BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

29 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

When Simmons is playing at his best, I wouldn't disagree.  His best being against the Bengals in the playoffs and Rams earlier this year.  His big issue is that he is still pretty inconsistent and can disappear for stretches.  5 of his 8.5 sacks came in a two week period.  And that's after a down year last year.  If he becomes more consistent, I think you would have a very good argument to include him.

I can honestly say that even if his stats might portray him as 'disappearing', ask any Titans fan and they'll confirm, Simmons shows up week in and week out. We beat Buffalo because Simmons single-handidly stuffed not only the guard but Josh Allen by himself. That tackle shows up as nothing more than just another tackle in a statbox. 

Personally, even with Byard returning to form, Simmons is our best defensive player, week in and week out.

• Like 3

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

I can honestly say that even if his stats might portray him as 'disappearing', ask any Titans fan and they'll confirm, Simmons shows up week in and week out. We beat Buffalo because Simmons single-handidly stuffed not only the guard but Josh Allen by himself. That tackle shows up as nothing more than just another tackle in a statbox. 

Personally, even with Byard returning to form, Simmons is our best defensive player, week in and week out.

I watch as much of the Titans as anyone here(not always by choice), and there are definitely periods where he was just okay.  There was a stretch early this season and a stretch in the final month or so of the season where he was a guy.  Not bad, but also not great.

That said, I wouldn't disagree with him being the Titans best defensive player, but it is a defense that more about the sum of the parts rather than standout players.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I watch as much of the Titans as anyone here(not always by choice), and there are definitely periods where he was just okay.  There was a stretch early this season and a stretch in the final month or so of the season where he was a guy.  Not bad, but also not great.

That said, I wouldn't disagree with him being the Titans best defensive player, but it is a defense that more about the sum of the parts rather than standout players.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with those statements. I do think when Simmons is 'on', he's as good a defensive player as any in the league on the interior, and matched by only Donald (who is HOF good b/c he's able to sustain that level).

8 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with those statements. I do think when Simmons is 'on', he's as good a defensive player as any in the league on the interior, and matched by only Donald (who is HOF good b/c he's able to sustain that level).

He had a good stretch to end his rookie year, had major regression along with the entire Titans D last year, and was overall very good with a couple games of exceptional play.  Before I'd think of having him in a top ten list, I would say his overall baseline level should bump up a bit, or those moments of brilliance should be more frequent.

Chris Jones, Vita Vea, Deforest Buckner, Cam Heyward, Kenny Clark, Jonathan Allen, Quinnen Williams were all arguably as good and more consistent week in and week out.

He is definitely Pro Bowl caliber and can be as good or better than any of the above guys when on, I just think he is on less than them.

It's all subjective though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Lmao cmon man. You call me out for mentioning Simmons then try to sneak in Quinnen Williams like no one watching.

1.  Quinnen was just as good and more consistent than Simmons.  Simmons best games were better than Quinnen's best games though.

2.  I didn't put Quinnen in my top ten list, did I?