2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

24 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

I really loved Robby Anderson and believe he'd become a superstar WR alongside of Zach Wilson's A+ rocket arm however I wouldn't be willing to trade draft capital for him because of his $16.8M cap hit + so many of 2022s draft class of WRs who I love. 

Guys don’t really just become superstars at 29yrs old. Keep in mind he never reached 1,000yds with us and finally did in CAR, but even then I think he only had like 3 TDs that season.

If we’re trading for a WR it needs to be a star. Robby isn’t a star and really doesn’t fit our offense either.

As much as I liked Robby, it doesn't make sense to pick him up at this point. If we're going to sign/trade for a WR, I'm only interested in adding someone who can challenge #1 CBs on every team or pulls safety help. A core of average WRs only work with the QB is top tier and has a good defense. Wilson and our defense is miles away. 

You know why we should absolutely splash throughout this Free Agency on big name players such as Dalton Schultz, Marcus Williams (and others)

Because not only are we fully loaded in 2022 Top 5 Available Salary Cap Space but come 2023's offseason of next year? 

We'll finally be able to escape the 2 awful contracts of...

• C.J Mosley $18.5M (with dead cap of only $3M).

• Carl Lawson $15.3M (dead cap of only $333k). 

That'll be a combined total savings of $33,764,000 (just by replacing these two players alone) 

This is Chess and not Checkers therefore I'm already thinking two moves ahead. 

✓ Draft Drake London in order to create a Keyshawn Johnson/Wayne Chrebet type of (electric) WR duo in Drake London/Elijah Moore. 

✓ Start planning ahead throughout the draft to replace damaged goods Carl Lawson (edge rushers @ #4 overall) and an MLB (2nd round this year or 1st round next year ) in order to replace C.J. Mosley come 2023.

7 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

You know why we should absolutely splash throughout this Free Agency on big name players such as Dalton Schultz, Marcus Williams (and others)

Because not only are we fully loaded in 2022 Top 5 Available Salary Cap Space but come 2023's offseason of next year? 

We'll finally be able to escape the 2 awful contracts of...

• C.J Mosley $18.5M (with dead cap of only $3M).

• Carl Lawson $15.3M (dead cap of only $333k). 

That'll be a combined total savings of $33,764,000 (just by replacing these two players alone) 

This is Chess and not Checkers therefore I'm already thinking two moves ahead. 

✓ Draft Drake London in order to create a Keyshawn Johnson/Wayne Chrebet type of (electric) WR duo in Drake London/Elijah Moore. 

✓ Start planning ahead throughout the draft to replace damaged goods Carl Lawson (edge rushers @ #4 overall) and an MLB (2nd round this year or 1st round next year ) in order to replace C.J. Mosley come 2023.

How do you know Lawson is damaged goods? Mosley was our best player last year coming off injury and sitting out a year. Until Lawson shows he wasn’t the guy we signed. I expect a great season from him.

I’ve mocked Marcus Williams to us in my last couple mocks and after digging in and thinking about it… I think we need more a pure SS type in FA.

Terrell Edmunds is the guy I want. He’s still only 25 keep in mind and is more that big bodied S. Davis showed flashes to finish the season last year and so did Pinnock. But both are more that FS type than SS types. Now we like to run a hybrid type Ss. Where there’s no clear FS/SS, but I like the ability to have guys that can do different things. Edmunds is better in the box and guys like Davis and Pinnock are better in coverage. I also look at how the draft might fall as well. Most the good Ss in this class are more that FS type. We want to use a 2nd on a guy that’s looking at the Daxton Hill and Brisker area. Both are more natural FS types than SS. Heck even if we go Hamilton at 4 or 10, he’s more a FS.

Edmunds for me just helps us out in filling that Maye type role for us. And gives us options at the other S spot. Stay in house and let Davis and Pinnock develop. Or draft a guy with a valuable pick and give them a shot. Edmunds being only 25 still hasn’t even played his best football.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ve mocked Marcus Williams to us in my last couple mocks and after digging in and thinking about it… I think we need more a pure SS type in FA.

Terrell Edmunds is the guy I want. He’s still only 25 keep in mind and is more that big bodied S. Davis showed flashes to finish the season last year and so did Pinnock. But both are more that FS type than SS types. Now we like to run a hybrid type Ss. Where there’s no clear FS/SS, but I like the ability to have guys that can do different things. Edmunds is better in the box and guys like Davis and Pinnock are better in coverage. I also look at how the draft might fall as well. Most the good Ss in this class are more that FS type. We want to use a 2nd on a guy that’s looking at the Daxton Hill and Brisker area. Both are more natural FS types than SS. Heck even if we go Hamilton at 4 or 10, he’s more a FS.

Edmunds for me just helps us out in filling that Maye type role for us. And gives us options at the other S spot. Stay in house and let Davis and Pinnock develop. Or draft a guy with a valuable pick and give them a shot. Edmunds being only 25 still hasn’t even played his best football.

