Former NFL player Phillip Adams found to have severe CTE / Discussion on CTE and the future of the NFL

incognito_man

20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

but participation is decreasing in a decelerating way

we can be in denial if we want to, but football being played as it is today (resulting in CTE and the consequences thereof) has an expiration date.

This feels more like a cyclical/generational thing. But I dont want to get into the politics of this group of youth vs olders.

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Duh. But the money isn't always going to be there.

The big breakthrough will be when CTE can be diagnosed/measured on living brains. Then you're going to get guys getting tested earlier and earlier and for a LOT of them, they'll hang it up when faced with some real risk numbers.

Something like "Well, you have a 50% greater chance of developing nearly onset dementia if you play another 2 years".

That day will come.

Yeah, no, it wont. People like money and live in the moment. Additionally if they do hang it up, they are going to have an extraordinarily large base of NCAA players. Quick google tells me 460k NCAA players, of which 71k play football, of which 853 make it to the NFL each year. If someone quits, theyll just have to tap into the other 70k people who didnt make it. 

Quality might go down. Or maybe well have more Kurt Warners.

Edited by Matts4313

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Quality might go down

Yes it will. And with it, the money.

*Edit - all of this with the caveat that the league ignores the demonstrated problem instead of addressing it proactively and coming up with a real solution to it. It's definitely possible that happens. I hope it does.

Edited by incognito_man

Youve followed the draft. You realize how bad team suck at it. I guarantee there are some hidden gems in the 70k who didnt make it into the NFL. 

Which this could easily be fixed by expanding the practice squad to, lets say, 40. Youll always have something youve been developing. 

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Youve followed the draft. You realize how bad team suck at it. I guarantee there are some hidden gems in the 70k who didnt make it into the NFL. 

Which this could easily be fixed by expanding the practice squad to, lets say, 40. Youll always have something youve been developing. 

There will be a lot of inertia before its collapse, I agree. It will likely die off with a whimper rather than a bang.

I'm pessimistic there will be a workable solution to prevent the widespread CTE resultant from the inherent mechanisms of the sport.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

There will be a lot of inertia before its collapse, I agree. It will likely die off with a whimper rather than a bang.

I'm pessimistic there will be a workable solution to prevent the widespread CTE resultant from the inherent mechanisms of the sport.

The thing you are missing is that CTE has been in the NFL for 100 years and hasnt slowed it at all. And its only going to improve as we know how to better diagnose and treat brain trauma. 

In fact, one of the studies I read showed that the NFLs emphasis on rugby style tackles instead of bone jarring head hunting has already started to lower concussions as well as better post-concussion rest and recovery. 

You are making a mountain out of a molehill my friend. 

Edited by Matts4313

56 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

At this point, we all know what football is. Yet, we're still watching it, and people are still playing it.

Something like a drug.  The rush/ high is real and worth it when coupled with the compensation and fringe benefits.  The downstream cost is hard to factor in and outweigh the former.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Not really. We've been paying for entertainment since the beginning. A good chunk of it involving the risk of bodily harm.

I think society will eventually move towards online or virtual events. As people become more aware and understanding of the risks of violent sports, they'll opt out or just quit/retire early watering down the quality. ESports is in its infancy and should continue to grow as we get more technologically advanced. I don't think the switch happens in my lifetime, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it did.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think society will eventually move towards online or virtual events. As people become more aware and understanding of the risks of violent sports, they'll opt out or just quit/retire early watering down the quality. ESports is in its infancy and should continue to grow as we get more technologically advanced. I don't think the switch happens in my lifetime, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it did.

I hope I'm dead for that lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

As people become more aware and understanding of the risks of violent sports, they'll opt out or just quit/retire early watering down the quality.

:very confused face:

You dont think everyone has known this for 100 years? As for the risk, the risk are clearly going down. ACL Tears used to be a 18 month injury. Now that are like 9. Concussions you used to play through. Now you sit for a week. You used to be able to earhole a dude and then dive a QBs knees. Now you have to be a gentle giant. 

4 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

They could just simulate games using those espn animations

17 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

They could just simulate games using those espn animations

I think the pandemic accelerated humanity's already existent movement toward a Matrix-style "e-existence".

Humans have a natural progress to "escape" their reality: books, movies, VR, ..." until we all exist in a VR world for 5hrs a night after work instead of tvs and laptops.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I think the pandemic accelerated humanity's already existent movement toward a Matrix-style "e-existence".

Humans have a natural progress to "escape" their reality: books, movies, VR, ..." until we all exist in a VR world for 5hrs a night after work instead of tvs and laptops.

that you don't already exist there speaks to your slow evolution 

Santa Claus GIF by GIF Greeting Cards

• Like 1