2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

22 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

In a contract year...youre drinking to Kool-Aid too much and this is the mistake GMs make in FA. He is not worth overpaying. 

Yeah. Right. 

✓ Only his "Contract Year" made him develop into an NFL Top 5 TE; as if every single player coming out of the NFL's 2022 draft wasn't playing for an NFL "contract" just last year too. 

✓ And drinking Kool-Aid? I'm not even a Dallas Cowboys fan so how could I be drinking Kool-Aid? I just know a great TE when I see one. 

You should've seen him perform in the playoffs with 8 Targets and 7 receptions (87.5% catch rate) for 89 receiving yards; he was unstoppable. All while both Dak Prescott and CeeDee Lamb absolutely stunk up the joint. 

There is no such thing as overpaying for an already top 5 TE @ only 25 years old. 

And Jets fans should really stop acting and pretending as if Dallas wouldn't absolutely love to have Dalton Schultz back for Dak Prescott. They do. But they can't. Because they've put themselves in absolute salary cap hell (30th and only ahead of Green Bay and New Orleans).

Dalton Schultz: 25 years old. 

104 Targets. 

78 Receptions. 

75.0% Catch Rate Percentage. 

808 Receiving Yards. 

8 TD Receptions. 

43 1st down Receptions. 

3.8% Drop Rate Percentage. 

118.6 Receiver Rating.

Vs. 

Ryan Griffin: 

42 targets. 

27 receptions. 

64.3% Catch Rate Percentage. 

261 Receiving Yards. 

2 TD Receptions. 

14 1st down Receptions. 

7.1% Drop Rate Percentage. 

77.6 Receiver Rating.

Tyler Kroft: 29 years old. 

25 Targets. 

16 Receptions. 

64.0% Catch Rate Percentage. 

173 Receiving Yards. 

1 TD Reception. 

9 1st down Receptions. 

16.0% Drop Rate Percentage. 

97.6 Receiver Rating.

Trevon Wesco: 26 years old. 

5 Targets. 

3 Receptions. 

60.0% Catch Rate Percentage. 

35 Receiving Yards. 

0 TD Receptions. 

2 1st down Receptions. 

0.0% Drop Rate Percentage. 

81.2 Receiver Rating.

You can keep your crap Jets TEs (Daniel Brown too) because this is what being CHEAP @ TE gets you; absolute crap (and Zach Wilson deserves better than that crap). 

• Last Jets TE to ever record at least 78 catches during a single season? Never. 

• Last Jets TE to ever record at least 808 receiving yards during a single season? Mickey Shuler of 1985 (the year I was born) with 879 receiving yards of 37 years ago. 

• Last Jets TE to ever score at least 8 TDs during a single season? Rich Caster of 50 years ago (1972) with 10 TDs. 

• Last Jets TE to ever record a Receiver Rating of 118.6? Never. 

But yet you you're talking to me about "overpaying" for a top 5 TE @ only 25 years if age in Dalton Schultz and one who Zach Wilson deserves? 

36 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Yeah. Right. 

✓ Only his "Contract Year" made him develop into an NFL Top 5 TE; as if every single player coming out of the NFL's 2022 draft wasn't playing for an NFL "contract" just last year too. 

✓ And drinking Kool-Aid? I'm not even a Dallas Cowboys fan so how could I be drinking Kool-Aid? I just know a great TE when I see one. 

You should've seen him perform in the playoffs with 8 Targets and 7 receptions (87.5% catch rate) for 89 receiving yards; he was unstoppable. All while both Dak Prescott and CeeDee Lamb absolutely stunk up the joint. 

There is no such thing as overpaying for an already top 5 TE @ only 25 years old. 

And Jets fans should really stop acting and pretending as if Dallas wouldn't absolutely love to have Dalton Schultz back for Dak Prescott. They do. But they can't. Because they've put themselves in absolute salary cap hell (30th and only ahead of Green Bay and New Orleans).

Dalton Schultz: 25 years old. 

