A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Not in the slightest. In fact Doug Pederson would be the underwhelming one.

I agree.  I've actually waned on him, because I don't really like his personality...I think he has a lot of Jon Gruden to him and that his personality can begin to grate on people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I agree.  I've actually waned on him, because I don't really like his personality...I think he has a lot of Jon Gruden to him and that his personality can begin to grate on people.

One thing that has stood out to me, and maybe I’m not looking in the right places, but over the last 2 months or so where his name has been brought up as a head coach candidate for multiple teams, I have not seen any former players endorse him. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

One thing that has stood out to me, and maybe I’m not looking in the right places, but over the last 2 months or so where his name has been brought up as a head coach candidate for multiple teams, I have not seen any former players endorse him. 

Would we care about former players endorsing him if he won a second Super Bowl?

6 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Would we care about former players endorsing him if he won a second Super Bowl?

No more reason to believe he’d win a second super bowl than anyone else winning their first.

In fact, winning a super bowl with a second team, I don’t believe, has ever been done. 

Edited by SemperFeist

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

No more reason to believe he’d win a second super bowl than anyone else winning their first.

In fact, winning a super bowl with a second team, I don’t believe, has ever been done. 

Sure, but if ownership believes he's the guy with the best chance to take them there, then I don't care what former players haven't said about him.

I don't recall any players saying anything about Pederson like players have said about Zimmer or Urban Meyer. 

Personally, I'm not going to act like I know who is best for the job, because I know little about most of the guys they're interviewing and am not privy to the interviews. My only hope is that they select a coach who doesn't play 1960's football like Zimmer wanted to. I'm hoping for a guy who realizes the talent on this team is on the offensive side of the ball and opens up the offense - while also realizing the talent on this team is on the offensive side of the ball and dedicates resources to repairing the defense. 

• Like 1

Appearing on the Move the Sticks podcast, Spielman detailed “mistakes” he’s made when assessing quarterbacks during his time as Vikings general manager, calling them “failures” on his part:

"When you talk about the quarterbacks, and I’ve made some mistakes through my career on quarterbacks, I always thought the No. 1 thing to look for was the intelligence part of the game.

How smart are these guys? And we do a lot of different types of psychological testing, a lot of different types of intelligence testing, but what I learned is not only do you have to be smart, but you have to have mental quickness and how quickly can you process things.

I can go and interview a quarterback, and I interviewed many down at the combine, and we had a whole program set in place. Let’s go out, let’s visit this quarterback, the offensive coordinator’s gonna have a plan, he’s gonna install a scheme, he’s gonna install concepts of a passing game and pass protections. And the quarterback can sit there — we kind of watch and see if they took copious notes — and a lot of these guys went up there and talked verbatim what the coordinator said and even sometimes sounded better than the coordinator that’s explaining it. I was like ‘this guy’s going to be a hell of a coach someday.’

The point that I missed was that, that’s great, you can go up and draw that, and this safety’s rolling down, and this linebacker’s coming off the edge, where’s your hot reads and stuff. They can talk about it, but that’s a ten-minute process. Can they do that in 2.5 seconds? So we really tried to hone in and focus on, not only the intelligence, but also the mental quickness and how quickly they can read and respond. Because there’s a lot of smart people out there, but if you can’t process that in the 2.5 seconds that you have, that’s where I saw it and myself personally, had some failures."

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/rick-spielman-kirk-cousins-nfl-news/?fbclid=IwAR0MEFpxBL73c8l00snn2-6rZOmY7BTUb4x5BgO0VXwXdNAPdhBzkqQjCYU

54 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I've accepted the fact that out next HC will be a defensive one. The offensive ones seem underwhelming this year to me, and we are interviewing 4 more in the next 2 days. Oh well. 

I'm getting that way too. 

I don't know if the offensive ones are necessarily underwhelming but I definitely get more excited about Morris or Ryans than I do some of the offensive coordinator options. 

But I'm really hoping for Mike McDaniels.