WEEK 15: BENGALS AT BRONCO'S / ONE DOWN, FOUR TO GO

AKRNA

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Ppl were referencing the hit by the defender was mild, though - here, the ground is the reason that the skull stops so violently though, but yes, correct on the definition.  Practically, the head hitting the ground and brain hitting the opposite side is the same effect, though.

It’s not the same effect though. second impact is a distinct (and honestly more dangerous) mechanism of concussion. I get a lot more worried when someone comes to be with a mechanism of second impact.

edit- concussions are one of my areas of expertise as a military emergency doc. lol

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk

4 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

It’s not the same effect though. second impact is a distinct (and honestly more dangerous) mechanism of concussion. I get a lot more worried when someone comes to be with a mechanism of second impact.

Same effect = it was the 2nd impact that mattered - that's what I said in my 1st post.   We're on the same page.

19 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It was the impact on the ground.   That's actually where most concussions occur...

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I never denied that it was the second impact that caused the concussion, only that your definition of coup-contrecoup was wrong and that they are not “in effect” the same.

"Same effect" statement I made was specifically to the ground being responsible.   Yes, your definition is absolutely correct and I actually acknowledged it in my 1st reply to you.   Geez, let's move on.

Edited by Broncofan