Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

The Chiefs signed Jermaine Carter Jr?  That dude sucks and was a crap ILB for the Panthers and a weak link I thought.  He is not a super skilled player, maybe in a different system he would do well but honestly I would be shocked if he ends up as a starter in Kansas City.  I am not a huge fan of Gay or Bolton but both are pretty good compared to Jermaine Carter who is not.  

Carter is just a special teamer/depth guy, 1.5 mill contract max lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedGold said:

Don’t really see the need for a LB that early.   Sure if one falls late, take him.  But Bolton and Gay progressed nicely last year.  We don’t run much 3 LB sets anyways.   

Anthony Hitchens was #2 on the team in total tackles last year with 81 and he is not there anymore.  And he was 1st on the team in tackles 2019 and 2nd in 2020, Ben Niemann had 40 or so total tackles and he is not there anymore either.  

LB is a need but sure DE and CB will be addressed before it, possibly two CBs could be picked in the first two rounds.  

33 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I have Andersen going #41 to Seattle and Muma going #45 to the Ravens, Damone Clark going #48 to the Bears, Leo Chenal going #53 to the Packers and #56 Christian Harris going to the Dallas Cowboys.  Then of course Walker to the Chiefs at #62.

Considering the athlete he is no way Quay Walker is not worth a 2nd round pick but sure he might settle in the 3rd round.  Andersen has such upside I think a team will really like him, raw at LB sure but that athletic ability is special and he has size also for the position and is not a small guy.

I was going to ask about Chenal. Him I could see taking. Anderson in Seattle with Wagner gone. Interesting. 

By your own rankings, I expect Walker to go well into round #3. That's too many off-ball LB off the board too quickly. Teams will reach, especially for prestige positions. They alway do.

42 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Over his 4 year career he averages 11 total tackles and 1 sack per season. He had his career high season last year with 3 sacks and 16 total tackles. In college, his stats were just as pedestrian, if not worse.

Jones: 27 tackles 9 sacks last year

Wharton: 29 tackles 2 sacks last year

Nnadi: 21 tackles 3 sacks last year

I highly doubt that he beats out any of our top 3 DT in the depth chart. Saunders, who I pencil in at #4, is TBD since he hasn't been healthy. But I imagine we'll get a rookie DT who should push for that spot along with last year's PS guys.

Your own assessment just now is better than your first one, ie camp body. If you equate him with Sunders then it's a lot better.

39 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

1 tackle in 7 games on special teams, zero snaps on defense, Darius Harris. And to be fair, we only had two LB under contract until after the season when Harris was signed to a reserve/futures deal. Semantics? Maybe.

He's under contract. You said there was only Gay and Bolton.

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Anthony Hitchens was #2 on the team in total tackles last year with 81 and he is not there anymore.  And he was 1st on the team in tackles 2019 and 2nd in 2020, Ben Niemann had 40 or so total tackles and he is not there anymore either.  

LB is a need but sure DE and CB will be addressed before it, possibly two CBs could be picked in the first two rounds.  

Hitchens/Niemann mainly played because they were signal callers in base/subpackage.   Bolton likely takes over the majority of the reps in base and subpackages.   I mean they are losses, but a majority of both their roles are filled by Bolton taking over the signal calling.    We’re in subpackages probably 70% of the time.  Sure Carter may be listed as a starter, but he’s not playing a high percentage of snaps.    Him and Lee will likely be mostly ST guys.    Sure take a guy late to try to push one of them off the roster, but I wouldn’t take a guy early that’s likely to only see 30-35% of defensive snaps at most.   Maybe if the two above them weren’t locked up for multiple years.    This changes if the coaching staff doesn’t view Bolton as a subpackage guy, but it he was getting more opportunities at the end of last year. 

14 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Your own assessment just now is better than your first one, ie camp body. If you equate him with Sunders then it's a lot better.

No, he's just a camp body. His career year is well below what our depth produced. We typically keep four DT. The top 3 are pretty set imo in Jones, Nnadi, and Wharton. I'd bet the team goes the cheaper/upside route with a rookie or practice squad guy rather than a 27 year old career backup.

17 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

He's under contract. You said there was only Gay and Bolton.

When the season ended, prior to free agency and the new league year, only Gay and Bolton were under contract. Just like now, where they are the only LB under contract in 2023.

4 minutes ago, RedGold said:

Sure take a guy late to try to push one of them off the roster, but I wouldn’t take a guy early that’s likely to only see 30-35% of defensive snaps at most.

