Raiders Offense

MrOaktown_56

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Here's the question:

Would Jacobs block you from exploring Ronald Jones or Marlon Mack?

Marlon Mack and RoJo were both phased out of their offenses and as @MrOaktown_56 said averaged less then 4 ypc when they did get to play. Assuming Kenyan Drake is back and healthy next year, don't see why we'd need another FA back.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The way I see our O going forward:

• QB - Solid veteran. Likely enticing to a HC looking to win now, but can easily trade him if that's his preference.
  • RB - Another solid veteran in. Jacobs. Not a top 10 RB but a capable of topping 1,000 yards every season. Lacks consistent gamebreaking ability but by no means is a need. Drake is a nice COP back if he comes back 100%. Richard is a great 3rd down/blocking back. Might want to bring in another young RB to compete.
  • FB - If healthy and retained Ingold is a top 5 FB. Not a need.
  • WR - Renfrow is a star slot guy who is better as a WR2 than THE guy imo. Zay played well to finish off the regular season and should be brought back as a depth WR. We are lacking a true speed #1 WR (F U Ruggs) and more depth. I'd love to bring in a big time vet and draft another super speed option.
  • TE - Top 3 TE if healthy and is happy with his current pay. Moreau was inconsistent but has ability too. Not a need unless you want to upgrade TE3.
  • LT - Good young LT locked up long-term. Not an issue.
  • LG - Simpson is meh. Incognito is done too imo. Bring in a vet and/or draft. early.
  • C - James' play sure improved as the year went on. May actually have something here.
  • RG - Likely a massive need, but may want to see if Leatherwood can progress. Bring in a vet and/or draft. early.
  • RT - Massive need. Bring in a vet and/or draft. early.

The fact we made the playoffs I have a hard time seeing us completely blow up the foundation on O. However we need 3-4 guys brought in on the trenches alone and a couple WR's. That is if we keep Carr too.

good breakdown. need WR1, LG, RT. I think we try to develop Leatherwood, but could bring in competition. I would like to keep vets around as depth, because happen (Mariota, Drake, Zay, Parker, Martin, Good)

9 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

Would you pay him though ? What kind of contract could he ask for comp wise genuinely curious 

Pick up his 5th year option and then go from there, ultimately I probably wouldn't pay him but I would use him as a workhorse back over the next two seasons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Pick up his 5th year option and then go from there, ultimately I probably wouldn't pay him but I would use him as a workhorse back over the next two seasons.

Agree totally, the number of RBs I'd give a 2nd contract too is absolutely fractional

1 hour ago, dante9876 said:

We should be doing the rb position same way pats do it, unless you land an absolute star. Pats went from Sony to Harris now its going to be Stevenson soon. Use them up and ship them off. 

I don't think that we should trade Jacobs, he's a leader in the locker room and someone all of the guys love. I mean he just put the team on his back the last few weeks while Carr played pretty meh to help us seal a playoff berth. But I would let him walk in free agency in 2024.

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think that we should trade Jacobs, he's a leader in the locker room and someone all of the guys love. I mean he just put the team on his back the last few weeks while Carr played pretty meh to help us seal a playoff berth. But I would let him walk in free agency in 2024.

Yeah I guess. But still basing decisions by emotion instead of logic. Ill let him walk if by measuring it I  think I can get more from a compensatory pick than I can a trade, and I think I got a good shot to win playoff games with him in his last year. We shouldn't  trade him now. But next year trade deadline depending on where we at as a team and what teams are offering I'll be ok with it. 

1 minute ago, dante9876 said:

Yeah I guess. But still basing decisions by emotion instead of logic. Ill let him walk if by measuring it I  think I can get more from a compensatory pick than I can a trade, and I think I got a good shot to win playoff games with him in his last year. We shouldn't  trade him now. But next year trade deadline depending on where we at as a team and what teams are offering I'll be ok with it. 

Trading away a team captain that just played through injury and went off to help us make the playoffs, I'm sure the locker room would be thrilled.

But no matter what we should be drafting a guy this year in 3rd or later that got some real potential to be a starting rb. So we have real options. We got to stop going into the draft  with super obvious needs. We got to get to the point we taking best player avaible( reasonably). That takes pre planning though.  

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Trading away a team captain that just played through injury and went off to help us make the playoffs, I'm sure the locker room would be thrilled.

People worry to much about locker room feelings. If you winning the players won't care as much as you think. I'm not saying trade him now. But if you don't plan on paying him. Letting him just walk in free agency cause you don't want to hurt people's feelings is dumb. 

11 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

People worry to much about locker room feelings. If you winning the players won't care as much as you think. I'm not saying trade him now. But if you don't plan on paying him. Letting him just walk in free agency cause you don't want to hurt people's feelings is dumb. 

Trading away the two other first round picks that helped us make the playoffs in Mack/Cooper worked out well.

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That's where I am at. You don't move him unless you have a better back in place (we don't). So let him ride out the contract and move on.

But why? Why let him walk if you don't plan on paying him if a team is willing to give you value that more than a compensatory. 

10 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

But why? Why let him walk if you don't plan on paying him if a team is willing to give you value that more than a compensatory. 

The same reason that the Rams rode Gurley until the wheels fell off and then let him go. When you have talented, productive players you keep them around until they are not able to produce anymore. Josh carried us down the stretch of the season, is a captain, and is one of the leaders in the locker room. We've hit on a few draft picks in the last like two decades, we traded Cooper and Mack, how'd that work out for us? 

Based on your thought process the Bengals should've traded away Joe Mixon. He had some injury issues and was due for an extension. Instead they paid him on a front loaded deal and he has been one of the best backs in the league and a major reason they're one of the up and coming contenders. 

You can say that it's a business and people shouldn't talk about feelings. Did you forget that our entire OL basically asked to be traded because they were pissed at the team? lol

• Like 2