2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

4 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

I'm going to be one of the few people on this baord who is happy when the jets take Walker at 4.

Me too. I don’t seeing him lasting until 10. At 275 with 35.5” arms I just don’t see anyone  better that can play a 43 edge rusher. I do like Johnson but he didn’t run the Shuttle or 3 cone while  Karlaftis and Mafe have under 33” arms. Imo Edge, #1 receiver, LB, S and DT are our biggest early round needs so for me 4-T.Walker, 10- G. Wilson (Olive or London), 35/38 - Cine, Hill, L.Chenel, Q.Walker, T.Jones or D. Wyatt would be my choices. Winfrey (or Booker) Nixon (or Pitrie) and Anderson (or Muna) would be my pick at 69 depending on who we picked in 2nd. 

10 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

I'm going to be one of the few people on this baord who is happy when the jets take Walker at 4.

I'm still indifferent about him. He for sure got moved up my board, but I still don't have him as a top 10 player. I'd actually rather Johnson (who's age I'm not excited about) over Walker.

As I'll continue to mention with him. The production isn't there. He's moved up boards strictly bc he had a great workout. I rarely move guys bc of the combine, I prefer to watch film on them. I moved him up bc he moved better than I thought. I had him more like a slightly more athletic version of JFM. When he is still a bit like JFM, just more athletic.

But here's the 2 reasons he's not in my top 10 and I don't want him with either top 4 pick we have.

1. Little production. Now there are guys that have "reasons" they didn't have production and its legit reasons. Mostly when you're talking about a guy top 10 that reason is double teams. Think a guy like Kayvon... decent production for him, but not eye popping. But from his 1st game as a true freshman... offenses had to know where he was on the field and he got a good amount of double teams. Walker rarely got double teamed and had little production. That's very alarming. If you have him ranked high, you're going strictly by his combine... which if you ask me is poor way to judge a player.

2. He had no production with stars all around him. His 2 DTs and whole LB crew are 1st and 2nd rounders. Even his in the box S is a 2nd rounder. To put that into perspective, I'm not the biggest Q fan. But I am still waiting to judge him completely until we have 2 good DEs. When his job is to be the main source of our pass rush, that's not his game. He cant be the only guy a whole OL has to worry about, bc then its easy to eliminate a player or 2 on the DL. Walker wasn't the best player on that team. He's only shot up boards since the combine. His DTs are the best DT in the draft and the other top 5. So great players. The whole LB room is getting drafted high. How does that affect him? He can play aggressive bc he knows the 2nd level is great. And even with being able to play aggressive, he wasn't producing.

I cant see a guy that faced 1 on 1s and was able to play aggressive bc of the guys around him... now magically getting better and more productive when he gets to the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm still indifferent about him. He for sure got moved up my board, but I still don't have him as a top 10 player. I'd actually rather Johnson (who's age I'm not excited about) over Walker.

As I'll continue to mention with him. The production isn't there. He's moved up boards strictly bc he had a great workout. I rarely move guys bc of the combine, I prefer to watch film on them. I moved him up bc he moved better than I thought. I had him more like a slightly more athletic version of JFM. When he is still a bit like JFM, just more athletic.

But here's the 2 reasons he's not in my top 10 and I don't want him with either top 4 pick we have.

1. Little production. Now there are guys that have "reasons" they didn't have production and its legit reasons. Mostly when you're talking about a guy top 10 that reason is double teams. Think a guy like Kayvon... decent production for him, but not eye popping. But from his 1st game as a true freshman... offenses had to know where he was on the field and he got a good amount of double teams. Walker rarely got double teamed and had little production. That's very alarming. If you have him ranked high, you're going strictly by his combine... which if you ask me is poor way to judge a player.

2. He had no production with stars all around him. His 2 DTs and whole LB crew are 1st and 2nd rounders. Even his in the box S is a 2nd rounder. To put that into perspective, I'm not the biggest Q fan. But I am still waiting to judge him completely until we have 2 good DEs. When his job is to be the main source of our pass rush, that's not his game. He cant be the only guy a whole OL has to worry about, bc then its easy to eliminate a player or 2 on the DL. Walker wasn't the best player on that team. He's only shot up boards since the combine. His DTs are the best DT in the draft and the other top 5. So great players. The whole LB room is getting drafted high. How does that affect him? He can play aggressive bc he knows the 2nd level is great. And even with being able to play aggressive, he wasn't producing.

I cant see a guy that faced 1 on 1s and was able to play aggressive bc of the guys around him... now magically getting better and more productive when he gets to the NFL. 

I've actually liked him quite a bit before the combine. I think the doesn't have the production you're looking for, for a couple reasons. First, he never played one position on the D line consistently. Second, he wasn't an every down player until his junior year. Last year was the first time in his college career he played more than 200 snaps. 

I think he has all the traits that can't be taught and I trust Saleh and Ulbrich to get him to his ceiling, which I think can be a very dominant player in the league. 

I still think the obvious way to build this team is going DE at 4 and WR at 10. There's several guys worthy of those draft spots at each position. Both are premium positions in todays NFL as well. It just makes too much sense to do this. So don't overthink it JD.

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I still think the obvious way to build this team is going DE at 4 and WR at 10. There's several guys worthy of those draft spots at each position. Both are premium positions in todays NFL as well. It just makes too much sense to do this. So don't overthink it JD.

