BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

I mean, if you watched Matt Ryan last year and think he's a top 10 QB, I don't take your opinion on quarterbacks seriously in the slightest

From the studio that brought you: 

“If you think Jordan Mailata is good, you shouldn’t be allowed to vote on games.” 

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Russell Wilson
4. Joe Burrow
5-10 in no particular order: Matt Stafford, Dak Prescott, Justin Herbert, Derek Carr, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson

Put Deshaun Watson at 4 if you ignore the legal stuff. Right now, I think Lamar Jackson is closer to the 16th-best QB than the 4th-best QB. That said, I think the QBs in the early teens--Kyler Murray, Mac Jones, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill--are perfectly acceptable starters both here and in the NFL. Jared Goff, Jimmy Garoppolo, Baker Mayfield, Jalen Hurts seem like guys who have clear flaws and you want to upgrade on but can take you on a deep playoff run if everything (and I do mean everything) breaks right around them.

Damn near everybody else is a declining player, a seat warmer for a younger guy, or a draft bust that his team just can't quit.

Just now, Blue said:

5-10 in no particular order: Matt Stafford, Dak Prescott, Justin Herbert, Derek Carr, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson

I have Allen firmly in my Top 5 and I think he's better than RW at this point in his career. Russ is still Russ, but he's not as good as he used to be IMO.

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I always hate this narrative, because the same people who blame Greg Roman for "holding Lamar back" are the same people that don't want to believe he's the reason Lamar was the MVP. He's best in a downhill gap scheme read option running attack, whether that's power read (it is) or designed rollouts.

Andy Reid has a 25+ year history of not utilizing running backs or staying committed to the run, and Mahomes is also a Super Bowl champ and runner up to go with his MVP hardware, as opposed to a guy who hasn't yet been extended past his rookie deal.

I will agree that he's in the Top 1/2 of the NFL in terms of NFL QB's, making him fine, not great let alone elite. That's always been my thing with him.

I'd absolutely take him as a QB on my team if I was stuck with an average or worse guy, but he's not in that upper echelon. Maybe he will be someday, but he's got some warts.

I don’t buy the “it’s Roman fault” narrative at all. Before you start calling the stats Lamar has achieved flukey, you have to acknowledge he’s accomplished a lot already. Even his numbers against the Colts earlier this season suggest that he’s at the very least capable of building quality gameplans tailored to Jackson’s skill set. And his time from SF adds to his case with a similar QB.

I also agree with Kyler. I do think when nearing his peak this year, he was possible top 5. A few things happened near the end of the year.

1 - He got injured, and leg injuries to mobile QBs have significant impact.

2 - DeAndre Hopkins got injured: he hasn’t done what he did in Houston but changed how you game plan against Arizona. Particularly with an injured Murray too.

3 - Kingsbury: While I don’t blame Roman much for the coaching, I do think Kingsbury’s track record has shown us he is more of a liability then an asset as the head guy. Murray deserve blame for their fall but I think Kingsbury is the biggest culprit. It’s fair to say Arizona (and Kyler to a lesser extent) won’t reach their upside with him as HC.

Sidenote: I remain frustrated Rondale Moore didn’t have a bigger role and became an underneath gadget guy when he had his strongest games in the first two weeks of the season running vertical routes!

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Russell Wilson
4. Joe Burrow

Put Deshaun Watson at 4 if you ignore the legal stuff. Right now, I think Lamar Jackson is closer to the 16th-best QB than the 4th-best QB. That said, I think the QBs in the early teens--Kyler Murray, Mac Jones, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill--are perfectly acceptable starters both here and in the NFL. Jared Goff, Jimmy Garoppolo, Baker Mayfield, Jalen Hurts seem like guys who have clear flaws and you want to upgrade on but can take you on a deep playoff run if everything (and I do mean everything) breaks right around them.

Damn near everybody else is a declining player, a seat warmer for a younger guy, or a draft bust that his team just can't quit.

Way too much love for Russell Wilson, especially since he was awful playing injured this year. I don’t have him top 5, and that’s not including Watson.