BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

14 hours ago, Blue said:

College football is going to implode within the next 10 years. Big 10 and SEC will cannibalize the other conferences, run their own championship brackets, then crown their own champs as the national champs and refuse to play each other. Absolute ****-show with a bunch of juniors sitting out whole seasons to prep for the NFL.

12 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I think NIL expansion will balance things more than we think.

Playoff expansion is really the only solution now that’s viable, and it was predictably short sighted of the boomer Presidents and Committee to not see it while ESPN has been transparently running their own monopoly with the CFP and weekly show while being the official network of the SEC.

Well everyone, here’s your response. The B1G is more financially powerful than the SEC and is now playing chess to have markets from coast to coast, all while Fox smiles and continues to compete hard.

13 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I think NIL expansion will balance things more than we think.

Ah, but it's not!

What I think you mean is that we'll have more competitive teams across college football, which I agree with. We'll see a lot of money splashed around the next 3-4 years, and then it'll dry up once enough people get burned by teenagers who don't pan out. Then there's the matter of bigger schools trying to push more restrictive transfer rules to keep their players, etc., etc. There will still be money going around, of course, but it won't be as lucrative. The current NIL transfer system doesn't strike me as a sustainable long-term situation, but one that will slowly sort itself out.

That's not the problem. The problem is that both of these conferences are facing a very real, very likely situation where 3-4 of their teams finish with 1 loss or fewer, and no clear conference champ out of that bunch. Imagine an Auburn beat Texas beat Florida beat Alabama beat Auburn scenario where that's the only loss any of those teams had because they didn't all play each other. You're back to a BCS ****-show where people have to vote on the eye test as to who they think is the best team, which is going to piss off a lot of teams and cause them to start rethinking the mega-conference situation altogether, or you have to run your own conference tournament.

And once they're running their own brackets, you're facing a time crunch. There are only so many weeks in the college football season. Teams that lose in the conference tourney are still going to want to do bowl games because, as stupid as the Idaho Potato Bowl is, it makes money for itself and the teams who play in it. It's the same reason the CFB playoffs are still played in the Rose/Sugar/Orange/Fiesta Bowls. You can't use the bowls for your conference tourney brackets because, quite frankly, this is the only time there is forced interconference play. Nobody, not the schools and not the bowls, wants to give up the possibility of a Notre Dame-Georgia game between two 10-win teams. So the bowls are here to stay for the same reason mega-conferences are happening: money.

But let's say we sort that out. You are running into the same problem the current playoff is with expansion: you are cutting into NFL Draft prep for your seniors and juniors, who make up the core of any playoff contender. And no, NIL isn't going to make them change their minds about dipping at the end of the season. There is far, far too much at stake for these young men to risk 10-15 years of 8-digit salaries over a series of playoff games. We're not just talking about injuries, we're talking about training for the Combine, Pro Days, prepping for interviews, and generally just taking care of their bodies and meeting with teams. You WILL see teams, especially on the fringes of the playoff seeding, lose their top players right when they need them most.

So yeah, this is an obvious ****show about to happen and I don't know how it pans out eventually, but the NCAA **** the bed by basically assuming NIL would never be a thing and ignoring aggressive conference expansion moves made solely to secure television rights. The NCAA is a voluntary organization, yes, but the conferences needed to give it some teeth to protect themselves. I'm sure the Pac-12, ACC, and Big 12 all figured they were Too Big To Fail, though. "Couldn't happen to me!" mentality after watching the Big East and SWC get eaten alive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue said:

Ah, but it's not!

What I think you mean is that we'll have more competitive teams across college football, which I agree with. We'll see a lot of money splashed around the next 3-4 years, and then it'll dry up once enough people get burned by teenagers who don't pan out. Then there's the matter of bigger schools trying to push more restrictive transfer rules to keep their players, etc., etc. There will still be money going around, of course, but it won't be as lucrative. The current NIL transfer system doesn't strike me as a sustainable long-term situation, but one that will slowly sort itself out.

That's not the problem. The problem is that both of these conferences are facing a very real, very likely situation where 3-4 of their teams finish with 1 loss or fewer, and no clear conference champ out of that bunch. Imagine an Auburn beat Texas beat Florida beat Alabama beat Auburn scenario where that's the only loss any of those teams had because they didn't all play each other. You're back to a BCS ****-show where people have to vote on the eye test as to who they think is the best team, which is going to piss off a lot of teams and cause them to start rethinking the mega-conference situation altogether, or you have to run your own conference tournament.