104 Targets. 

78 Receptions. 

75.0% Catch Rate Percentage. 

808 Receiving Yards. 

8 TD Receptions. 

43 1st down Receptions. 

3.8% Drop Rate Percentage. 

118.6 Receiver Rating.

Vs. 

Ryan Griffin: 

42 targets. 

27 receptions. 

64.3% Catch Rate Percentage. 

261 Receiving Yards. 

2 TD Receptions. 

14 1st down Receptions. 

7.1% Drop Rate Percentage. 

77.6 Receiver Rating.

Tyler Kroft: 29 years old. 

25 Targets. 

16 Receptions. 

64.0% Catch Rate Percentage. 

173 Receiving Yards. 

1 TD Reception. 

9 1st down Receptions. 

16.0% Drop Rate Percentage. 

97.6 Receiver Rating.

Trevon Wesco: 26 years old. 

5 Targets. 

3 Receptions. 

60.0% Catch Rate Percentage. 

35 Receiving Yards. 

0 TD Receptions. 

2 1st down Receptions. 

0.0% Drop Rate Percentage. 

81.2 Receiver Rating.

You can keep your crap Jets TEs (Daniel Brown too) because this is what being CHEAP @ TE gets you; absolute crap (and Zach Wilson deserves better than that crap). 

• Last Jets TE to ever record at least 78 catches during a single season? Never. 

• Last Jets TE to ever record at least 808 receiving yards during a single season? Mickey Shuler of 1985 (the year I was born) with 879 receiving yards of 37 years ago. 

• Last Jets TE to ever score at least 8 TDs during a single season? Rich Caster of 50 years ago (1972) with 10 TDs. 

• Last Jets TE to ever record a Receiver Rating of 118.6? Never. 

But yet you you're talking to me about "overpaying" for a top 5 TE @ only 25 years if age in Dalton Schultz and one who Zach Wilson deserves? 

You typed all this up about me saying he had a good year in a contract year. That is a fact. What our TEs did last year has nothing to do with my statement. What our TEs have done historically have nothing to do with that statement. In 2021 Dalton Shutlz had his best season by far which was a contract year. FACT. He is going to look for top dollar and it just MAY not be worth it. If going cheaper is Njoku, Howard etc...and drafting a mid round guy or two...I would much rather go that route instead of overpaying for a guy coming off of a career year in an offense that was head and shoulders better than ours. The probability of getting return on investment is very questionable given our QB situation and youth on offense. 

20 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

You typed all this up about me saying he had a good year in a contract year. That is a fact. What our TEs did last year has nothing to do with my statement. What our TEs have done historically have nothing to do with that statement. In 2021 Dalton Shutlz had his best season by far which was a contract year. FACT. He is going to look for top dollar and it just MAY not be worth it. If going cheaper is Njoku, Howard etc...and drafting a mid round guy or two...I would much rather go that route instead of overpaying for a guy coming off of a career year in an offense that was head and shoulders better than ours. The probability of getting return on investment is very questionable given our QB situation and youth on offense. 

And guys like Njoku couldn't even hold Dalton Schultz jockstrap during his "contract year". 

And in 2020 Dalton Schultz had a really productive year alongside of a crap Andy Dalton (despite not having Dak Prescott) and before Prescott's injury he was also on the verge of putting up even better numbers than even his 2021. 

For all of "Dak Prescott" talk strip him of all his talents @ WR in two 1st round WRs in Amari Cooper and CeeDee Lamb, a top 5 powerhouse O-Line, a top 10 RB in Ezekiel Elliott and a top 5 TE in Dalton Schultz. Put him on the Jets of 2020 and 2021 and you'd no longer be talking about Dalton Schultz having an "elite QB".

Yup. Dalton Schultz played within the NFLs #1 Offense. And he just so happened to be Dak Prescott's clear cut #2 target/weapon and you're attempting to use that against him? 