I have to agree with this. Take someone no earlier than the 4th unless a top talent falls for some reason. Like if Dean or Lloyd somehow fell to 50, I'd have a hard time hating on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedGold said:

Hitchens/Niemann mainly played because they were signal callers in base/subpackage.   Bolton likely takes over the majority of the reps in base and subpackages.   I mean they are losses, but a majority of both their roles are filled by Bolton taking over the signal calling.    We’re in subpackages probably 70% of the time.  Sure Carter may be listed as a starter, but he’s not playing a high percentage of snaps.    Him and Lee will likely be mostly ST guys.    Sure take a guy late to try to push one of them off the roster, but I wouldn’t take a guy early that’s likely to only see 30-35% of defensive snaps at most.   Maybe if the two above them weren’t locked up for multiple years.    This changes if the coaching staff doesn’t view Bolton as a subpackage guy, but it he was getting more opportunities at the end of last year. 

Hitchens had a good season. He just wan't a Pro-Bowl contender and his contract said he was supposed to be one. Niemann was the dime LB. It's a fairly common sub-package. It's a lot of snaps to fill. Expect more marginal veterans to get signed in the hopes that that they can fill a roll. 

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

No, he's just a camp body. His career year is well below what our depth produced. We typically keep four DT. The top 3 are pretty set imo in Jones, Nnadi, and Wharton. I'd bet the team goes the cheaper/upside route with a rookie or practice squad guy rather than a 27 year old career backup.

When the season ended, prior to free agency and the new league year, only Gay and Bolton were under contract. Just like now, where they are the only LB under contract in 2023.

He's not a camp body by your assessment. You said he has a legitimate chance to make the 53. Camp bodies don't generally make the first cut.

The team might go with a draft pick There are some good DT in the pool. 

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

He's not a camp body by your assessment. You said he has a legitimate chance to make the 53. Camp bodies don't generally make the first cut.

The team might go with a draft pick There are some good DT in the pool. 

Let me rephrase for you then. He's fighting for one spot. He ain't it.

2 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Hitchens had a good season. He just wan't a Pro-Bowl contender and his contract said he was supposed to be one. Niemann was the dime LB. It's a fairly common sub-package. It's a lot of snaps to fill. Expect more marginal veterans to get signed in the hopes that that they can fill a roll. 

That was also kind of my point.  Half of the the reason Hitchens/Niemann played were because they knew the defense more than the young guys and called plays in base/subpackages.    Highly unlikely a rookie is going to come in and fill that role.   

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Weve got Bolton replacing Hitchens and Gay replacing Neimann. Carter takes over Neimanns snaps on ST. So the need isnt dire, but Veach has taken a LB in the 2nd pretty consistently, so he may hit that till again just in case of injuries.

WG can dual wield at Will or Sam, and Bolton can go Mike or Sam. Both players are great downhill and attacking, particularly Bolton. Id like to at least Free up Bolton to attack the LOS with another good cerebral coverage backer. Thing is hes gotta be a good blitzer, Spagz loves to blitz. 

Or we could go for a real Sam, Chenal could be a force with Spagz. Our DL coach is now the LB coach, gonna be interesting to see how that turns out.

11 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Weve got Bolton replacing Hitchens and Gay replacing Neimann. Carter takes over Neimanns snaps on ST. So the need isnt dire, but Veach has taken a LB in the 2nd pretty consistently, so he may hit that till again just in case of injuries.

WG can dual wield at Will or Sam, and Bolton can go Mike or Sam. Both players are great downhill and attacking, particularly Bolton. Id like to at least Free up Bolton to attack the LOS with another good cerebral coverage backer. Thing is hes gotta be a good blitzer, Spagz loves to blitz. 

Or we could go for a real Sam, Chenal could be a force with Spagz. Our DL coach is now the LB coach, gonna be interesting to see how that turns out.

Not exactly. Gay and Bolton will replace a lot of the snaps, but we still need more players. Carter is a warm body. Get three or four more and we can sort it out. 

On a different subject, the Chiefs are projecting a compensatory for 2023, in addition to the one locked in for Ryan Poles. Since it is clear Tyrann mathieu will sign elsewhere and players like Darell Williams and Melvin ingram might move on, we could be looking at three or four comp picks in total. Add the deferred picks we already own and we have another load of draft picks next spring. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/06/kansas-city-chiefs-early-2023-compensatory-draft-pick-projections/

Edited by onejayhawk

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

On a different subject, the Chiefs are projecting a compensatory for 2023, in addition to the one locked in for Ryan Poles. Since it is clear Tyrann mathieu will sign elsewhere and players like Darell Williams and Melvin ingram might move on, we could be looking at three or four comp picks in total. Add the deferred picks we already own and we have another load of draft picks next spring. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/06/kansas-city-chiefs-early-2023-compensatory-draft-pick-projections/

The catch is: the deadline for receiving a comp pick is 2 May. Any player who signs after that will not qualify. Unfortunately that's just after the draft  ... and teams are aware that signing a qualifying guy may cost them a comp pick of their own.

Oh, and Sorensen and Robinson may account for another pick if their contract value is more than 2.5 M$ - OTC did not process those contracts as of now in their comp pick formula.

UPDATE: According to their individual contract pages both signed for around 1.5 M$ - thus would not qualify.

Edited by KC_Guy