BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

Just now, wwhickok said:

I get that. Also I'm not gonna lie I'm not a fan of Chris Olave. 

I think Olave has somehow become undervalued after having a "down" senior year because of how good JSN and Wilson are/were. There's a reason Jameson Williams couldn't get on the field at Ohio State. 

Just now, wwhickok said:

Also, I understand what you're saying on the 0 coverage. To get someone like Jackson, I had to make sure I had a good OL first. I think he makes my offense more versatile than Stafford did. There's no doubt as a pure passing QB, Stafford is better but Jackson brings another element to my offense.

I'm intrigued to see how you're going to use him

• Like 2

i think lamar's issues isn't so much where he throws as it is setting his feet, he has games where when he's right its solid throwingt, but then there's games where he just isn't setting up and the throws look like a tony gwynn hit chart.  The other issue is he doesn't process all that quickly which is the reason he's more successful out of the pocket where he's reacting more than pre snap diagnosis

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Fair counterpoint. He can’t throw from the pocket remains a narrative I disagree with.

Also, you’re still willing to tell us Kyler Murray isn’t a good QB because he doesn’t play well when injured. No more discussion  on QBs with you unless it’s draft related.

It's not a narrative, it's a basic fact from watching him play anytime in the last seven years.

He doesn't play well when he's healthy either. Not that it matters because he can't stay healthy. No more discussion on QBs with you until you start watching all those camera angles you like to brag about.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I think Olave has somehow become undervalued after having a "down" senior year because of how good JSN and Wilson are/were. There's a reason Jameson Williams couldn't get on the field at Ohio State. 

I'm intrigued to see how you're going to use him

I think Ohio St and the Joe Burrow fiasco disproves your point on Williams anyhow

2 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

i think lamar's issues isn't so much where he throws as it is setting his feet, he has games where when he's right its solid throwingt, but then there's games where he just isn't setting up and the throws look like a tony gwynn hit chart.  The other issue is he doesn't process all that quickly which is the reason he's more successful out of the pocket where he's reacting more than pre snap diagnosis

I think that's fair and it's definitely something I considered when thinking about acquiring him.

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

I think Ohio St and the Joe Burrow fiasco disproves your point on Williams anyhow

That's always been an "Urban Meyer" thing. The amount of OSU fans who could see that JT Barrett was literally the 4th best QB on the roster behind Cardale, Braxton, and Burrow was obvious, not to mention even Haskins that final year.

Plus, Joe Burrow was #1 on the depth chart at OSU before he broke his throwing hand and couldn't practice for months, allowing Haskins to beat him out. Plus, Haskins did still go Round 1, so it's not like that was as bad as the Barrett portion.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

That's always been an "Urban Meyer" thing. The amount of OSU fans who could see that JT Barrett was literally the 4th best QB on the roster behind Cardale, Braxton, and Burrow was obvious, not to mention even Haskins that final year.

Plus, Joe Burrow was #1 on the depth chart at OSU before he broke his throwing hand and couldn't practice for months, allowing Haskins to beat him out. Plus, Haskins did still go Round 1, so it's not like that was as bad as the Barrett portion.

that was more a defense of williams to be fair.  He could very well be better that all three of those Ohio St WR

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yes, a lot of similarities there in their game play, and the fact that KC and Andy Reid hasn't committed to the run in 25 years probably has something to do with that as well.

So we have do have excuses for people, and others get away scotch free. 

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

No, I'd say he's not a good QB because he sucks.

(Not really, he's just overrated)

Murray is a capable QB in the NFL, he's just a guy that everyone seems to have slobbered over for far too long. I mean, he was the "MVP favorite" at one point this year and the last couple years in several situations has been treated with kid gloves and given a pass for falling apart, as though it's all on his HC (it's not).

Fringe top 10 in my book. If you wanna tell me Matt Ryan level passers are his equal, go ahead. Or there are only 12 good passers in the leauge.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

It's not a narrative, it's a basic fact from watching him play anytime in the last seven years.

He doesn't play well when he's healthy either. Not that it matters because he can't stay healthy. No more discussion on QBs with you until you start watching all those camera angles you like to brag about.

LOL, nice. Bringing up something I only brought up outside the QB position. 

Just now, bcb1213 said:

that was more a defense of williams to be fair.  He could very well be better that all three of those Ohio St WR

He absolutely could be. The talent was always there. The consistency, attitude, and work ethic never was. He had some major dropsies issues because he's a body catcher and JSN passed him in the slot because of those reasons. 

1 minute ago, MD4L said:

So we have do have excuses for people, and others get away scotch free. 

I always hate this narrative, because the same people who blame Greg Roman for "holding Lamar back" are the same people that don't want to believe he's the reason Lamar was the MVP. He's best in a downhill gap scheme read option running attack, whether that's power read (it is) or designed rollouts.

Andy Reid has a 25+ year history of not utilizing running backs or staying committed to the run, and Mahomes is also a Super Bowl champ and runner up to go with his MVP hardware, as opposed to a guy who hasn't yet been extended past his rookie deal.

3 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Fringe top 10 in my book. If you wanna tell me Matt Ryan level passers are his equal, go ahead. Or there are only 12 good passers in the leauge.

I will agree that he's in the Top 1/2 of the NFL in terms of NFL QB's, making him fine, not great let alone elite. That's always been my thing with him.

I'd absolutely take him as a QB on my team if I was stuck with an average or worse guy, but he's not in that upper echelon. Maybe he will be someday, but he's got some warts.

• Like 1