BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

6 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

@MWil23 this is why you lost your fantasy game

I've watched this video probably 30 times, and it's so hard to see, because I see some people saying the ref isn't giving a thumbs up, he's still pointing to McLaurin to move up further after the first time he looks at him. So hard to say. But brutal either way.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I've watched this video probably 30 times, and it's so hard to see, because I see some people saying the ref isn't giving a thumbs up, he's still pointing to McLaurin to move up further after the first time he looks at him. So hard to say. But brutal either way.

Yeah, to me that video isn't proof either way. Anyone trying to claim that the grainy look at the ref's hand there is conclusive I think is coming from a disingenuous spot.

• Like 2

BDL Mock Draft 6.0

Team Pick
Berlin Blitzkrieg Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
Seoul Dragons Jalen Carter, INT, Georgia
Gotham Gashslayers Will Anderson Jr., EDGE, Alabama
Raleigh Firebirds CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State
Anchorage Trappers (from Singapore) Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State
Hungary Hippos Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson
Greenland Polar Bears Bryan Bresee, INT, Clemson
Raleigh Firebirds (from Lancaster) Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU
Cuba Smugglers Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia
Flint Tropics Tyree Wilson, EDGE, Texas Tech
Gotham Gashslayers (from Death Valley) Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame
Ivory Coast Black Rhinos (from Camden) Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State
Berlin Blitzkrieg (from Ivory Coast) Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
Cancun Kaiju Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia
Rome Eternals Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern
Anchorage Trappers Jordan Addison, WR, USC

Team Pick
Berlin Blitzkrieg Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
Seoul Dragons Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
Gotham Gashslayers Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson
Raleigh Firebirds Tuli Tuipulotu, INT, USC
Gotham Gashslayers (from Singapore) Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State
Hungary Hippos Cam Smith, CB, South Carolina
Greenland Polar Bears Antonio Johnson, S, Texas A&M
Anchorage Trappers (from Lancaster) Nolan Smith, EDGE, Georgia
Cuba Smugglers Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
Gotham Gashslayers (from Flint) Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida
Lancaster Werewolves (from Death Valley) Brian Branch, S, Alabama
Anchorage Trappers (from Camden) O'Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida
Berlin Blitzkrieg (from Ivory Coast) BJ Ojulari, EDGE, LSU
Cancun Kaiju Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia
Rome Eternals Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
Anchorage Trappers Henry To'o To'o, LB, Alabama
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, rackcs said:

BDL Mock Draft 6.0

Team Pick
Berlin Blitzkrieg Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
Seoul Dragons Jalen Carter, INT, Georgia
Gotham Gashslayers Will Anderson Jr., EDGE, Alabama
Raleigh Firebirds CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State
Anchorage Trappers (from Singapore) Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State
Hungary Hippos Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson
Greenland Polar Bears Bryan Bresee, INT, Clemson
Raleigh Firebirds (from Lancaster) Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU
Cuba Smugglers Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia
Flint Tropics Tyree Wilson, EDGE, Texas Tech
Gotham Gashslayers (from Death Valley) Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame
Ivory Coast Black Rhinos (from Camden) Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State
Berlin Blitzkrieg (from Ivory Coast) Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
Cancun Kaiju Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia
Rome Eternals Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern
Anchorage Trappers Jordan Addison, WR, USC

Team Pick
Berlin Blitzkrieg Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
Seoul Dragons Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
Gotham Gashslayers Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson
Raleigh Firebirds Tuli Tuipulotu, INT, USC
Gotham Gashslayers (from Singapore) Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State
Hungary Hippos Cam Smith, CB, South Carolina
Greenland Polar Bears Antonio Johnson, S, Texas A&M
Anchorage Trappers (from Lancaster) Nolan Smith, EDGE, Georgia
Cuba Smugglers Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
Gotham Gashslayers (from Flint) Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida
Lancaster Werewolves (from Death Valley) Brian Branch, S, Alabama
Anchorage Trappers (from Camden) O'Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida
Berlin Blitzkrieg (from Ivory Coast) BJ Ojulari, EDGE, LSU
Cancun Kaiju Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia
Rome Eternals Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
Anchorage Trappers Henry To'o To'o, LB, Alabama

We're probably not trading up for Broderick Jones if both he and Skoronski are still on the board.

