BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

1 minute ago, Blue said:

arguing that a joint practice is more similar to a game situation

I'd agree with this 100%.  Teammate on teammate violence? Let the team handle it. A player uses a helmet to attack an opposing player, treat it like you would in a game.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Blue said:

I looked into the Pryor situation and, yes, they explicitly suspended him for stuff that happened while he was in college and had nothing to do with the NFL.

Maybe the CBA signed since then has language in it that restricts the Commissioner's power. But I maintain that whatever you found says, the league could easily find justification for punishing Donald if they wanted to or cared to, something as simple as arguing that a joint practice is more similar to a game situation and player safety overrides team autonomy or whatever. They're making a choice not to fight that battle, and while I don't honestly disagree with that choice, I also don't believe for a second that their hands are inescapably tied.

"Under the collective bargaining agreement signed in 2020, players cannot be disciplined by the league for actions in practice. 

That wasn’t always the case. Terrelle Pryor was suspended for selling memorabilia for free tattoos while at Ohio State in 2011, while Ezekiel Elliott was suspended for assault allegations that were brought up months before he reported to the Cowboys as a rookie in 2016. 

So while Donald may be disciplined by the team, the league no longer has any jurisdiction over practice fights that happen. 

This is also not the first we’ve heard of the NFL’s inability to offer punishment over the last 24 hours either. Recent Bills-draftee Matt Araiza is now being accused of gang-raping a minor when he was at San Diego State. 

Because of the recent CBA, Araiza cannot be disciplined by the league as the event reportedly happened when he was a member of San Diego State."

New CBA removed the league's ability to punish players for actions done before they entered the league as well as stuff in practice.  Its pretty cut and dry, so not worth the fight.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

"Under the collective bargaining agreement signed in 2020, players cannot be disciplined by the league for actions in practice. 

That wasn’t always the case. Terrelle Pryor was suspended for selling memorabilia for free tattoos while at Ohio State in 2011, while Ezekiel Elliott was suspended for assault allegations that were brought up months before he reported to the Cowboys as a rookie in 2016. 

So while Donald may be disciplined by the team, the league no longer has any jurisdiction over practice fights that happen. 

This is also not the first we’ve heard of the NFL’s inability to offer punishment over the last 24 hours either. Recent Bills-draftee Matt Araiza is now being accused of gang-raping a minor when he was at San Diego State. 

Because of the recent CBA, Araiza cannot be disciplined by the league as the event reportedly happened when he was a member of San Diego State."

New CBA removed the league's ability to punish players for actions done before they entered the league as well as stuff in practice.  Its pretty cut and dry, so not worth the fight.

Apparently their hands are also tied when an NFL player admits to assaulting another person and breaking their orbital bone, and they're facing charges for felonious assault.

The NFLPA: You guys don't care about player safety!

The NFL: We care about player safety

The NFLPA: We don't want you to care about player safety on the 90% of time we spend in pads, which is practice.

The NFL: Sounds good

Both: I'm glad we're making strides on player safety!

• Like 1