WEEK 15: BENGALS AT BRONCO'S / ONE DOWN, FOUR TO GO

AKRNA

19 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Is there *any* reason for optimism going into 2022 in any of Fangio, Shurmur, Teddy, or Lock is still with the club? Like, I don’t even think keeping one of those QB’s around as a backup is palatable at this point, it’s absolutely time for a fresh start across the board at the position. 

I think the optimism would lie in the hope that none of those 4 will be with the club in 2022.   Lock's not built to be a backup, and he's certainly not the answer as a starter. 

Pretty easy to keep Rypien in his final ERFA cheap year as the 3rd QB / Covid-protected guy.   But we'll likely change both our starter and backup next year.  The backup market is actually pretty decent, and there are just so many better options than TeddyB for our team.   Dalton, Mariota & Fitzmagic would all likely get no more than pure backup money, and be 10x better than TeddyB's been for us this year.

(Side note - I hope he's OK concussion-wise.  But that doesn't mean we can't be brutally honest about his level of play and his flaws, either).

Edited by Broncofan

Renck couldn't have summarized our year better, in how we're built at present.  Pretty ridiculous to point fingers at anyone on D.    Pretty strong evidence if he sees it, no doubt the FO sees it as well (not the same as Klis, but we know he's the total FO voice & his personal takes are borderline ridiculous, while Renck's opinions actually have been very strong).

Edited by Broncofan

Obviously it was terrible to see Teddy go down. Hope he makes a full recovery.

I think all of us have come together now on the matter. Both are awful in their own special ways. 

Burrow didn't play spectacularly, but when he had to, he showed the poise and control required from a starting NFL QB. That was the difference.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Is there *any* reason for optimism going into 2022 in any of Fangio, Shurmur, Teddy, or Lock is still with the club? Like, I don’t even think keeping one of those QB’s around as a backup is palatable at this point, it’s absolutely time for a fresh start across the board at the position. 

Actually I'm more optimistic than I've been in years. We're literally a QB and good OC away from being very serious SB contenders. We've got a lot of young talent and great coaching on the D side and the OL. Outside of QB we don't have any glaring holes.

I was looking at spotrac the other day and Paton has really done a great job with the cap. He's not out on a limb with dead money and has a lot of cap space.

We've got a great D, definitely SB capable. 

What would we look like with Kubiak and Cousins instead of TB and Shurmur?  Cousins and Rodgers have a good chance of being available via trade. Both teams could use the cap relief and the trade compensation.

Personally, I doubt Paton is looking to fire Vic, the other three you mention are toast.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

He wasn't the only reason but he certainly played a large part.

Where were you when on his 1st drive he allowed Denver to take the lead when we had not even crossed the opponent's 35 line? 2 of his 3 drives have been in the redzone. The last takes 20 yds of penalties we can hope for nothing more.
For 3 QT we got pissed off with Teddy and Shurmur's playcalling. Need 6 yds, Teddy for 4 yds .....
Trying for a Lamar Jackson wasn't the smartest thing about him, but at least we got some excitement back in the game.
We can blame him for the Turnover but for the bad defensive coverage where Cinncinnati takes the advantage in 2 actions who is at fault? Him ? Sure the defense played well, but did the Cinncinnati defense miss a cover like this or not? NO because Shurmur and Teddy don't look beyond 7 yds ......
Not sure that yesterday with Lock throughout the match we lose him.
This does not mean however that he would have been the future QB of the franchise but must admit that watching the attack on Denver with Bridgewater is like watching a Christmas movie ...... boring !!

56 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Actually I'm more optimistic than I've been in years. We're literally a QB and good OC away from being very serious SB contenders. We've got a lot of young talent and great coaching on the D side and the OL. Outside of QB we don't have any glaring holes.

I was looking at spotrac the other day and Paton has really done a great job with the cap. He's not out on a limb with dead money and has a lot of cap space.

We've got a great D, definitely SB capable

What would we look like with Kubiak and Cousins instead of TB and Shurmur?  Cousins and Rodgers have a good chance of being available via trade. Both teams could use the cap relief and the trade compensation.

Personally, I doubt Paton is looking to fire Vic, the other three you mention are toast.

I think we lack a real pressure on the QB. We manage to move it out of the pocket but rarely get our hands on it when we are close. The ILB post remains even a source of concern.

The problem is that the market is unattractive.
If we get out of A-Rod and Russell Wilson (let's grant the fact that Watson doesn't want to come anyway) there isn't much better.
Therefore if A-Rod prefers Pittsburgh and Wilson does not seem to want to move any more, we had better find an OC whose game project fits with the QB that we will have as NE does with Mc Daniels and Mac Jones and keep Fangio for his defense.

The games are just so frustrating to watch anymore.  and whoever calls out the defense they're the only reason I kept watching lol. 4 out of our first 5 drives were punts. and the mismanagement of the final drive before the half was so poorly executed.  Drew came in and I thought showed a spark but than turned back into his usual self.

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Renck couldn't have summarized our year better, in how we're built at present.  Pretty ridiculous to point fingers at anyone on D.    Pretty strong evidence if he sees it, no doubt the FO sees it as well (not the same as Klis, but we know he's the total FO voice & his personal takes are borderline ridiculous, while Renck's opinions actually have been very strong).

I've been arguing with some of these clowns on Twitter. It's incredible to sit there and say the defense is at fault for allowing 15 points in a home game to a team that averages 26ppg. Like, galaxy brain levels of stupidity in that thought process. I agree the long TD pass was poor D, but the point stands that the D did more than enough to win.

Scoring 10 points in an NFL game is just not acceptable. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

We've got a great D, definitely SB capable. 

I'm optimistic about the core we have, the GM we have, and the cap space we have. But to 101's point, if we come into next season with Teddy and/or Lock in a starting role, fans simply aren't going to go to the games. People were booing through the game yesterday. Fans aren't showing up. For a team about to be sold, that has to change and fast.

We have the core, but the most important position on the field is a massive black hole. If they land a big fish, this is a SB team. 

I really don’t get the optimism in Fangio being retained, I really don’t care what he brings to the table as a DC. He’s not being paid as a DC nor is that his role. He has lost almost every big game in his career, he is something like 1-22 now trailing a halftime, continues to make worse game management decisions than a flag football coach.

He is done, he was given his dream defense to win with and the type of QB he wanted and he has failed. End of story, get his *** along with Shurmur, Teddy and Drew out of town.

• Like 1

As for the game it’s about as typical as it’s been the last 3 seasons, defense plays great, offense struggles to have any consistency because they at some point have to throw the ball.

The OL was not great by any means yesterday, play calling was not amazing either in terms of play design but the QBs simply cannot make throws that 80% of the league can. One QB won’t throw past 10 yards and the other will but is wildly inconsistent and either throws near picks, perfect pass or airmails it OOB.

That is not sustainable to only run the game, if a defense is run blitzing you it’s because they know you can’t throw the ball and the QBs are too dumb to check out of a run. We have two TEs with sub 4.6 speed yet primarily use them on crossing routes or in the flats, we have 2 big jump ball, big body WRs who cannot get the ball reliably thrown to them, then we have a superb route runner who we use as a decoy and hardly try to get him involved in the offense. Quite a bit of that is coaching no doubt, Shurmur couldn’t scheme himself 21 points in a PowderPuff game. But the game plan to stopping our offense is easy, load the box. Either the QBs need to check out or use timeouts in key situations, but then we can’t do that because the dumbass HC can’t mange them.