Rumor: Colbert stepping down after draft

warfelg

I will have to look for it, but I seem to remember him complaining after the Houston interview that the Owner was not serious.  They already had their man and were just trying to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

IF the NFL puts the draft enhancements in place, then the Steelers could improve their draft slot in the 3rd round by 10 spots by hiring Khan.  That is an incentive for any team.  Last I heard ( in 2020) they had not implemented it.  I want the best person for the job and the best person runs the scouting department and sorts through scouting reports.  Basically judges the meat.  I would love to see if Khan is a part of that process now. 

Edit: They have approved of the incentive rules as of 11/2020

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, jebrick said:

IF the NFL puts the draft enhancements in place, then the Steelers could improve their draft slot in the 3rd round by 10 spots by hiring Khan.  That is an incentive for any team.  Last I heard ( in 2020) they had not implemented it. 

I dunno if that applies to hiring your own guys.

18 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Coach Tomlin always mentions a running train when players join a team mid-season. Installing a new GM now would be setting him up for failure.

If the new GM is an internal hire though they are on the train.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If the new GM is an internal hire though they are on the train.

Yeah my money is on Brandon Hunt. Colbert is here through the draft to ease the transition. Wouldn’t be surprised if they did the advisory role like Ozzie did as notes earlier.  

i think it’s a clear sign they are staying in house. I think Colbert was up front about this for a few years now.  I think they have a plan.

• Like 2

Just now, Blitzburgh said:

Yeah my money is on Brandon Hunt. Colbert is here through the draft to ease the transition. Wouldn’t be surprised if they did the advisory role like Ozzie did as notes earlier.  

i think it’s a clear sign they are staying in house. I think Colbert was up front about this for a few years now.  I think they have a plan.

Which I don't mind at all. I'm actually on board with that, but I hope they do all the interviewing now and name the successor before the offseason starts rather than wait.

19 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I dunno if that applies to hiring your own guys.

The resolution did not say that had to be outside hires.  Just hiring a minority coach and or GM.  Do them both in the same year and improve your draft stock by 16 in the 3rd round.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Yes, but prepare for bananas Steelers fans thinking we are the exception. 

Large amounts of the scouting and planning are already complete. Teams don’t wait for the completion of the NFL season to start scouting, so this is as normal a process for a GM in good standing as there could be. 

Continuity of the plan and scouting will remain, rather than shoving a wrench in 50-75% of the way in. 

Throwing a wrench into a machine that already isnt working properly isnt going to do much damage.

Anyway....just because a lot of Colbert's scouting is done doesnt mean he should be the one making the decisions.      He can either pass down his scouting info, or at least let Tomlin take lead.   Not that I trust Tomlin either, and I fully expect him to be gone in a couple years too, perhaps along with whatever GM we likely promote from within.    

And if that is the case, as it likely will be....let whoever is promoted from within make the calls about the direction to take the team.  

Colbert might still be around until the draft, but he should have a much more limited input than he usually does.

But as I said....I think there is a pretty solid chance that by 2025, this team has a completely new staff, with completely new team building philosophies, so I guess it doesnt really matter.

19 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Why do we need to replace our DC? 

I dont get why everyone hates on Keith Butler so much.

He is no **** LeBeau, but he has usually fielded pretty solid defenses, despite having offenses for the last several years that havent done their parts and losing key pieces several times.

At worst, he is the DC equivalent of Tomlin....an okay but flawed coach that you could upgrade, but you could also easily downgrade from.

Butler's seat should be no hotter than Tomlin's right now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

He is no **** LeBeau, but he has usually fielded pretty solid defenses, despite having offenses for the last several years that havent done their parts and losing key pieces several times.

At worst, he is the DC equivalent of Tomlin....an okay but flawed coach that you could upgrade, but you could also easily downgrade from.

It's not hating Butler from my standpoint, but rather I think Tomin was a better HC when he had less input on the defense, so I would like a DC that Tomlin doesn't feel the need to look over the shoulder of.  When you look at HC's that aren't playcallers, they do best when they have OC/DC's they don't have to do that with.

• Like 2

Just now, 43M said:

He’s been atop the most prolific defenses at getting to the QB in NFL history. Not to mention his work specifically with the OLBs has been impressive. I get the same thought when people try to attack the coaching staff for Tomlin running the D. It’s clearly working, we’ve got a great defense. Whatever formula we’re running on defense is working. The cogs have been changing, but the constants are Tomlin and Butler. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

It's not hating Butler from my standpoint, but rather I think Tomin was a better HC when he had less input on the defense, so I would like a DC that Tomlin doesn't feel the need to look over the shoulder of.  When you look at HC's that aren't playcallers, they do best when they have OC/DC's they don't have to do that with.

That’s a fair point.

17 minutes ago, 43M said:

Throwing a wrench into a machine that already isnt working properly isnt going to do much damage.

Anyway....just because a lot of Colbert's scouting is done doesnt mean he should be the one making the decisions.      He can either pass down his scouting info, or at least let Tomlin take lead.   Not that I trust Tomlin either, and I fully expect him to be gone in a couple years too, perhaps along with whatever GM we likely promote from within.    

And if that is the case, as it likely will be....let whoever is promoted from within make the calls about the direction to take the team.  

Colbert might still be around until the draft, but he should have a much more limited input than he usually does.

But as I said....I think there is a pretty solid chance that by 2025, this team has a completely new staff, with completely new team building philosophies, so I guess it doesnt really matter.

Colbert has said that he just servers up the scouting to the coaches and they make the call.

As i understand it, coaches meet with scouts/GM and say" we want this type of player for position X".  Scouts then try to find that type of player for the coaches and then show them all of their choices.  An easy example for the Steelers used to be DE.  They like them to be 6'5+ and 300lb with long arms and a really good motor.

They really do need to add more regional scouts.  At the moment, they seem like they do not like to travel much.

• Like 1