BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

12 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

He'd be taken off every down. Jewell and Browning aren't coming off either. Singleton is making tackles but the other team also like the cushions he gives and the extra couple yards on tackles. He might earn himself more time in the rotation though. One thing I know from IDP is that if you make a lot of points from tackles, sometimes that means you are a liability IRL.

Browning is an edge. The other LB is Jonas Griffin 

18 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

One thing I know from IDP is that if you make a lot of points from tackles, sometimes that means you are a liability IRL.

Yup. Good corners don't have many tackles because the guy they're covering has to catch the ball to be tackled.

• Like 1

Feel bad for Jackson. Not many people can keep up with world class all pro speedster KJ Hammer.

Blue once described him as "the human deep threat".

Edit: I was gonna edit it but I like auto corrects version better of KJ Hammer.

Edited by Jlash
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Yup. Good corners don't have many tackles because the guy they're covering has to catch the ball to be tackled.

I'll argue this is largely scheme dependent, for example, Cover 3 on long yardage situations. I'd also say that tackles SHORT of the sticks should be a plus.

Old school Cover 2 on bubbles/in run support also factor in, but yeah, I get what you're saying.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

They do drop Browning into coverage a fair bit.  He was a better in coverage last year as an off-ball backer and I guess they want to use that ability at times.

I wrote a relatively in depth synopsis of Browning in either here or the draft forum coming out, but as someone who watched essentially every college snap of his, I can say with confidence that he's a strong on ball linebacker with elite athleticism, which was never in doubt with his 5* rating as a recruit.

He excelled when asked in an EDGE spot (see: the strip sack vs. Mac Jones in 2020/2021), and you saw flashes of his sideline to sideline ability going laterally.

However, you also saw major flashes of him getting completely lost, missing pulling guards completely/running the wrong way, and being a complete liability in the play-action game, which actually cost him some major playing time/starting time until he was in his final year.

On paper, Werner/Browning was elite, but the issue is, Browning is an ideal WLB/SLB and Werner was/is an ideal WLB, so Browning was more or less boxed into the MIKE spot in their base Nickel package, which meant less on the edge, more isolated vs. TE/with run stop responsibilities, and he wasn't built to do that. He was exposed against Wisconsin, Iowa, and Penn State (who all had good to elite TE/play-action games), but excelled against teams like Clemson where his athleticism was put on display.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I wrote a relatively in depth synopsis of Browning in either here or the draft forum coming out, but as someone who watched essentially every college snap of his, I can say with confidence that he's a strong on ball linebacker with elite athleticism, which was never in doubt with his 5* rating as a recruit.

He excelled when asked in an EDGE spot (see: the strip sack vs. Mac Jones in 2020/2021), and you saw flashes of his sideline to sideline ability going laterally.

However, you also saw major flashes of him getting completely lost, missing pulling guards completely/running the wrong way, and being a complete liability in the play-action game, which actually cost him some major playing time/starting time until he was in his final year.

On paper, Werner/Browning was elite, but the issue is, Browning is an ideal WLB/SLB and Werner was/is an ideal WLB, so Browning was more or less boxed into the MIKE spot in their base Nickel package, which meant less on the edge, more isolated vs. TE/with run stop responsibilities, and he wasn't built to do that. He was exposed against Wisconsin, Iowa, and Penn State (who all had good to elite TE/play-action games), but excelled against teams like Clemson where his athleticism was put on display.

I didn't watch him as much in college, but I kept up with him last year obviously, and that makes sense.  If he knew which direction to go, he made a lot of plays.  The issue would be that on occasion, he would end up on the wrong side of the field.  SLB allows him to set the edge, pursue from the backside, drop into coverage, and get after the QB which fits his athletic ability perfectly.

I was not happy when they moved him this offseason, but it's working out nicely.

• Like 1