2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

8 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Why draft anybody, then? 

Nobody said "draft nobody." That's a cop out response. Jenkins has good potential. He also did absolutely squat last year for anyone say "he can be better than a top 3 NFL LT." I mean, Dazz Newsome could be better than Deandre Hopkins ever was, too. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I wouldn't take anybody. Early, at least. I'd say that I have Jenkins, and if he fails, then the back-up plan will kick in.

Once again...should the Bears have cut Fields and traded for Ryan?

No one seems to want to answer that question. 

Maybe no one wants to answer it because it's not worth the response. Yeah, "trading for a 36 year old QB who's rapidly declining and a big cap hit and 'cutting' a 23 year old QB" is the same thing as "signing a great LT who's still 30 with a big cap hit and moving your very young unknown LT to RT." Almost.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If Poles sees him as a potential starting fixture long term then what’s enough both for him to sign it and for BUF to possibly not match?

The only thing that is going to matter (outside of giving him a better offer than the Patriots or whoever else extends a contract) will be that first year cap hit to force the Bills to decline to match

• Like 2

It’s March not July so there is still time to do things.

But we should learn from Bengals.  Yes, they made SB last year, but they lost a very talented young QB in year one and beat the hell out of him last year.  

This year they rushed out and signed 3 new starters.  

On plus side last year they drafted best WR in draft to add to two really good WRs and a good TE.

Fields got hurt last year.   He needs to be protected and have weapons sooner rather than later.  

We don’t have draft capital Bengals did so I expect more action in FA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

The only thing that is going to matter (outside of giving him a better offer than the Patriots or whoever else extends a contract) will be that first year cap hit to force the Bills to decline to match

I’m not sure that even matters. They could easily clear over $7M in cap space with a simple restructure of Tre’Davious White’s deal, or reduce Stefan Diggs’ 2022 cap number ($17.9M) by probably 50% with an extension. They can restructure Allen’s deal to save over $20M next year too. The flexibility will always be there if so inclined. 

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Assuming it works out this way, don’t you also expect to see Pringle, an ascending player himself, also produce more in an expanded role? He put up 568 yards and 5 TD on 60 targets last year, and averages 9.7 yards/target for his career. Even at 8.5 yards/target (a pretty significant step down with the expanded role and shift away from Mahomes), at 90-100 targets that’s 765-850 yards. That would put him somewhere in the 30-45 range in terms of WR receiving yards most years, so solidly #2 production. I think that’s a totally realistic expectation for him in a WR2 role for all of 2022. If he’s able to keep the 9.7 at 90/100 targets that’s 873-970 yards, and that’s even better. 

I expect Pringle to produce more this year with an expanded role.

I do not think counting on a rookie non 1st round WR to be a #2 and produce at that level is a good plan.

I used Pringles last season numbers as they seem to represent the production of a solid #3 option.

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

His original round tender from Buffalo (he was a UFA) will pay him $2.4M. How much would you be willing to pay him? He’s an ascending player who’s young and who even if for some reason he wasn’t a starter here he’d give you positional diversity as depth. If Poles sees him as a potential starting fixture long term then what’s enough both for him to sign it and for BUF to possibly not match? I’d maybe go something like this:

3/$24.5M, with $15.5M guaranteed

Signing bonus $9M

Base salaries:

2022: $1.5M guaranteed 

2023: $5M guaranteed 

2024: $9M non-guaranteed

Cap hits:

2022: $4.5M

2023: $8M 

2024: $12M ($3M dead cap if cut)

Cash:

2022: $10.5M fully guaranteed 

2023: $5M fully guaranteed

2024: $9M non-guaranteed

Essentially it’s a 2-year deal with a team option, but Bates gets more than 4x as much in cash in 2022 than what he’s set to make on his BUF RFA deal. It also sets Bates up again to potentially hit the market again at 28 where he could get huge money if he kills it for us. BUF could match it, but not without moving money around which they may not want to do, and that’s a really solid deal IMO to offer a guy on the come with 4 starts in 3 years. It also potentially opens up our draft to not take an IOL in R2 and instead take a tackle if Poles likes one there or address another position with a higher tier prospect. 

You need a bigger year 1 cap hit to get him out of Buffalo. They are pressed against the cap this season.

A year 1 cap hit of 8-9 million is going to be hard for them to match. Flip the cap hits and he is likely ours.

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You need a bigger year 1 cap hit to get him out of Buffalo. They are pressed against the cap this season.

A year 1 cap hit of 8-9 million is going to be hard for them to match. Flip the cap hits and he is likely ours.

It will be tough for us to stomach a $8-9M cap hit this year too, and will make it more difficult for us to do any 1-year deals for vets that aren’t minimum salary type deals. But, it can be done. The Ogunjobi deal not being on the books gave us much more flexibility to do just what you’re suggesting. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It will be tough for us to stomach a $8-9M cap hit this year too, and will make it more difficult for us to do any 1-year deals for vets that aren’t minimum salary type deals. But, it can be done. The Ogunjobi deal not being on the books gave us much more flexibility to do just what you’re suggesting. 

It is probably the only way you can get him free.

4-5 million they can handle with some work on the cap.

8-9 million will stress them and make things really tight.

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

They just have to match the total contract not the year one cap hit, right?

Correct me if I am a wrong, but contracts can be bigger, but structured so they don't count a lot against cap in early years.

56 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They just have to match the total contract not the year one cap hit, right?

Correct me if I am a wrong, but contracts can be bigger, but structured so they don't count a lot against cap in early years.

Once the player signs the offer sheet the tendering team can only match or not match. In retaining the right to match the offer sheet they forfeit the right to change the deal. 

• Like 1