end if we move on.

As for Allen, I think he’s a solid starter but not a world beater. I’d expect that $5.4M AAV is well below what he’ll get on the open market. 

55 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think Bears can rebuild.  They get their picks next year and having a rookie QB means you can sign FAs.

Hitting on a pick or two this year becomes vitally important though and that is easier said than done.   

It would be easy to have a draft with no hits with those selections.   Trading down would increase picks, but decrease odds of good player availability.

Getting a Mooney in 5th is not the norm.

It's not that the Bears can't rebuild. But their margin for error is thin because they tried hopelessly to compete during years they had no chance at a Super Bowl. Seattle, meanwhile, gets to bottom out, stockpile picks, and choose when they start the clock on a rookie QB contract.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

It's not that the Bears can't rebuild. But their margin for error is thin because they tried hopelessly to compete during years they had no chance at a Super Bowl. Seattle, meanwhile, gets to bottom out, stockpile picks, and choose when they start the clock on a rookie QB contract.

It makes far more sense for SEA to choose to bottom out this year vs. last year too given that the QB crop for next year seems to have at least 2 elite prospects with Young and Stroud. 3-14 in 2022 should have far more value for them than in 2021. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Yes I would agree with that.   Bears have never been a tank and rebuild team though.

They put pressure on their coaches to win regardless.   So a pretty bad team or mediocre team can still have 6-9 wins.

49ers being bad enough to draft an impact player like Nick Bosa despite having a decent roster is what made them a SB team.

41 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It makes far more sense for SEA to choose to bottom out this year vs. last year too given that the QB crop for next year seems to have at least 2 elite prospects with Young and Stroud. 3-14 in 2022 should have far more value for them than in 2021. 

I’m not sure I would operate a team that way because we have recent examples of “bad” QB classes that turned great and “great” classes that turned bad. But these are NFL execs with NFL egos.

Most likely they wanted to make it work with Wilson and after last season they realized they’re no longer contenders. Bears in that situation would give Russ a 4 year extension and fire the GM a year later.

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Bears have never been a tank and rebuild team though.

I’m not convinced that comes from ownership. Pace was allowed to rebuild for several years with virtually no pressure.

14 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I’m not sure I would operate a team that way because we have recent examples of “bad” QB classes that turned great and “great” classes that turned bad. But these are NFL execs with NFL egos.

Most likely they wanted to make it work with Wilson and after last season they realized they’re no longer contenders. Bears in that situation would give Russ a 4 year extension and fire the GM a year later.

I’m not convinced that comes from ownership. Pace was allowed to rebuild for several years with virtually no pressure.

Until there was.   Last season was a mandatory win year

27 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

And Washington is paying his full salary...Chris Ballard has saved his skin big time here 😂

You are screwed Ballard you need a miracle now.

Ballard:  You asked for miracle?  I give you the Wash-ing-ton Communists

• Like 1

I think finding a safety next to Eddie Jackson is probably a bigger need than we think it is and if that is the case I really hope we take a real run at Justin Reid...his range combined with Jackson would allow them to keep everything in front of them and allow the pass rush to get him...really underrated player IMO.

• Like 1