Are the Titans really the best team in the AFC?

notthatbluestuff

23 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Healthy Chiefs are a horrible matchup for the Titans.

This has already been proven wrong. If you can get to the QB with 4 and drop 7 in coverage, Mahommes struggles. This is what the Titans do. This is what the Titans did to him earlier in the year.

I'm not saying the Titans can't be beaten by the Chiefs, that would be asinine. It's still a tough, but the strength's of the Titans delve directly into the weaknesses of the Chiefs and Mahommes.

Edited by Mesa_Titan

11 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

This has already been proven wrong. If you can get to the QB with 4 and drop 7 in coverage, Mahommes struggles. This is what the Titans do. This is what the Titans did to him earlier in the year.

I'm not saying the Titans can't be beaten by the Chiefs, that would be asinine. It's still a tough, but the strength's of the Titans delve directly into the weaknesses of the Chiefs and Mahommes.

How so? Chiefs were not healthy when they played the Titans earlier this year.

I don't know who is the best AFC team, but in a year where all the contenders are flawed and inconsistent, the Titans have been more consistent, especially vs Playoff teams (beat KC, Buff, Indy, SF, LAR). Their inconsistency showed up against subpar teams Houston and NYJ, but overall they have been consistent vs the good teams.

The Cheifs are still the favourite, but I don't think the gap between them and everyone else is as big as it used to be. I know in 19 the Cheifs lost vs Hou/Ten but beat them in the playoffs but this year I feel KC losses feel different.

Among the best, absolutely! There is no "best team" in the AFC. Parity has already proven that thus far.

While I also think this applies to the NFC, there is a monumental different when going to Lambaugh in January or Nissan Stadium! However that doesn't mean the so called "NFC" best team can't be beaten too.

There is way to much parity in the NFL for any organization or fan base to assume they are SB bound. Any given Sunday applies to every single team in the playoffs!!!!!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Oh yeah, CEH would have accounted for 24+ points. Forgot, my bad. 

Titans were only missing their star LT and their best corner. It was even.

Chris Jones was still coming back from injury and still playing DE, Chiefs were missing their best corner, and starting middle linebacker. 

Plus an entire season has gone by, and Mahomes plus the offense have adapted to whats been thrown at them since early season. I think its gonna be a good game, but be cocky. Well see what happens.

Every team in the AFC is seriously flawed. The Chiefs looked horrible early then kinda got lucky facing weaker opponents or teams like the Packers without Rodgers to climb back in it, the Titans are definitly not an unstoppable powerhouse like Henry, the Bills are not as dominant as last year and teams have taken wins off them you wouldn't think would be possible, the Bengals are the Bengals and have been spotty despite not having a really difficult schedule out there, the Patriots are imo way too conservative and risk averse with a rookie QB to win in the playoffs unless they completely flip the switch, even then they lack the skill talent, likewise the Chargers and Colts are a hard team to get a read on and sometimes look like world beaters and sometimes look like they are just loss waiting to happen. 

Honestly, the AFC is wide open this year. I could see any team having the right games and making it out of the conference or having a bad game against the right opponent and getting knocked out. 

Throughout the course of the season, there have been times where we were the best team in the AFC. There were also times where the injuries had us as an objectively mediocre team.

Right now? Maybe. Maybe we’re the best team. AJ Brown healthy, Derrick Henry returning, all five starters on the line good to go, defense playing well. Realistically, there’s a good chance that the first playoff game will be the healthiest we’ve been since early August.

Tennessee has a negative YPPA Differential of -0.5. That would be the worst in memory of any Super Bowl team. Every time the top seed has a negative number they flop in the playoffs, for basic reasons. The passing offense isn't special enough to overcome moderate pass defense.

The 2008 Giants had a YPPA Differential of 0.0. Both sides almost identical. I believe that is the worst number for a recent Super Bowl winner, although admittedly I don't keep up on every number as closely as I did while living in Las Vegas. There might be an occasional outlier example I'm unaware or or forget.

The league is very weak these days. The top YPPA Differential teams used to be +2.8 or better. Now it's rare to have anybody +2.0 or higher. Lots of teams bunched between +1.1 and +1.9 right now. 

1 hour ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Tennessee has a negative YPPA Differential of -0.5. That would be the worst in memory of any Super Bowl team. Every time the top seed has a negative number they flop in the playoffs, for basic reasons. The passing offense isn't special enough to overcome moderate pass defense.

The 2008 Giants had a YPPA Differential of 0.0. Both sides almost identical. I believe that is the worst number for a recent Super Bowl winner, although admittedly I don't keep up on every number as closely as I did while living in Las Vegas. There might be an occasional outlier example I'm unaware or or forget.

The league is very weak these days. The top YPPA Differential teams used to be +2.8 or better. Now it's rare to have anybody +2.0 or higher. Lots of teams bunched between +1.1 and +1.9 right now. 

Going into the playoffs, the team could look better than at any point in the season, and they already had an SB run in the middle of their season (Colts, Bills, Chiefs, and Rams). That run might be is impressive as any run any team has had this year.

The offensive woes were more attributable to the offensive line issues and WR health than Henry, and those deficiencies are looking less problematic.