I agree with DE and WR at 4 and 10.  The question is, what if Thibs and Hutch are gone?  Do you want the third best DE as a top 4 pick?  Johnson?  He had a 3 sack game against Jacksonville St. and a 3 sack game against Miami (Fl).  You are a big "who did he play" guy, does FSU opponents last year scare anyone?  Johnson could very well be a good PR, but picking him at 4 may be too high.  I agree with your take on Walker, but lets not be fooled by Johnsons rise because its for the same reasons including the senior bowl.  Both those guys were day 2 picks before the underwear Olympics.  So would you still want a DE at 4 if Hutch and Thibs are gone?  Those are the type of desperation moves that tend to backfire.

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

I agree with DE and WR at 4 and 10.  The question is, what if Thibs and Hutch are gone?  Do you want the third best DE as a top 4 pick?  Johnson?  He had a 3 sack game against Jacksonville St. and a 3 sack game against Miami (Fl).  You are a big "who did he play" guy, does FSU opponents last year scare anyone?  Johnson could very well be a good PR, but picking him at 4 may be too high.  I agree with your take on Walker, but lets not be fooled by Johnsons rise because its for the same reasons including the senior bowl.  Both those guys were day 2 picks before the underwear Olympics.  So would you still want a DE at 4 if Hutch and Thibs are gone?  Those are the type of desperation moves that tend to backfire.

I guess I just assume there's a slim chance they both go top 3. I think Ikem, Neal, Hamilton and Sauce will be considered by DET and HOU.

The odd chance they both are gone... I'd probably get my #1 WR at 4 and see what DE falls to 10 and grab them. And I say that bc WR I'd assume isn't going 1-3, so we can 100% grab our guy at WR. Where if we wait for one, we might not get our top choice. At 10 I'd feel more comfortable with Walker, Johnson or Karlaftis.

I like the idea of getting our #1 WR and maybe still getting our next best DE, than to grab our next best DE at 4 and then maybe not getting our top WR at 10. At least with WR at 4 we're guaranteed our top guy for that spot.

Now thats if it was me. JD I assume sticks to his board. Meaning that lets say his board is....

1. Hutchinson

2. Kayvon

3. Neal

4. Ikem

5. Walker

JD very well just might choose OL bc that's his big board. And isnt going to go off track from that board by much.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Now thats if it was me. JD I assume sticks to his board. Meaning that lets say his board is....

1. Hutchinson

2. Kayvon

3. Neal

4. Ikem

5. Walker

JD very well just might choose OL bc that's his big board. And isnt going to go off track from that board by much.

Yeah, I kind of see it that way as well with one caveat; Hamilton.  I really think Hamilton is the pick if Hutch and Thibs are gone.  I would not cry if we went OL but then we would most likely trade one of Fant or Becton.  While our OL would be set for a couple of years if it was Fant, it would not make a huge upgrade this year trading Fant for a rookie at 4.  By that argument, I don't see OL at 4.  Hamilton is not being talked about much other than an article about a month ago saying the Jets liked him.  Between the lack of talk, the fact that he is a blue chip player even if it is at a position of lower value and a relative need (I don't see Joyner as a starter), he may very well be the pick.

Wr at 4 is a big overdraft.  We will, more than likely, have our take of almost any of the top WR prospects at 10.

What it boils down to if Hutch and Thibs are gone is: 1.  draft OL which is not a huge upgrade for this year.  2.  Overdraft the third best DE.  3.  Take the blue chip S at a devalued position. 4.  Draft a CB leaving both our starting outside CB's out in the cold which I can't see them doing.  5.Trade down which is my personal favorite but I just don't see it happening.

Tough choices.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s where I think he’s leaning as well. He has to know he’ll get his EDGE at 4 and a WR at 10. I’m actually willing to bet money we go there unless something changes.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Just had some time to look at those stats you posted and it's just not telling the whole story.

Jermaine Johnson in 2021 played in 12 games. He had 11.5 sacks. So pretty much 1 per game. Here's the list of teams he had his sacks against. Notre Dame (1.5) Jacksonville State (2.5) Wake Forest (.5) Louisville (1) North Carolina (1) Clemson (1) Miami (3) Florida (1).

I see that as Jacksonville State as the only poor team he put up numbers against. Every other team is a legit NCAA team.

Age is my only thing with him. But if we're forced into the situation if Hutch and Kayvon are gone and we don't want Hamilton, Sauce or OL... Johnson is who I'd want if I had to choose a DE.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

yup. 

My wish is that we take a DE at 4, then Drake London at 10. London give us a big body WR who can catch contested grabs for Wilson, he would give another element while our game breaking WR will be Moore.  Davis is the vet, hopefully will stay healthy. 

Travon Walker worries me, he tested like Myles Garrett but didn't produce like Garrett. Why is that? At his athleticism he should have been dominating college OTs on the edge, but Georgia used him in weird ways.  

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Just had some time to look at those stats you posted and it's just not telling the whole story.

Jermaine Johnson in 2021 played in 12 games. He had 11.5 sacks. So pretty much 1 per game. Here's the list of teams he had his sacks against. Notre Dame (1.5) Jacksonville State (2.5) Wake Forest (.5) Louisville (1) North Carolina (1) Clemson (1) Miami (3) Florida (1).

I see that as Jacksonville State as the only poor team he put up numbers against. Every other team is a legit NCAA team.

Age is my only thing with him. But if we're forced into the situation if Hutch and Kayvon are gone and we don't want Hamilton, Sauce or OL... Johnson is who I'd want if I had to choose a DE.

I would 100% take Johnson over Walker. Johnson is 6'5 with 34 inch arms, he is very athletic as well. Plus his tape stands out, he plays nasty and has upside to be a really good DE in the NFL. Yes he'll be a 23 year old rookie, but if he is your best option to get a productive DE and improve the roster why not.  NFL is very much short term deals anyways.