(Discussion) Designing The 2022 and Beyond Leadership & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

6 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Let him have his last dance at home, maybe we can get a win, let him take off his hat and wave to the fans one last time. Little bit of a respect thing.

That would be fine, if there wasn't a competitive advantage to be had from the extra week to interview candidates this week. What if the Vikings lose out on a top tier coaching candidate to replace Zimmer to a lesser job that had already begun their search?

Edited by Nozizaki
excessive quote

2 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

That would be fine, if there wasn't a competitive advantage to be had from the extra week to interview candidates this week. What if the Vikings lose out on a top tier coaching candidate to replace Zimmer to a lesser job that had already begun their search?

But where is top tier? most candidates know where the openings may lay in waiting. they will weigh out their options.

Right now its the Raiders, and the Jaguars with openings available. Raiders might not even be one if they end up making the playoffs this year.

If there were more teams with their coaches already fired, there may be a rush. But right now the only team doing that is really the Jaguars.

27 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

Almost every top candidate has already come out and said that they are waiting until after the season. 

1 hour ago, Nozizaki said:

With the new rules allowing teams to interview new coaches this next week keeping Zimmer an extra week seems like a mistake. Especially since he will likely play starters and try to win the Bears game with established veterans. Instead of focusing on developing younger guys.

If you were going to interview new coaches in the final 2 weeks, it would have been prudent to fire Zimmer over a week ago.  Now, it's pointless...and even more pointless if they are considering moving on from Spielman too.  Plus, from a personal standpoint, I'm not sure just adding 2 weeks to interview others really adds all that much.  The only way to improve the process is to either allow coaches to be hired during the playoffs and just allowing them to finish up their current position or not allow any team to hire anyone until the playoffs are over (even those with teams who have been eliminated from the playoffs).  

Edited by swede700

It sounds like most Vikings fans are ready to replace Spielman and Zimmer, so this is a little late, but it really popped off the page when I read it in the comment section in a video:

Chicago Bears record under Matt Nagy:  34-30
Minnesota Vikings record during the Zimmer/Cousins era:  32-31-1

Edited by Uncle Buck
Changed text to read "Zimmer/Cousins era"

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

It sounds like most Vikings fans are ready to replace Spielman and Zimmer, so this is a little late, but it really popped off the page when I read it in the comment section in a video:

Minnesota Vikings record during the Cousins era:  32-31-1

Look, I get QB is the most important position, but he doesn't decide not to go for the kill with a lead, or have a terrible D that can't stop Detroit on their last drive.....they lost at least three games this year that he put them in position to win, late in the game, only for fumbles or bad D to lose them. And that's just this year. 

I really hate individual win/loss records in such a team sport as this. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

But where is top tier? most candidates know where the openings may lay in waiting. they will weigh out their options.

Right now its the Raiders, and the Jaguars with openings available. Raiders might not even be one if they end up making the playoffs this year.

If there were more teams with their coaches already fired, there may be a rush. But right now the only team doing that is really the Jaguars.

I wouldn't be too worried about the Jaguars beating you guys to the punch on any potential head coach candidates.  The fans are going crazy to have GM Trent Baalke fired and have started to revolt by putting pictures of a clown with team owner Shad Khan's mustache on their avatars on different sites.  Baalke isn't very popular with many potential coaching candidates either, so that could cause problems in finding a coach. 

The rumors are that Khan is planning to fire Baalke at the end of the season.  If that's the case, we probably aren't going to be ready to interview and hire a coach until then anyway.  It's not the optimal way of doing things when we fired our head coach a couple weeks ago, but that's the Jags for you. 

8 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Minnesota Vikings record during the Cousins era:  32-31-1

I’m guessing the Vikes are a playoff team this year without such a conservative coach and if they actually let Cousins run the offense. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

I wouldn't be too worried about the Jaguars beating you guys to the punch on any potential head coach candidates.  The fans are going crazy to have GM Trent Baalke fired and have started to revolt by putting pictures of a clown with team owner Shad Khan's mustache on their avatars on different sites.  Baalke isn't very popular with many potential coaching candidates either, so that could cause problems in finding a coach. 

The rumors are that Khan is planning to fire Baalke at the end of the season.  If that's the case, we probably aren't going to be ready to interview and hire a coach until then anyway.  It's not the optimal way of doing things when we fired our head coach a couple weeks ago, but that's the Jags for you. 

Sounds like you have another Red McCombs to deal with. 

5 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Look, I get QB is the most important position, but he doesn't decide not to go for the kill with a lead, or have a terrible D that can't stop Detroit on their last drive.....they lost at least three games this year that he put them in position to win, late in the game, only for fumbles or bad D to lose them. And that's just this year. 

I really hate individual win/loss records in such a team sport as this. 

Oh I agree with you on that PCP.  I probably should have labeled it as the Vikings record during the Zimmer/Cousins era.  There is a decent amount of talent on this team, and I just think that, for whatever reason, they have been underacheiving during the last few years, and that was a way to clearly point that out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Sounds like you have another Red McCombs to deal with. 

A little bit.  He's not as cheap as Red was.  He's willing to spend money, but he's not a football guy at all, and he just needs to get someone in there who knows the sport and knows how to create a winning culture.  A guy like Bill Parcells from 10 years ago would be perfect to put in an Executive Vice President role where both the GM and the head coach answer to him.  Right now, they are answering to Khan, and that's just not working.