Raiders rookie CB Nate Hobbs arrested for DUI

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Heart of Oak said:

While this may be true, by the time I was 22 I did not need "leadership" from anyone to stop me doing bone-headed things. Hobbs at 22 is not a boy, he is a man and is responsible for his own 'ish'.

If at that age you need led then it just reveals a weakness of mind, a lack of maturity and a lack of personal accountability. Can leadership mitigate these things, yes, to an extent, but I would argue it is not up to the HC, Coaching staff or QB to stop Hobbs from making bad decisions. There is only one person who is responsible for this action...and that is Nate Hobbs.

He's obviously a grown man that made the decision on his own. But the pattern of our players consistently doing stupid stuff off the field is alarming. Last year Trent Brown was publicly dissing the staff/team, Agholor said the team had zero accountability, Jacobs almost killed himself in a DUI accident, Henry Ruggs killed someone in a DUI accident, Damon Arnette was threatening to kill a fan on social media, Divine Deablo publicly criticized the team for their bad practice habits, and Nate Hobbs was just arrested for a DUI. 

What other team has had even half of the drama or off the field issues that we've had? 

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's obviously a grown man that made the decision on his own. But the pattern of our players consistently doing stupid stuff off the field is alarming. Last year Trent Brown was publicly dissing the staff/team, Agholor said the team had zero accountability, Jacobs almost killed himself in a DUI accident, Henry Ruggs killed someone in a DUI accident, Damon Arnette was threatening to kill a fan on social media, Divine Deablo publicly criticized the team for their bad practice habits, and Nate Hobbs was just arrested for a DUI. 

What other team has had even half of the drama or off the field issues that we've had? 

Maybe we just don't cover it up as well...but I agree there have been a number of incidents that are alarming.

As I recall, the Jacobs incident was later deemed due to tiredness not alcohol. I still think the issue is more making sure when we draft, we do not draft knuckleheads just because they are quick, big, strong or generally talented. 

22 minutes ago, Heart of Oak said:

Maybe we just don't cover it up as well...but I agree there have been a number of incidents that are alarming.

As I recall, the Jacobs incident was later deemed due to tiredness not alcohol. I still think the issue is more making sure when we draft, we do not draft knuckleheads just because they are quick, big, strong or generally talented. 

And essentially every player that has made a stupid decision or has publicly criticized the team are guys that Mayock brought in.

We definitely need to do a better job with character assessment on the guys we're bringing in but we also need more leadership in the locker room. The sad part is that we've had so many issues but we still lack talent, lol.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And essentially every player that has made a stupid decision or has publicly criticized the team are guys that Mayock brought in.

If you blame Mayock for personal decisions some players made, then you literally give all the guys who are responsible persons a free ticket to do some dumb sh*t.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

If you blame Mayock for personal decisions some players made, then you literally give all the guys who are responsible persons a free ticket to do some dumb sh*t.

I don't blame Mayock for Hobbs personal decision to drink and drive. I do blame Mayock for acquiring countless low character players and failing to create a culture where guys are accountable and committed to winning.

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

Just now, Styrian Raider said:

I might have more sympathy if they were 16, 17 or 18 years old but these guys are in their early 20s and have been to college. Mayock may be responsible to the end that he is potentially picking guys who are as dumb as a box of rocks but the bottom line is these players are responsible for their own actions, and you are right, to call it lack of leadership etc. is to make excuses for these grown *** men who should be capable of controlling themselves.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heart of Oak said:

I might have more sympathy if they were 16, 17 or 18 years old but these guys are in their early 20s and have been to college. Mayock may be responsible to the end that he is potentially picking guys who are as dumb as a box of rocks but the bottom line is these players are responsible for their own actions, and you are right, to call it lack of leadership etc. is to make excuses for these grown *** men who should be capable of controlling themselves.

We've literally seen multiple players come to our organization, act out then go elsewhere and become model citizens. Leadership starts at the top of the organization and every good team has an identity, a swagger. Mayock admitted that Arnette was his guy and that he overlooked character concerns because he fit the traditional bad boy Raiders mold...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We've literally seen multiple players come to our organization, act out then go elsewhere and become model citizens. Leadership starts at the top of the organization and every good team has an identity, a swagger. Mayock admitted that Arnette was his guy and that he overlooked character concerns because he fit the traditional bad boy Raiders mold...

Couldn't tackle or cover? 

Has Mayock only watched the Raiders the last 15 or so years? Lol

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Couldn't tackle or cover? 

Has Mayock only watched the Raiders the last 15 or so years? Lol

“Yeah, there was significant concern. And most of the teams around the league were very aware of it,” Mayock replied. “We spent an awful lot of time trying to understand his behavior. And really what kind of tilted everything in the direction of ‘ok, let’s go ahead and draft him’ was that we knew that coaching staff pretty well, we knew what they had asked him to do his last year at Ohio State, they felt very strongly that they knew who we had on our staff and that we’d be able to work with this young man. And not only help him on the football field, but help him in his life. Obviously in hindsight we weren’t able to do it. I know a lot of people, including myself, we were all concerned about this. But we at the time thought it was an acceptable risk. But obviously it’s painful on all levels.”

“We found the risk acceptable after doing more homework on Arnette than anybody we’ve done in the years I’ve been here,” Mayock added. “And obviously we missed. And that is 100% on me.”

On 1/4/2022 at 1:20 AM, Heart of Oak said:

When you are a professional athlete, a person who is paid to be at your physical best to play what is at the end of the day "just a game" then I do think you should abstain during the season - there are about 30 weeks a year that are out of season so plenty of time to enjoy a tipple and have a life.

I am not willing to throw him under the bus yet, maybe he got back to his car and decided this was a bad idea and was going to sleep it off - but get an uber and pick the car up the next day.

If he had already ordered an uber and was waiting in the car for it to show up and could show the officer it's in route I would bet most cops would let it go once he gets in the uber.