And once they're running their own brackets, you're facing a time crunch. There are only so many weeks in the college football season. Teams that lose in the conference tourney are still going to want to do bowl games because, as stupid as the Idaho Potato Bowl is, it makes money for itself and the teams who play in it. It's the same reason the CFB playoffs are still played in the Rose/Sugar/Orange/Fiesta Bowls. You can't use the bowls for your conference tourney brackets because, quite frankly, this is the only time there is forced interconference play. Nobody, not the schools and not the bowls, wants to give up the possibility of a Notre Dame-Georgia game between two 10-win teams. So the bowls are here to stay for the same reason mega-conferences are happening: money.

But let's say we sort that out. You are running into the same problem the current playoff is with expansion: you are cutting into NFL Draft prep for your seniors and juniors, who make up the core of any playoff contender. And no, NIL isn't going to make them change their minds about dipping at the end of the season. There is far, far too much at stake for these young men to risk 10-15 years of 8-digit salaries over a series of playoff games. We're not just talking about injuries, we're talking about training for the Combine, Pro Days, prepping for interviews, and generally just taking care of their bodies and meeting with teams. You WILL see teams, especially on the fringes of the playoff seeding, lose their top players right when they need them most.

So yeah, this is an obvious ****show about to happen and I don't know how it pans out eventually, but the NCAA **** the bed by basically assuming NIL would never be a thing and ignoring aggressive conference expansion moves made solely to secure television rights. The NCAA is a voluntary organization, yes, but the conferences needed to give it some teeth to protect themselves. I'm sure the Pac-12, ACC, and Big 12 all figured they were Too Big To Fail, though. "Couldn't happen to me!" mentality after watching the Big East and SWC get eaten alive.

3 hours ago, Blue said:

Sorry for the long post, didn't expect to write that much.

tl;dr money talks and what it's saying is "lol the idea of a unanimous CFB champ is ****ed"

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Playoff expansion is really the only solution now that’s viable

☝️ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I’m trying to figure out who you’d follow. I’m thinking Missouri or Kansas, so that fits.

Definitely not Missouri,   Can’t stand that place.   On point about no one around me being worth a damn though.   LSU if i HAD to say I follow anyone.   
K State and Missouri are hard passes 

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

This is untrue

lol I know, I'm just messing around.

It's a pretty involved situation with a few different layers, I'll try and some it up as best I can.

For context, I am married with 2 kids 6 and 10 years old. My wife is an only child and really the only thing they have in their life is my wife and our kids. So they have been living with us for the past 4 years.

Her mom, when my oldest was born became the primary caretaker when we were working (which was super helpful) Fast forward, 6 years and we have our 2nd child that is now 2 and all of the sudden they were basically like "our landlord is going to raise our rent and we can't afford to live near you (they could)" so basically, we were kind of forced into this situation. Because it was that or pay for full time child care which we couldn't do at the time because my wife was finishing her doctorate. 

They both "retire" and really do nothing but have a small bakery business to make some extra cash. So as this time goes on my wife is just super unhappy with this living situation. I won't into all the ins and outs but my inlaws have some issues. In our current house, we signed a 5 year lease with our landlord, so she was like, "when this lease is up, I want to not do this anymore" and she was really struggling with how to tell them and all that. 

That sets the table for part 2 of this situation. So we got this house in 2019 and we are in the middle of this 5 year lease. As everywhere else the market explodes and we are getting a pretty great deal in rent in relation to the market right now. 

My wife gets an email from our landlord in the middle of the night like on June 23rd saying "your parents have been running an  unsanctioned "commercial business" out of the house and that is in violation of your lease. You have 7 days to leave the house." This dude has known about this for a while and it was never a problem until he realized that he could use the situation to extort us into raising the rent because it the letter of the lease he is right and we shouldn't be doing that.

So we basically freak the f-out. This came out of nowhere. The guy was expecting us to cave and just give him more money but I wasn't doing that. I don't trust this guy at all anymore and I am not signing another lease with him, so we decide to just ask for more time and move. Because if we fight it and lose, it could technically be an eviction and that destroys your record.

My biggest priority was my kids, I wanted to not blow up their life. I wanted to keep them in the same town and the same school and there was no way in this market we were finding another house for 6 people in our budget and also, we didn't want to do this anymore. So we tell her parents this and they lose their ever loving minds. They make the situation all about them. They literally stop talking to us, our sending emails (yes emails to people sitting in the same house with them) about how they are going to have to move out of state and we were selfish and we are taking their grandkids from them and throw a huge hissy fit.

