Raiders Offense

MrOaktown_56

On 3/25/2022 at 3:12 PM, BackinBlack said:

If we play a team that is weak at stopping the run - we will run.
If we play a team that is weak at stopping the pass - we will pass. 
If we play a team that cant cover a TE expect Waller to get a lot of targets.

No more of this, we are going to play how we want to play. 
We have a coach who is going to find weaknesses in his opponents and game plan around that. 

This I think is a major strength of McDaniels from what I've seen, being able to be adaptable and able to exploit the defence's weaknesses. Great teams can win multiple ways which they need to come playoff time when they face very good teams every week with differing strengths and though we're far from great yet I think that is the goal. 

Adams will be a given but I expect to see Waller featured heavily one week then Renfrow the next, then Jacobs and Drake, then lots of screen passes and so on ....... This will make us harder to defend too if the opposition isn't sure how we're going to attack them and I'm excited to see it in action.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

This I think is a major strength of McDaniels from what I've seen, being able to be adaptable and able to exploit the defence's weaknesses. Great teams can win multiple ways which they need to come playoff time when they face very good teams every week with differing strengths and though we're far from great yet I think that is the goal. 

Adams will be a given but I expect to see Waller featured heavily one week then Renfrow the next, then Jacobs and Drake, then lots of screen passes and so on ....... This will make us harder to defend too if the opposition isn't sure how we're going to attack them and I'm excited to see it in action.

I think Adams/Waller/Jacobs will be the focal points of the offense with Renfrow also getting a lot of looks but not nearly what he got last season.

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think Adams/Waller/Jacobs will be the focal points of the offense with Renfrow also getting a lot of looks but not nearly what he got last season.

I agree. I think renfrow's catch % might even go up, if that's even possible. But less volume.

11 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yea exactly. 
Weve had coaches that are so stuck on playing their way that they refuse to exploit teams weaknesses. 

It goes back to Al Davis and his, "were not going to take what the defense gives us, we are going to take what we want".
That was incredible, when we had a team built for the deep pass in the 70-80s, but things have changed. 

If you are not able to adapt week to week as a team you will not have success. 
In all honesty you need to adjust Half by Half. . . We've been one of the worst half time adjustment teams in the last 20 years, and thats all on coaching. 

Josh McDaniels, I expect to be our best gameplanner in a long time. 
Pats absolutely abuse opponents weaknesses, and have no problem running up a score doing it. 
That is what I want to see us do / become

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

Yea exactly. 
Weve had coaches that are so stuck on playing their way that they refuse to exploit teams weaknesses. 

It goes back to Al Davis and his, "were not going to take what the defense gives us, we are going to take what we want".
That was incredible, when we had a team built for the deep pass in the 70-80s, but things have changed. 

If you are not able to adapt week to week as a team you will not have success. 
In all honesty you need to adjust Half by Half. . . We've been one of the worst half time adjustment teams in the last 20 years, and thats all on coaching. 

Josh McDaniels, I expect to be our best gameplanner in a long time. 
Pats absolutely abuse opponents weaknesses, and have no problem running up a score doing it. 
That is what I want to see us do / become

That was one of my biggest gripes during the Gruden/Olson play calling era. They'd have a great script to start the game and then just wouldn't make any adjustments at all.

• Like 1

If healthy we could easily have a top 5 offense. With Oline not changing much probably top 10. Carr's quick release will mask Oline issues. If they improve a lot with scheme/coaching then top 5. Adams and Waller should get 1200. Renfrow 800-1000 yds and that's just with Carr's familiarity with those players. Other's will be working hard to get Carr's attention and defenses know those 3 are a problem. Then we Run the ball and use our backs as receiving threats and we're unstoppable. Each week we feature a different option or two so we're difficult to game plan. McDaniels has a chance to wipe out his HC past with these guys and I think he'll be jacked to do so. Of course this all depends on health of our players and Carr grasping the scheme. I expect a few bumps in the road but we all could see Carr was best in 2 min O in shotgun but instead of waiting to NEED that we should get that a series or two per game with a coach that adapts to his surrounding talent. Defense I'm less sure about but confident with our DC making the best of it. Hopefully some more additions in June for the D and some speed at WR too. 20-0  😉

34 minutes ago, G said:

If healthy we could easily have a top 5 offense. With Oline not changing much probably top 10. Carr's quick release will mask Oline issues. If they improve a lot with scheme/coaching then top 5. Adams and Waller should get 1200. Renfrow 800-1000 yds and that's just with Carr's familiarity with those players. Other's will be working hard to get Carr's attention and defenses know those 3 are a problem. Then we Run the ball and use our backs as receiving threats and we're unstoppable. Each week we feature a different option or two so we're difficult to game plan. McDaniels has a chance to wipe out his HC past with these guys and I think he'll be jacked to do so. Of course this all depends on health of our players and Carr grasping the scheme. I expect a few bumps in the road but we all could see Carr was best in 2 min O in shotgun but instead of waiting to NEED that we should get that a series or two per game with a coach that adapts to his surrounding talent. Defense I'm less sure about but confident with our DC making the best of it. Hopefully some more additions in June for the D and some speed at WR too. 20-0  😉

I think the biggest concern I have is if our line is still meh we're going to have issues establishing the run again this season.

Not ready to give up on edwards at all. I think this offseason will be great for him to reassess. I think he needs the ball more in space, but he just needs to continue to progress. It's tough to go against #1 corners. He thrived in the 3/4 role with Ruggs there and he will this year too.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Not ready to give up on edwards at all. I think this offseason will be great for him to reassess. I think he needs the ball more in space, but he just needs to continue to progress. It's tough to go against #1 corners. He thrived in the 3/4 role with Ruggs there and he will this year too.

I think Edwards is being over looked, I expect him to surprise some people this year.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think Edwards is being over looked, I expect him to surprise some people this year.

I'm hoping he can learn some things from Adams.  It will be good for him to work with a pro for a change and not other young guys.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

i think hes going to ball in McDs offense. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 10:45 AM, Geezy said:

i think hes going to ball in McDs offense. 

On 4/8/2022 at 9:01 AM, true2form said:

I'm hoping he can learn some things from Adams.  It will be good for him to work with a pro for a change and not other young guys.

Edwards catches a lot of criticism here because he had such high expectations after being compared to Adams/Moss/TO in preseason. But he was still third in the team in receiving yards despite being 5th in targets and was 4th in the league in yards per reception. He doesn't have to be a star playing with our big 3 trio but he has shown that he can make big plays and I think he'll benefit from all of the attention the other guys are going to get.

• Like 3