28 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Yeah, to me that video isn't proof either way. Anyone trying to claim that the grainy look at the ref's hand there is conclusive I think is coming from a disingenuous spot.

I’ve always maintained the spirit of the law on penalties should count. Referees are allowed leeway and discretion. He’s set and not going in motion IMO. This is part of the reasonable expectation for that position on both ends. Let it play out and see if they convert the 2 after the TD, and usually I argue on behalf of defenses. 

40 minutes ago, Jlash said:

This is why referees need to use the official hand signal for a WR being on the line:

Tim-Spangenburg-VIPIS.png

line-field-and-back-judge-1-320.jpg?cb=1

Pointing To The Referee

Although it may look like the wide receiver is pointing at the opposing (or same) sideline, they are pointing at the referee. The communication between the referee, which we typically can’t hear on a live broadcast, is the receiver telling the referee he is “on” or “off

The referee that the player is pointing at is known as the side judge, or often they will have “S” on their uniform. The side judge is responsible for ensuring enough players are on the line of scrimmage and looking for any pre-snap penalties.

This referee position is crucial because he essentially controls the line of scrimmage and makes sure there are no ineligible formations.

When he tells the referee that he’s “on,” he’s simply stating that he will be lining up on the line of scrimmage. This means one of his hands or feet will be lined up on the line of scrimmage, and he’s unable to make it in motion; he must be stationary.

On the flip side, if you see a wide receiver pointing at the referee and swinging your arm backward, it’s often signifying to the referee that he’s “off.” Being off the line of scrimmage usually means that you’re 1 yard off the line of scrimmage, and you can go in motion.

That is the official rule book explanation. The Side Judge was lazy and miscommunicated to the player. Horrible job IMO.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’ve always maintained the spirit of the law on penalties should count. Referees are allowed leeway and discretion. He’s set and not going in motion IMO. This is part of the reasonable expectation for that position on both ends. Let it play out and see if they convert the 2 after the TD, and usually I argue on behalf of defenses. 

I'm not saying it wasn't a ticky tacky call that I don't think needed to be called. I'm just addressing people using that video as proof that the ref told him he was good.

2 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I'm not saying it wasn't a ticky tacky call that I don't think needed to be called. I'm just addressing people using that video as proof that the ref told him he was good.

Per the above that I wrote, I have more of an issue with why referees need to use the actual hand signals as opposed to nonchalant ones, especially with a loud crowd and/or hurry up situations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jlash said:

I looked at it zoomed in and it seems Terry assumed the ref said he was good. AFTER looking away he moved forward another 2 inches and never looked back at the ref. He's misremembering. Ref threw the flag because it wasn't good enough. The real controversy is the hug on 4th down.

14 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

I looked at it zoomed in and it seems Terry assumed the ref said he was good. AFTER looking away he moved forward another 2 inches and never looked back at the ref. He's misremembering. Ref threw the flag because it wasn't good enough. The real controversy is the hug on 4th down.

I could have sworn they put in a pass interference review rule for the final two minutes after the saints/rams playoff debacle a few years back but I guess I'm wrong 

19 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

I could have sworn they put in a pass interference review rule for the final two minutes after the saints/rams playoff debacle a few years back but I guess I'm wrong 

They cancelled it after 1 season of it taking a long time and them never reversing anything they deemed a judgment call even if the judgment was wrong in 99% of people's opinions. Funny bc the CFL does it just fine. The ironic thing is that the year after it went away the Saints got hosed again on a big error.

Edited by LAOJoe
  • Like 1