So my wife is devastated and so, I just take on the brunt of finding us a house while the situation in our current house is basically untenable. Long story short, we find a house that keeps our kids in the same school. My inlaws found an apartment in town. They are talking to her and barely talking to me because basically it was the easiest thing for them to just make me the villian in all of this. 

We are moving at the end of the month and I am counting the days.....

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

lol I know, I'm just messing around.

It's a pretty involved situation with a few different layers, I'll try and some it up as best I can.

For context, I am married with 2 kids 6 and 10 years old. My wife is an only child and really the only thing they have in their life is my wife and our kids. So they have been living with us for the past 4 years.

Her mom, when my oldest was born became the primary caretaker when we were working (which was super helpful) Fast forward, 6 years and we have our 2nd child that is now 2 and all of the sudden they were basically like "our landlord is going to raise our rent and we can't afford to live near you (they could)" so basically, we were kind of forced into this situation. Because it was that or pay for full time child care which we couldn't do at the time because my wife was finishing her doctorate. 

They both "retire" and really do nothing but have a small bakery business to make some extra cash. So as this time goes on my wife is just super unhappy with this living situation. I won't into all the ins and outs but my inlaws have some issues. In our current house, we signed a 5 year lease with our landlord, so she was like, "when this lease is up, I want to not do this anymore" and she was really struggling with how to tell them and all that. 

That sets the table for part 2 of this situation. So we got this house in 2019 and we are in the middle of this 5 year lease. As everywhere else the market explodes and we are getting a pretty great deal in rent in relation to the market right now. 

My wife gets an email from our landlord in the middle of the night like on June 23rd saying "your parents have been running an  unsanctioned "commercial business" out of the house and that is in violation of your lease. You have 7 days to leave the house." This dude has known about this for a while and it was never a problem until he realized that he could use the situation to extort us into raising the rent because it the letter of the lease he is right and we shouldn't be doing that.

So we basically freak the f-out. This came out of nowhere. The guy was expecting us to cave and just give him more money but I wasn't doing that. I don't trust this guy at all anymore and I am not signing another lease with him, so we decide to just ask for more time and move. Because if we fight it and lose, it could technically be an eviction and that destroys your record.

My biggest priority was my kids, I wanted to not blow up their life. I wanted to keep them in the same town and the same school and there was no way in this market we were finding another house for 6 people in our budget and also, we didn't want to do this anymore. So we tell her parents this and they lose their ever loving minds. They make the situation all about them. They literally stop talking to us, our sending emails (yes emails to people sitting in the same house with them) about how they are going to have to move out of state and we were selfish and we are taking their grandkids from them and throw a huge hissy fit.

So my wife is devastated and so, I just take on the brunt of finding us a house while the situation in our current house is basically untenable. Long story short, we find a house that keeps our kids in the same school. My inlaws found an apartment in town. They are talking to her and barely talking to me because basically it was the easiest thing for them to just make me the villian in all of this. 

We are moving at the end of the month and I am counting the days.....

Damn man. Shady *** landlord. And sorry about your in laws. I’ll steer my jokes toward your wives mother now instead of yours. Seems more fitting! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Damn man. Shady *** landlord. And sorry about your in laws. I’ll steer my jokes toward your wives mother now instead of yours. Seems more fitting! 

Yeah he is a garbage person. After are settled down, I’m going to do my research a little more because he is keeping our security deposit and everything. I’ve been focused on just everything else for now though 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Yeah he is a garbage person. After are settled down, I’m going to do my research a little more because he is keeping our security deposit and everything. I’ve been focused on just everything else for now though 

There has got to be a time period I feel of him knowing about the “unsanctioned commercial business” and when he can act on it I would think in regards to ending the lease. If you can prove he knew about it that is. I could be wrong but I’m sure lawyer @Ragnarok would know more.

1.sorry to hear that to both Jlash and Pete. Housing market is stupid ridiculous. I started looking two years ago and basically am just sitting on my hands as the market is finally starting to revert back to the buyer side (lash take the first offer you get near your asking. Rates going up, inflation z market is gonna burst soon imo) 

2.   You fools think the sec or big ten cars. They are just gonna have their own championships and give the middle finger to the ncas. They don't need them at this point 

3. My posting is going to become much less frequent unless webby or whoever actually fixes the site to be able to post on mobile without having to switch the desktop mode 

• Like 2