2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

I'm not panicking but Windy has a point. I get 2nd or 3rd wave guys, I really do, but these are now 3rd and 4th wave guys. Is Billy Turner really better than Borom? Is Billy Price really better than Mustipher? The 2022 season should be all about Fields and I'd like to see him throw more often with a clean pocket. OL youth/depth in a must, but I don't think any 2nd or 3rd round rookie can be counted on to be really good right off of the bat either

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not panicking but Windy has a point. I get 2nd or 3rd wave guys, I really do, but these are now 3rd and 4th wave guys. Is Billy Turner really better than Borom? Is Billy Price really better than Mustipher? The 2022 season should be all about Fields and I'd like to see him throw more often with a clean pocket. OL youth/depth in a must, but I don't think any 2nd or 3rd round rookie can be counted on to be really good right off of the bat either

No...and yes...very much so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

TBF... we already had a Fire Poles thread after 2-3 days of being hired.  😅

I think someone posted that Poles would be going for a lot of second wave players, or something of the sort. That is exactly what we should be doing rather than paying crazy amounts for an individual player. No one player is going to make us a top team in the NFC, but we have a LOT of room for talent upgrades that will be more cost effective without breaking the bank.

I think we will see a number of moves much like Pace did in 2018, get a number of good players across the board and if some of them (like Hicks) turn out to be special then we can have some surprising production. Regardless as long as we get to protect Fields and get some receivers for him I'll be content to spend the 2022 losing if we see serious growth from him. 

Exactly. This is what a reasonable, logical outlook looks like on day 1 of FA. 

21 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

🤔

Re: Chark, it sounds like he wanted to bet on himself with this deal (totally reasonable given with the way the top of the market plays out for FA WR), and we probably can’t pay him $10-12M on a 1-year deal cap-wise. 

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Tell me you weren’t disappointed when the OL market was moving and the Bears were not doing anything.

Our offense sucks and our only move was signing a DT for a defense that we already decided wasn’t important in 2022.

Loved the Mack trade. Today was super underwhelming.

Honestly i really wasn’t.  I guess ive kind of just come to expect this.  Poles practically told us to expect this.  Next year might be a different story.  Who knows what they’ve got brewing behind the scenes at Halas hall?

7 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Hopefully the Chark deal is a sign that the WR market is cooling off after that bomb that jax dropped.  

Exactly. Many of us would like (for example) Juju on a multi-year deal at somewhere around $10M a year. That wasn’t happening yesterday. It may not happen now either, but yesterday money is nuts. 3/42 with $26M guaranteed for Charvarius Ward is a significant overspend. Is he appreciably (if at all) better than, say, Steven Nelson? Chances are he’ll probably sign for maybe half that. Which is the better signing? Had we signed Bradley Bozeman at noon yesterday or James Daniels there’s a good chance it would have cost $40-50M. Today those prices might be closer to Brian Allen’s 3/24.

We didn’t win yesterday, but so what? Winning March 14th is not the goal. If we want a prudent, plan-focused, chess-playing GM then we shouldn’t freak the **** out when the new GM shows signs of exactly that. Most of the guys many of us actually expected us to sign (versus the pipe dream guys) are still out there right now. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Honestly i really wasn’t.  I guess ive kind of just come to expect this.  Poles practically told us to expect this.  Next year might be a different story.  Who knows what they’ve got brewing behind the scenes at Halas hall?

He told us they were going to be wave 2 and 3 free agents.

But then he set the market at DT by 3 million... so I am not sure he is a tier 2 and 3 guy.

If he is willing to go tier 1 for a defender, then it was my hope he may have done the same on offense, where we suck.

• Like 1