2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

It is probably the only way you can get him free.

4-5 million they can handle with some work on the cap.

8-9 million will stress them and make things really tight.

Yeah. They seemingly put themselves in a bind if they plan to prioritize keeping him by not tendering him at a 2nd round level for an extra $1.5M. Won’t upset me in the slightest to see us exploit that perceived mistake. 

51 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah. They seemingly put themselves in a bind if they plan to prioritize keeping him by not tendering him at a 2nd round level for an extra $1.5M. Won’t upset me in the slightest to see us exploit that perceived mistake. 

It will all be about structure because that is what stresses teams more than the overall...GB tried to do it to us with Kyle Fuller but offering a high year one then lower years before going back up with unguaranteed money to force us to match it...if we went something like $12 million this year then $6 million a year in years 2 & 3 that would be a smart way to do it if we value him that highly.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think it is closer to 3 million. I am not sure that they expected him to get an offer sheet off of 4 starts.

Never underestimate the OL desperation in the NFL.

41 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It will all be about structure because that is what stresses teams more than the overall...GB tried to do it to us with Kyle Fuller but offering a high year one then lower years before going back up with unguaranteed money to force us to match it...if we went something like $12 million this year then $6 million a year in years 2 & 3 that would be a smart way to do it if we value him that highly.

I think anything over 8, this season, will put them in  bind. They all ready need to restructure a bunch of deals to just function right now.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

They just have to match the total contract not the year one cap hit, right?

Correct me if I am a wrong, but contracts can be bigger, but structured so they don't count a lot against cap in early years.

They have to take it as written. They cannot alter the structure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think anything over 8, this season, will put them in  bind. They all ready need to restructure a bunch of deals to just function right now.

I think it probably would too but if we want to ensure it then we have ample room to do so.

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think it probably would too but if we want to ensure it then we have ample room to do so.

It also depends on what Bates wants. Maybe he wants 10-12 a season, otherwise he will go back to Buffalo and get a better offer next year.

I tend to think an UDFA who has never made real money would jump at 10-15 guaranteed when it came up.

• Like 1

Just now, WindyCity said:

It also depends on what Bates wants. Maybe he wants 10-12 a season, otherwise he will go back to Buffalo and get a better offer next year.

I tend to think an UDFA who has never made real money would jump at 10-15 guaranteed when it came up.

Yeah I would agree...I don't think having played just under 25% of Buffalo's snaps last year he will be looking for $10-$12 million a year and if he is we should pass...offering $15 million guaranteed should be something he jumps all over.

19 hours ago, The_Romen said:

Why not take a proven commodity, draft depth behind him in case of emergency and we can all sleep better at night?

Because he would cost an enormous amount of money, and we're just beginning to get the cap in shape. The proven commodity also has never played 16 games in a season, and seems to be getting even more injury prone. 

17 hours ago, WindyCity said:

You’re delusional. Terron Armstead is one of the 3 best LTs in the game. All Jenkins needs to be as good as him is to be a likely HOFer….

I've always liked Armstead. IMO, he's a very good player, but not a truly great one. We differ there. I doubt he'll make it to the Hall, but we'll see. 

You're also intentionally ignoring how many folks had Jenkins graded coming out of college. And his game tape from there, as well. 

17 hours ago, WindyCity said:

In the end Armstead isn’t happening. We are going to be outbid by Miami and that is just the way it is.

I don't think Armstead was ever happening...but he isn't signed yet, so you never know. We all could end up surpised!

Right now, it's looking like Poles is as stupid and delusional as I am. Poor guy, 

13 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Nobody said "draft nobody." That's a cop out response. Jenkins has good potential. He also did absolutely squat last year for anyone say "he can be better than a top 3 NFL LT." I mean, Dazz Newsome could be better than Deandre Hopkins ever was, too. 

That doesn't make much sense. You're twisting your logic into pretzels. The Bears were lucky to draft Jenkins where they did, and he had surgery. There's a story here, as far as the kid and his development goes. 

You draft guys, and you hope they work out. That's how this all works. If a guy fails. then you do what you need to do. 

13 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Maybe no one wants to answer it because it's not worth the response. Yeah, "trading for a 36 year old QB who's rapidly declining and a big cap hit and 'cutting' a 23 year old QB" is the same thing as "signing a great LT who's still 30 with a big cap hit and moving your very young unknown LT to RT." Almost.

Ryan isn't "rapidly declining" though. Also, Armstead is 31, and has had a lot more problems with injuries than Ryan has. He also likely represents a big cap hit, too. 

So, my hypothetical is entirely apt. Fields is technically an unknown, just like Jenkins. 

The Bears need to get younger, and stay younger. They need to be built primarily through the draft, and hopefully UDFA. 

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Bates is visiting today, I believe

He is! Let's hope they snag him! 

Edited by Heinz D.

56 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Because he would cost an enormous amount of money, and we're just beginning to get the cap in shape. The proven commodity also has never played 16 games in a season, and seems to be getting even more injury prone. 

I've always liked Armstead. IMO, he's a very good player, but not a truly great one. We differ there. I doubt he'll make it to the Hall, but we'll see. 

You're also intentionally ignoring how many folks had Jenkins graded coming out of college. And his game tape from there, as well. 

I don't think Armstead was ever happening...but he isn't signed yet, so you never know. We all could end up surpised!

Right now, it's looking like Poles is as stupid and delusional as I am. Poor guy, 

That doesn't make much sense. You're twisting your logic into pretzels. The Bears were lucky to draft Jenkins where they did, and he had surgery. There's a story here, as far as the kid and his development goes. 

You draft guys, and you hope they work out. That's how this all works. If a guy fails. then you do what you need to do. 

How am I twisting my logic? You said Jenkins can be as good as Armstead. Anyone can be as good as anyone by your logic. That's optimistic and that's fine, but Armstead is great. If Jenkins is 75% of the player Armstead is, we'll be lucky.

Ryan isn't "rapidly declining" though. Also, Armstead is 31, and has had a lot more problems with injuries than Ryan has. He also likely represents a big cap hit, too. 

Ryan is absolutely "rapidly declining." His arm is fried.

Armstead doesn't have a ton of soft tissue or ligament issues though. He got run over by a player last year. Rough luck. FWIW I'm not a fan of signing Armstead. I've said that many times. I am a fan of signing some better OL though.

So, my hypothetical is entirely apt. Fields is technically an unknown, just like Jenkins. 

The Bears need to get younger, and stay younger. They need to be built primarily through the draft, and hopefully UDFA. 

The difference is Fields has more potential in his right pinky finger than Jenkins ever will.

He is! Let's hope they snag him! 

16 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

The difference is Fields has more potential in his right pinky finger than Jenkins ever will.

I'm not sure the gap is that wide. 

Time will tell.