Pass me that wrench: Fixing the D in 2022

vike daddy

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

holy moley, i didn't realize we're only paying 22% of his salary this year. bargain!

Yep, we don't get the full hit until next year, when his cap number will be $14M.  It'll be interesting to see what they do with him in the offseason.  I can't imagine they'll want to keep that number, but we'll have to see.  

25 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Yep, we don't get the full hit until next year, when his cap number will be $14M.  It'll be interesting to see what they do with him in the offseason.  I can't imagine they'll want to keep that number, but we'll have to see.  

I'm sure they won't want to keep that number...but if he keeps playing this way, it will be a bargain.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s not surprising. Hunter may not be getting the sack numbers but he’s playing very well. He’s playing a well rounded game and doing a lot of the dirty work that is giving guys like Smith very favorable matchups. 

Wonder if they consider moving on from Hunter next year. Seems like Smith is the better fit for the defense where maybe Hunter might be a more appealing option to trade to a 4-3 team where he was a top tier pass rusher. 

35 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Wonder if they consider moving on from Hunter next year. Seems like Smith is the better fit for the defense where maybe Hunter might be a more appealing option to trade to a 4-3 team where he was a top tier pass rusher. 

Why would they move on from a top 15 performer at his position? Smith isn’t nearly this effective without Hunter. Hunter and Smith are bargains as the 19th and 20th highest paid edge rushers by AAV.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Hunter has really started to come into his own in this defense. He's still very young. No way should they move on from him if he continues to stay healthy. They might be the best set of EDGE in the league. No sense in creating a hole. There's likely nothing we'll get in return that would fill the void left. Hunter just turned 28. He is in his prime. 

He looked lost early in the year, and I thought he might not have it anymore, or that he was a bad fit. But it seems like he just needed time to get his feet under him again. 

That said, if he can't stay healthy all year, that might be reason to think about moving on from him.