Take away Tom Brady for Rob Gronkowski and take away both Joe Montana and Steve Young for Jerry Rice and we can play this game all day. Should I discredit Travis Kelce for having Patrick Mahomes too and never winning a SB without him? Or what about discrediting Antonio Gates for having Philip Rivers and L.T and/or laughing @ Mark Andrews for having an elite talent in Lamar Jackson? What about taking John Elway away from Shannon Sharpe etc?

Dalton Schultz is an elite TE talent with or without a choke artist Dak Prescott man. 

1.) Aaron Rodgers. 

2.) Patrick Mahomes. 

3.) Deshaun Watson (when on the field).

4.) Joe Burrow. 

5.) Josh Allen. 

6.) Justin Herbert.

7.) Lamar Jackson. 

8.) Kyler Murray. 

You're acting as if Dak Prescott is the #1 QB talent in the league when he's clearly not.

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

6 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

And guys like Njoku couldn't even hold Dalton Schultz jockstrap during his "contract year". 

And in 2020 Dalton Schultz had a really productive year alongside of a crap Andy Dalton (despite not having Dak Prescott) and before Prescott's injury he was also on the verge of putting up even better numbers than even his 2021. 

For all of "Dak Prescott" talk strip him of all his talents @ WR in two 1st round WRs in Amari Cooper and CeeDee Lamb, a top 5 powerhouse O-Line, a top 10 RB in Ezekiel Elliott and a top 5 TE in Dalton Schultz. Put him on the Jets of 2020 and 2021 and you'd no longer be talking about Dalton Schultz having an "elite QB".

Yup. Dalton Schultz played within the NFLs #1 Offense. And he just so happened to be Dak Prescott's clear cut #2 target/weapon and you're attempting to use that against him? 

Take away Tom Brady for Rob Gronkowski and take away both Joe Montana and Steve Young from Jerry Rice and we can play this game all day. Should I discredit Travis Kelce for having Patrick Mahomes too and never winning a SB without him? Or what about discrediting Antonio Gates for having Philip Rivers and/or laughing @ Mark Andrews for having an elite talent in Lamar Jackson? What about taking John Elway away from Shannon Sharpe etc?

Dalton Schultz is an elite TE talent with or without a choke artist Dak Prescott man. 

You take Njoku's stats from 2021 and add the amount of targets Schultz got additional... and Njoku actually has a more productive year. Schultz was productive bc he got 104 targets. Which is very high for a TE (and likely he wouldnt come close to as a Jet). A guy like Njoku only saw 53. And that's not bc he doesn't get open. It's bc CLE runs the ball a lot and they have several options at WR and Hooper at TE (DAL threw the ball 125 times more than CLE). So his targets weren't inflated. You double Njoku's targets (pretty much exactly what Schultz got) and Njoku would've had a year of 72rec 950yds 8tds. Stats that are equal if not better than that of Schultz. AND even bigger... Njoku is more a sure thing to actually hit FA (since CLE just gave Hooper a big deal) and Njoku will cost A LOT less than Schultz. Njokue is also still only 25. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

You take Njoku's stats from 2021 and add the amount of targets Schultz got additional... and Njoku actually has a more productive year. Schultz was productive bc he got 104 targets. Which is very high for a TE (and likely he wouldnt come close to as a Jet). A guy like Njoku only saw 53. And that's not bc he doesn't get open. It's bc CLE runs the ball a lot and they have several options at WR and Hooper at TE (DAL threw the ball 125 times more than CLE). So his targets weren't inflated. You double Njoku's targets (pretty much exactly what Schultz got) and Njoku would've had a year of 72rec 950yds 8tds. Stats that are equal if not better than that of Schultz. AND even bigger... Njoku is more a sure thing to actually hit FA (since CLE just gave Hooper a big deal) and Njoku will cost A LOT less than Schultz. Njokue is also still only 25. 

I've gotta disagree with you 100% in regards to Shultz vs. Njoku. 

Catch Rate Percentage:

Dalton Schultz = 75.0%. 

David Njoku = 67.9%. 

Receiver Rating: 

Dalton Schultz 118.6.

David Njoku = 113.1. 

