Post Game Thoughts- At Bears.

cconocool

Rookie qbs don't have much of a chance against a Zimmer D.

Quit trying to score with less than 2:00 minutes left. It has always backfired on us. We throw three times then need to punt.

Hicks always has our number. So don't feel bad. Hopefully, it will entice the interior to do better against Donald/ the Rams.

It feels like a good momentum game to start up a winning streak.

We should keep up the 6 offensive line schemes. I am surprised we didn't keep it up. It was working well, but on the first down we passed and got behind the sticks. 

Trade Hunter if the price is right? He cannot stay on the field. He is good, but we have so much depth along the D-line.

I really appreciated our punter in this game, even with the one block. It goes to show how valuable they are. I wonder what we traded for him. It was a good deal.

Edited by cconocool
Spelling mistake.

It was a win. That’s all that matters.

The defense is playing better. Let’s hope Kendricks doesn’t get suspended. 

Dantzler was much better than Breeland. While it’s hard to tell much against this opponent, but no DPI and some solid tackling. Keep it up. 

Wonnum is figuring it out. 

Cole was trying single handedly to sabotage the offense. And it was even worse that they just left him one on one with Hicks. 

Receivers were terrible. No one was getting open. I don’t know if it was the play calling/play design that was creating the problem. But Cousins rarely had anywhere to go with the ball. 

Cousins needs to get out of this funk. He’s making just enough throws and making just enough plays to survive, but he needs to find his rhythm again. 

Adam Thielen is missed.

Special teams was really good. They need to work on blocking for the punter. The tipped punt wasn’t the only time Chicago got close. 

Give Nwangwu more carries. Let him take some of the work load in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Easily one of the worst officiated games I’ve seen this year. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cconocool said:

I feel sorry for Nagy. He deserves to keep his job. The NFL is entirely what have you done for me today. He was in the playoffs last year. 

Nagy has no one to blame but himself.  It doesn't matter that they were in the playoffs last year, were it not a COVID year where lots of funky stuff happened, they wouldn't have made the playoffs then.  In reality, he hasn't improved as a coach the entire time he's been there.  No one should feel sorry for Nagy, he doesn't deserve that kind of sympathy.

Last night was a composite of Nagy's entire tenure, making ridiculous decisions, bad play-calling, and sloppy play.  He's managed to make Zimmer look bad lots of times, which is an indictment on Zimmer as well, but I put a lot of that on Hicks, who's managed to be the biggest defensive nemesis to the Vikings of any opposing player in many years.  For whatever reason, he has the Vikings' number every time he plays them.  I think the Bears, more often than not, win in spite of Nagy, rather than because of him.    

Edited by swede700

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

It’s still beyond me why we didn’t bring Kene in more to at least make the defense think. It’s Patterson vibes all over again. You don’t even need to use him like a decoy. Just having some fresh legs in there that is that quick can help wear a defensive player out

Cook just isn’t productive this year. I don’t get it. Not sure if it’s time to move on from Cook, there’s so much more burst with Kene in the game and Mattison is more than capable, especially if we can retool the interior OL. Didn’t like what I saw from Bradbury and Cole. Cole really should be a backup, just like Udoh. Don’t want to see Bradbury next year either. Cole can be a stopgap at center, draft another Center and let Davis and Udoh compete at RG.

34 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Cook just isn’t productive this year. I don’t get it. Not sure if it’s time to move on from Cook, there’s so much more burst with Kene in the game and Mattison is more than capable, especially if we can retool the interior OL. Didn’t like what I saw from Bradbury and Cole. Cole really should be a backup, just like Udoh. Don’t want to see Bradbury next year either. Cole can be a stopgap at center, draft another Center and let Davis and Udoh compete at RG.

It’s not a coincidence that the run game has looked worse than the last couple of years and Rick Dennison is not with the team. 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

It’s still beyond me why we didn’t bring Kene in more to at least make the defense think. It’s Patterson vibes all over again. You don’t even need to use him like a decoy. Just having some fresh legs in there that is that quick can help wear a defensive player out

Kene looked great with his few carries, but the coaching staff doesn't care. To get the staff to give him more carries would mean to have a competent staff, which we don't currently have. 

48 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think it has more to due with injuries than system. Cook wasn’t paid to be a system back. 

It’s not about system. And Cook wasn’t paid to be a miracle worker. It’s about play design. It’s about what plays are called when. When you’re IOL is getting blown up, yet you continue to run up the middle that’s not a RB issue. That’s a play calling and management issue. When your offensive line is 5 yards upfield, yet the running back is getting gang tackle at 2 yards, what do you expect the RB to do?

Rick Dennison wasn’t just the o-line coach, he was also the run game coordinator. His experience with that aspect has been sorely missed. Having the two most important offensive coaches on the staff as the two least experienced coaches has proven to be a big issue for this team. 

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s not about system. And Cook wasn’t paid to be a miracle worker. It’s about play design. It’s about what plays are called when. When you’re IOL is getting blown up, yet you continue to run up the middle that’s not a RB issue. That’s a play calling and management issue. When your offensive line is 5 yards upfield, yet the running back is getting gang tackle at 2 yards, what do you expect the RB to do?

Rick Dennison wasn’t just the o-line coach, he was also the run game coordinator. His experience with that aspect has been sorely missed. Having the two most important offensive coaches on the staff as the two least experienced coaches has proven to be a big issue for this team. 

So if Zimmer is retained, should the offensive coaching staff all be replaced? 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

🤣 Were you asleep last week? I mean 200 yard games -- nothing to see here.

Cook is 3rd in the league in rushing @ 4.7 ypc. He's over 1000 yards this season. I'm not sure what you are getting at. 

Kene needs more carries -- yes -- but mostly because he's got capable fresh legs. What do you project (forecast) Nwangu (7 total carries at 7 ypc) is going to do if he becomes the starter? Do you think he's going to be 2009 Chris Johnson every season? What -- based on 7 carries -- all of them on fresh legs?

Dalvin is one of the best running backs of this generation. There's no forecasting needed.

5 minutes ago, babababa said:

🤣 Were you asleep last week? I mean 200 yard games -- nothing to see here.

Cook is 3rd in the league in rushing @ 4.7 ypc. He's over 1000 yards this season. I'm not sure what you are getting at. 

Kene needs more carries -- yes -- but mostly because he's got capable fresh legs. What do you project (forecast) Nwangu (7 total carries at 7 ypc) is going to do if he becomes the starter? Do you think he's going to be 2009 Chris Johnson every season? What -- based on 7 carries -- all of them on fresh legs?

Dalvin is one of the best running backs of this generation. There's no forecasting needed.

That Steelers game certainly went against the recent trend. He’s had stretches where he’s consistently struggled to find running room. Not doubting that he’s one of the best, he’s just not been all that consistent but who’s fault is this at the end of the day? Injuries have hindered him some prior to the Steelers game and the play calling. The three weeks prior to the Steelers game Cook was averaging under 4 yards per carry. Seems the explosive element may not be there as of late.  

4 of the last 5 Cook played he’s been held in check and what I mean by that is big plays have been limited and defenses have mostly shut him down (under 4 yards per carry). Giving a guy like Kene a few more carries per game wouldn’t hurt, he’s clearly faster and may be a bit fresher. Might even help Cook down the stretch to have another homerun threat in the backfield. 

Edited by vikingsrule