Bored: Offense Moving Forward

G08

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

At the same time what coach has had success else where that came from the Belichick tree. 

I don’t know that it’s fair to judge present and future Patriots assistants based on the the guys who have failed before them. There are guys in the Belichick tree who got gigs based on where they came from rather than what they accomplished (Mangini is the big one there).

The pluses for me on McDaniels:

*Has failed before. To me, that can be a big plus. Failure, if harnessed correctly, can be an extremely positive thing. Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick are two notable guys who failed and had to do some heavy reflection in order to find success.

*Experience working with QBs.

*Experience as a playcaller.

*Has called a very prolific offense with low-round draft picks and UDFAs.

*As far as I can tell, he’s the only Belichick tree guy with five rings. Called the offense for two of the Championships (Charlie Weis called the other three).

None of that automatically means “must-hire,” but that’s more than enough ammo for interview consideration.

8 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

At the same time what coach has had success else where that came from the Belichick tree. 

Nick Saban and Kirk Ferentz the first 2 to come to mind.  Kirks son Brian spent about 5 years with the pats and is the oc at iowa.  Actually when you look back at that first bb staff in cleveland its pretty impressive list

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Nick Saban and Kirk Ferentz the first 2 to come to mind.  Kirks son Brian spent about 5 years with the pats and is the oc at iowa.  Actually when you look back at that first bb staff in cleveland its pretty impressive list

Alright we have two guys who have great college success in college with little to no success in the NFL. The Bears aren’t looking for an college course. 

8 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I don’t know that it’s fair to judge present and future Patriots assistants based on the the guys who have failed before them. There are guys in the Belichick tree who got gigs based on where they came from rather than what they accomplished (Mangini is the big one there).

The pluses for me on McDaniels:

*Has failed before. To me, that can be a big plus. Failure, if harnessed correctly, can be an extremely positive thing. Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick are two notable guys who failed and had to do some heavy reflection in order to find success.

*Experience working with QBs.

*Experience as a playcaller.

*Has called a very prolific offense with low-round draft picks and UDFAs.

*As far as I can tell, he’s the only Belichick tree guy with five rings. Called the offense for two of the Championships (Charlie Weis called the other three).

None of that automatically means “must-hire,” but that’s more than enough ammo for interview consideration.

The Bears can interview him but with candidates that look much better that’s all he should get. I personally don’t trust him because of how bad he failed and that coaching tree doesn’t produce any successful coaches, it just makes BB that much better of a coach. 

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

John Morton of the Jets is an interesting name.

Worked with Pace in New Orleans for a short time and what the Jets are doing on offense is really impressive considering the talent issues.

I've seen his name bandied about around here... not sure what the lure is.

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

I've seen his name bandied about around here... not sure what the lure is.

He is producing with literally no talent on offense in NY.

There was some great cut ups on Twitter about how through formations and motion he gets a ton of lay up passes for the QB.

I am going to do some more digging on him.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

There was some great cut ups on Twitter about how through formations and motion he gets a ton of lay up passes for the QB.

If you can, please send those tweets/links over this way

Runs a West Coast offense, loves to throw to Backs, TEs, really likes working screens, comes from Sean Payton's system so he likes to use all his backs in the running and passing game, and he isn't afraid to dial up deep passes.

Big fan of his, I think he's 1-2 years away from being a legit head coaching candidate. I'm hoping we can hang onto him a little longer.

Receiver/QB friendly system. Utilized his backs perfectly to keep the defense off balance. 

He’s gotten better as a coach during the year.

Jets Fans

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Aside from being a HC candidate it's not inconceivable to think that Morton could be an OC candidate for the Bears next season if the entire Jets coaching staff is let go and a guy like Pete Carmichael is hired as the next Bears HC.

I would actually be pretty happy if it worked out like that.

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Aside from being a HC candidate it's not inconceivable to think that Morton could be an OC candidate for the Bears next season if the entire Jets coaching staff is let go and a guy like Pete Carmichael is hired as the next Bears HC.

I would actually be pretty happy if it worked out like that.

I doubt they will be gone.

Archived