These two statistics have nothing to do with "targets" and had everything to do with Dalton Schultz being more efficient than David Njoku. 

√ And if you want to make a big deal about Dalton Schultz receiving 104 targets and using it against him well then what will you have to say about this, below? 

Dalton Schultz 104 targets of last year: 

104 targets. 

78 receptions. 

808 receiving yards. 

8 TDs. 

Catch Rate Percentage of 75.0%. 

Mark Andrews First 104 targets last year: 

104 targets. 

64 receptions..

811 receiving yards. 

5 TDs. 

65.3% catch rate. 

Travis Kelce First 104 targets last year: 

104 targets: 

70 receptions. 

848 receiving yards. 

5 TDs. 

Catch Rate Percentage of 66.7%.

• Would it be fair for me to now say Travis Kelce and Mark Andrews are only better than Dalton Schultz due to more targets?

Because as we can see Dalton Schultz destroyed both Andrews/Kelce once receiving the same amount of (104) Targets...

And in the playoffs 7 receptions off of 8 targets for 89 receiving yards along with a Catch Rate Percentage of 87.5% shouldn't be ignored nor overlooked. 

With that said I wouldn't be upset with David Njoku as our FA signing @ TEbut just please don't mention Dalton Schultz 104 Targets without also mentioning how Dalton Schultz was much better than both Travis Kelce and Mark Andrews (with those same exact 104 targets); Dalton Schultz is much better than you're giving him credit for. 

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

1 hour ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

I've gotta disagree with you 100% in regards to Shultz vs. Njoku. 

Catch Rate Percentage:

Dalton Schultz = 75.0%. 

David Njoku = 67.9%. 

Receiver Rating: 

Dalton Schultz 118.6.

David Njoku = 113.1. 

These two statistics have nothing to do with "targets" and had everything to do with Dalton Schultz being more efficient than David Njoku. 

√ And if you want to make a big deal about Dalton Schultz receiving 104 targets and using it against him well then what will you have to say about this, below? 

Dalton Schultz 104 targets of last year: 

104 targets. 

78 receptions. 

808 receiving yards. 

8 TDs. 

Catch Rate Percentage of 75.0%. 

Mark Andrews First 104 targets last year: 

104 targets. 

64 receptions..

811 receiving yards. 

5 TDs. 

65.3% catch rate. 

Travis Kelce First 104 targets last year: 

104 targets: 

70 receptions. 

848 receiving yards. 

5 TDs. 

Catch Rate Percentage of 66.7%.

• Would it be fair for me to now say Travis Kelce and Mark Andrews are only better than Dalton Schultz due to more targets?

Because as we can see Dalton Schultz destroyed both Andrews/Kelce once receiving the same amount of (104) Targets...

And in the playoffs 7 receptions off of 8 targets for 89 receiving yards along with a Catch Rate Percentage of 87.5% shouldn't be ignored nor overlooked. 

With that said I wouldn't be upset with David Njoku as our FA signing @ TEbut just please don't mention Dalton Schultz 104 Targets without also mentioning how Dalton Schultz was much better than both Travis Kelce and Mark Andrews (with those same exact 104 targets); Dalton Schultz is much better than you're giving him credit for. 

Statistics without context are meaningless. They provide relative value -- Shultz is a good player, what you posted doesn't vindicate any type of argument though... I.e Shultz > anyone else

The guys you compare him to all had a higher average depth per target -- fair to say his catch rate may've been inflated given 'easier' opportunities? Trivial, but giving an example, one that's quantifiable too.

So much missing here in terms of context. You really think Njoku's statistics are independent from Baker Mayfield and the Browns offense? Should we ignore the fact that Andrews and Kelce are drawing significantly more attention from defenses every week? How can you measure/compare statistics (Catch rate, rec grade, etc.) equally given the notable variance in role, circumstance and/or sample size? Not even saying you're wrong, but statistics are used effectively to paint a picture, not tell a story -- speaking definitively, while ignoring context, doesn't do all those numbers any good.