Nah...  Just get Jaquiski Tartt and Lamarcus Joyner at cheap price. 

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I love Terrell Edmunds...is it going to be hard for Pitt to retain him?  I like Diggs a lot because he's been averaging 4 picks a year the past 5 years and we need turnovers, and who knows if Seattle can retain him, but I do love the idea of Edmunds plus Pinnock/Davis/rookie FS.  I'd still grab someone late like Smoke Monday to be ST and in the box Safety.

EDIT- grabbing Terrell Edmunds at 25 is similar to the Bills grabbing Hyde and Poyer, except Edmunds is better at this point.

Edited by jetsfan4life51

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

How do you know Lawson is damaged goods? Mosley was our best player last year coming off injury and sitting out a year. Until Lawson shows he wasn’t the guy we signed. I expect a great season from him.

Because he is damaged goods. 

2014 = ACL injury.

2018 = ACL injury. 

2021 = Ruptured Achilles’ Tendon.

And chances are he'll miss the entire Offseason + some of the regular season too (before being able to return). 

Good luck to Carl Lawson somewhere else (elsewhere) because after 2022 regardless of how good he looks I'm cutting him in order to save $15M for 2023s Offseason; he's both injury prone and snake bitten (and easily replaceable ala just ask the CINCINNATI BENGALS). 

C.J. Mosley? A downright awful Mike Maccagnan or Adam Gase signing. Yea. He ranked #2 within the league in total solo tackles and #4 within the league in total tackles but A)Our Defense still stunk. B.) He's turning 30 years old and C.) $18.5M is way too much $$$$ for him. 

• There is no way I'm paying Carl Lawson and C.J. Mosley $33.8M combined come 2023s Season (those are both awful NFL contracts that were made out of complete desperation).

I'd rather sign Davante Adams for Zach Wilson who's the NFLs #1 WR for $25M per year than $33M into Mosley/Lawson.

• Would you like to sign OBJ as a FA who's now coming off his 2nd ACL tear? I wouldn't. 

(The only way I'm keeping and paying both Carl Lawson and C.J. Mosley come 2023 is if they help lead us to a top 5-10 Defense next year or 2022.

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

3 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I love Terrell Edmunds...is it going to be hard for Pitt to retain him?  I like Diggs a lot because he's been averaging 4 picks a year the past 5 years and we need turnovers, and who knows if Seattle can retain him, but I do love the idea of Edmunds plus Pinnock/Davis/rookie FS.  I'd still grab someone late like Smoke Monday to be ST and in the box Safety.

Pitt has money on the surface… but they also don’t have a quarterback. So who knows. I think they have around 20mill in cap space, but with pretty much most the secondary all FAs. They decide to draft a guy and they can resign a lot of their own. But if they make a big move for a vet QB… then obviously that would take up a ton of cap for them and make it harder to resign guys. I also have to think they know they need to invest in the OL. I see them valuing that more so than trying to bring back their secondary. So as for needs for them. The 100% need a QB and then to protect that QB. Bringing back an in the box S when you have a good front 7… might not be a huge priority for them. Who knows. It’s so hard to tell who teams keep. Deadline for tags is in 2 weeks, so that should help us see who we actually have a shot at a week before FA begins 

21 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Steelers hired Teryl Austin as DC.  He loves athletic backs and Edmunds could thrive there.  Money should be non issue if they like him that much.

I like Edmunds too but I'd much rather get more of a ball hawking FS in Free Agency such as Marcus Williams.

And then look to draft one of either Lewis Cine of Georgia or Daxton Hill of Michigan @ SS (both are tackling machines) come the 2nd round.

Kyle Hamilton is the ESPN Media Hype Machine but I like both of these kids just as much (if not even more). 

CB 1: Bryce Hall. 

CB 2: Brandin Echols.

Nickel: Michael Carter II.

FS: Marcus Williams.

SS: Daxton Hill/Lewis Cine. 

🔥S🏈E🔥C🏈O🔥N🏈🔥D🏈A🔥R🏈Y🔥

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'd still grab someone late like Smoke Monday to be ST and in the box Safety.

You just like the name "smoke".  In all honesty, we drafted two SS to play LB, why not just move one back to playing SS full-time instead of experimenting, which did not look so good last year.

1 hour ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

There is no way I'm paying Carl Lawson and C.J. Mosley $33.8M combined come 2023s Season

While I tend to agree with your position on Mosely, lets see how Lawson fairs in 2022.  I certainly understand the injury concerns, but I also like to see if the players recover and how long they last on the field.  As for Mosely, he was horrendous in coverage but made plays.  He is certainly not worth his contract at this point but lets see how 2022 plays out with him.  New D, off for 2 years, he may surprise us.  The Jets can also use the veteran leadership.

Again, it is about getting and retaining good players for this team.  Not generating cap space every year.  You don't want to get caught in an Englund Gambit Trap.