Is Greg Roman the greatest offensive mind in football?

NudeTayne

The real puppet master behind Lamar?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Greg Roman rank as an offensive mind??

• He's the best. Roman is making (tasty) chicken salad out of chickens with their heads cut off.
    • Top-5. Let's not be hyperbolic. He still has Mark Andrews.
    • Top-10. Greg has shown to be able to plug-and-play an UDFA-QB-talent and Tyler Huntley into his system with similar results.
    • Top-15. His system depends on gadget guys to work and leans on the defense, but he is the real heart of the team. Harbaugh gets undue credit though is great at kickoff coverage.
  2. 2. Seeing what we have in recent weeks and in the pre-season, do we hit the brakes on extending Lamar?

• Yes. Huntley will be on a rookie contract for a while longer and is clearly the guy. Flip Lamar in the offseason to a desperate team.
    • No, McCaffrey got 4/$64 mil. It's not that crippling a deal and could probably have an out after year-three.
    • TBD. Make it clear that it's an open competition at offensive weapon.
  3. 3. Do the Ravens make Greg Roman the highest-paid OC in the league?

• Yes. Are you dumb!? Lock him up.
    • No doi, Sherlock. He needs a real financial commitment well above #1 OC so he isn't lured away to an HC gig.
    • Top-5 contract. Let's not be hyperbolic.
    • Honestly it might be time to blow it up in Baltimore so I'd let him go another year before considering making Roman the highest paid at his position.

As an avid football fan, I watch the going-ons of several teams. One such team is the Baltimore Ravens. I've been excited to watch the ascent of an electrifying talent at the QB position, a player who can both make defenders miss in the open field as well as make clutch throws on the biggest stage. He's young, oozes leadership and is only entering his prime, only going to get better as he matures. Tyler Huntley is truly a phenom.

I look at the system that runs such plays as the quadruple read option to perfection, somehow scheming open their elite tight end despite everyone knowing he's going to get the ball, a system that can make a faster Taysom Hill into league MVP, perhaps a system that could make Taysom himself into league MVP and worth all the escalators in his contract.

What I'm obviously getting at is Greg Roman. Has he been the infinity stone hiding in plain sight, the last holcrux to unlocking the Ravens passing game to being slightly above league-average? 

I wonder if he is been underappreciated and undervalued, and of course I wonder if it's time for an extension or even a promotion. With Roman's leadership I wonder if John Harbaugh would actually be relieved with the unorthodox repositioning of duties to returning to special teams. 

With Roman having a more alpha demeanor, the type to inspire others to go chop wood, being an ex-defensive lineman with an insatiable hunger--5'8", 255 per Wikipedia--I wonder if the team would follow him to Valhalla when they would only follow Harbaugh off a cliff in the divisional round.

Please discuss in earnest. Thank you.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

Some of us have higher opinions of the Ravens team than others, I suppose. I happen to believe in what they are doing on offense. You don't gotta be so negative.

Just so I'm clear you want opinions, but not ones you disagree with? I'm 50/50 on whether this even a troll thread or not it's that insane to me

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

Just so I'm clear you want opinions, but not ones you disagree with?

Yes, I think you've got it.

You can just say you're more of a Matt Canada guy--would save us both some time.

Edited by NudeTayne

46 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Some of us have higher opinions of the Ravens team than others, I suppose. I happen to believe in what they are doing on offense. You don't gotta be so negative.

They are averaging under 24 PPG. What exactly has he done to receive this praise? 

If you're an organization looking to bring in a future HC that can mold a young dual-threat QB into a unanimous MVP before watching him regress back to his rookie form only to look worse than his backup QB who was a UDFA, then Greg Roman is THE GUY for you!

Sure, his running concepts haven't changed in a decade and largely rely on having 2 TE's + 1 FB on the field at all times. Sure, his route combinations often result in multiple guys in the same area of the field or receivers running into other. Sure, he can't beat Cover 0. But are those really big issues when it comes to an Offensive Coordinator? I don't think so. I mean, all you need to do to not have those issues is have your QB playing out of his mind and have a top-3 OL and Justin Tucker. 

I love Greg Roman. I think if you're the Broncos or Jaguars or any other team looking for a head coach soon, you gotta swoop this guy up!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If you're an organization looking to bring in a future HC that can mold a young dual-threat QB into a unanimous MVP before watching him regress back to his rookie form only to look worse than his backup QB who was a UDFA, then Greg Roman is THE GUY for you!

Sure, his running concepts haven't changed in a decade and largely rely on having 2 TE's + 1 FB on the field at all times. Sure, his route combinations often result in multiple guys in the same area of the field or receivers running into other. Sure, he can't beat Cover 0. But are those really big issues when it comes to an Offensive Coordinator? I don't think so. I mean, all you need to do to not have those issues is have your QB playing out of his mind and have a top-3 OL and Justin Tucker. 

I love Greg Roman. I think if you're the Broncos or Jaguars or any other team looking for a head coach soon, you gotta swoop this guy up!

Great sales pitch. I hope those teams read this.