Are the Titans really the best team in the AFC?

notthatbluestuff

If you take a look at the Sagarin Ratings, one of the things they list is W/L record vs Top 10 teams and vs Top 16
Really offers some insight

http://sagarin.com/sports/nflsend.htm

The Titans overall ranking is currently number 9 in the NFL and number 5 in the AFC. Good, but not great.
HOWEVER; look at their record vs top competition and it paints a very different picture. Compare the W/L record vs Top 10 teams to the Colts who are actually ranked higher than the Titans overall, but have been dismal against Top teams. 

Vrabel has done a remarkable job in 2021 and the Titans are not a pretender to the AFC crown. They're going to be a tough out in the playoffs, rested and at home

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 8:33 PM, lancerman said:

Every team in the AFC is seriously flawed. The Chiefs looked horrible early then kinda got lucky facing weaker opponents or teams like the Packers without Rodgers to climb back in it, the Titans are definitly not an unstoppable powerhouse like Henry, the Bills are not as dominant as last year and teams have taken wins off them you wouldn't think would be possible, the Bengals are the Bengals and have been spotty despite not having a really difficult schedule out there, the Patriots are imo way too conservative and risk averse with a rookie QB to win in the playoffs unless they completely flip the switch, even then they lack the skill talent, likewise the Chargers and Colts are a hard team to get a read on and sometimes look like world beaters and sometimes look like they are just loss waiting to happen. 

Honestly, the AFC is wide open this year. I could see any team having the right games and making it out of the conference or having a bad game against the right opponent and getting knocked out. 

Obviously I'm biased but they somewhat are.

In 2020, the Bills were 4-1 in 1 score games. In 2021, the Bills are 0-5 in 1 score games. If you look at the data long term 1 score games always have a mean and usually balance each other out. If you have a good 1 score record the prior year, odds are you will regress a bit. If you have a lot of 1 score loses, odds are you are getting a few unlucky bounces. Which is why Vegas typically looks at this stat when determining wins/loses for the future year. 

• Offensive YPG : 2nd in 2020 - 5th in 2021
  • Offensive PPG : 1st in 2020 - 3rd in 2021
  • Defensive YPG : 14th in 2020 - 1st in 2021
  • Defensive PPG : 16th in 2020 - 2nd in 2021
  • Point Differential : 5th in 2020 - 1st in 2021 

Their offense took a very slight drop but is still in the top 5 in the NFL. But the Bills defense has been unbelievable and playing a lot better than the 2020 squad, the passing defense stats are actually insane if you look at them. 

Either way I agree, the AFC seems WIDE open this year but i still have the Chiefs as the team to beat. However I think people aren't as on the Bills this year because their record doesn't look as good but they have the ingredients to be a very dangerous playoff team. 

Edited by The BILLievers
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...