Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

16 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

It's a maybe, and I could see the combination of all except Fangio.  Not saying it can't happen, but typically there's some sort of sinew that connects some member of the higher-ups or the 2nd-tier in the staff with each of the coordinators; one of them having worked with that individuals previously or having worked with someone who worked closely with them in the past.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any of Spielman, Pederson, or Bisaccia having any connection within 2 degrees of Fangio.  And the closest connection the Jags would have to him in that instance would be the guy they're letting go and running out on a rail in this instance: Baalke.

Doesn't mean the jags wouldn't be able to pull a pretty strong veteran DC in this instance with the staff they'd be assembling there, but someone like Mike Zimmer would seem far more likely than Fangio, given what would be assembled.

My main hope for Fangio is that they flew him in to interview a few days ago.  At first, people thought it was for the head coach position, but I've been hearing that it was actually for DC.  Hard to say though, but it's all just conjecture out on the interwebs.

34 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I thought Leftwich to Jacksonville was basically a done deal, what happened?

There's not much verifiable news coming out from the team, but from what I've heard, Leftwich gave Shad Khan an ultimatum that if he wanted to hire him, it couldn't be with Trent Baalke as the GM.  He wanted to bring in his guy Wilson from Arizona. 

As of today, Baalke hasn't been fired, but one very interesting bit of news is that former Vikings GM, Rick Spielman, was brought in for an interview.  It could be for an EVP type of position, but nobody knows for sure.

12 hours ago, I was leaning a little toward hoping we would get Doug Pederson, but after the Brian Flores lawsuit news, I've decided that it would be awesome if the Jags would just belt it out of the park and fire Baalke, and then bring in Spielman, Wilson, and Leftwich. 

15 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

There's not much verifiable news coming out from the team, but from what I've heard, Leftwich gave Shad Khan an ultimatum that if he wanted to hire him, it couldn't be with Trent Baalke as the GM.  He wanted to bring in his guy Wilson from Arizona. 

As of today, Baalke hasn't been fired, but one very interesting bit of news is that former Vikings GM, Rick Spielman, was brought in for an interview.  It could be for an EVP type of position, but nobody knows for sure.

12 hours ago, I was leaning a little toward hoping we would get Doug Pederson, but after the Brian Flores lawsuit news, I've decided that it would be awesome if the Jags would just belt it out of the park and fire Baalke, and then bring in Spielman, Wilson, and Leftwich. 

Its funny that you say this. One of my earlier thoughts was I wondered how Flores' lawsuit would affect the teams with no current HC. Like, would the league ignore it or go hyper responsive. Because they have no ability to adjust normally, the pendulum is always one way or the other.

Saints are bringing in Flores tomorrow along with the Vikings having a 9 hour interview with a minority coach today.

• Like 1

Its weird how long some of these hires are taking. Last week was thorough now its just ridiculous.

AFAICS there is no path forward in Jacksonville with Baalke. It will be a 30 team league with decent free agents with options excluding Houston and Jacksonville for the next 3 years unless they are crazy overpaid. His reputation was probably in the 20s out of 100. Its probably a 4 right now.

Baalke tells players about their technique. Caserio wears a headset on Sundays.

Flores looks to have a rock solid case on the Dolphins and maybe the Giants. No idea on the Broncos.

Nitpick on that lawsuit about Dungy.

Dungy failed to take an incredible team far enough, The next guy won a Super Bowl.

Dungy was immediately hired after Tampa let him go and he might still be there today but for his own personal life experience and choices. There are possibly 20 less minorities in the pipeline because of Dungy's decision to walk away.

I don't think the Dungy being treated exactly like SD treated a 14-2 Marty is racism.

Edited by SkippyX

25 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Its funny that you say this. One of my earlier thoughts was I wondered how Flores' lawsuit would affect the teams with no current HC. Like, would the league ignore it or go hyper responsive. Because they have no ability to adjust normally, the pendulum is always one way or the other.

Saints are bringing in Flores tomorrow along with the Vikings having a 9 hour interview with a minority coach today.

I really think a big part of the problem for the contingent of black guys interviewing for head coaching jobs is that most of them are DC's and the new fad that teams are all looking for is the young, offensive-minded, McVay types. 

For people who only look at the number of minority head coaches, it may look like these guys are being pushed away because of their color, and in some cases that certainly could be the case, unfortunately, but the fact that many of these applicants in this cycle are DC's could be playing a bigger role than people realize.

Vikings fans, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is that even though they might interview someone like Flores, they will probably go for an offensive-minded coach because they just got through 8 years with Mike Zimmer and could be looking to go the opposite way this time.

27 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Its weird how long some of these hires are taking. Last week was thorough now its just ridiculous.

AFAICS there is no path forward in Jacksonville with Baalke. It will be a 30 team league with decent free agents with options excluding Houston and Jacksonville for the next 3 years unless they are crazy overpaid. His reputation was probably in the 20s out of 100. Its probably a 4 right now.

Baalke tells players about their technique. Caserio wears a headset on Sundays.

Flores looks to have a rock solid case on the Dolphins and maybe the Giants. No idea on the Broncos.

In Jacksonville, I could maybe see them going with Doug Pederson, and then having Rick Spielman above Baalke, essentially rendering Baalke powerless.  The only thing is, if you are going to do that, why bother?  Might as well just can Baalke now and move on with Spielman and a new GM.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Spielman just looks like a snake oil salesman to me, so having two of those geniuses together just sounds like trouble.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I really think a big part of the problem for the contingent of black guys interviewing for head coaching jobs is that most of them are DC's and the new fad that teams are all looking for is the young, offensive-minded, McVay types. 

You are exactly right that there are more minority defensive coaches. Tomlin and Ron Rivera might be the only ones to actually even win a single playoff game and they are both defensive minded. All the other defensive minded coaches (who are minorities) have flopped super hard.

To be clear, that has nothing to with race. It has to do with offensive/defensive. Theres been a lot of terrible white coaches also. But the most successful coaches in the league right now (Reid, Billy B, Arians, MLF, McVay, Shanny, Taylor) all just happen to be offensive minded white dudes. And yes, I know Billy B is technically a defensive coach, but he has been the offensive play caller as well. I think he could coach any spot on a football field.  

Just now, Chiefer said:

Spielman just looks like a snake oil salesman to me, so having two of those geniuses together just sounds like trouble.

He does look pretty slick, and to some extent he is, but he's also a pretty good GM.  I could if we went forward with Spielman / Baalke / Pederson, I could see Baalke having even more trouble with Pederson and then Spielman would just get him out of there, and take over GM duties himself until they found a new GM.