Keith Butler retiring

armsteeld

Austin seems to be the consensus.  I really hope they look outside though.  There seem to be a handful of better options this hiring cycle. 

Austin’s track record leaves a lot to be desired.  Although if Tomlin still wants a ton of control Austin fits the bill as a DC figure head.

• Like 1

Congrats to Keith on his retirement.  Very impressive career mainly as a LB coach.  I thought he was a good bit great D-coordinator but its time to move on now.

As for his replacement I would like to see the Steelers go outside the organization and get an established D-coordinator.  Tomlin doesn’t tend to do that outside of Todd Haley.  Maybe it’s because he doesn’t want assistants that know more than him and undermine his leadership.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Coach Tomlin has always been lauded as a player's coach. Since Butler is retiring, he finally reveals that Coach Tomlin was the Defensive Coordinator/Playcaller. How does that make you feel?

Not bothered. That was known a while ago. The shocked people are the ones that blame bad defense on Tomlin and credit Butler with the good defense. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Not bothered. That was known a while ago. The shocked people are the ones that blame bad defense on Tomlin and credit Butler with the good defense. 

I only know one person (on here anyway) that does that.   

On the flipside, will all the people who were bashing Butler for our defense this year now gonna bash Tomlin?

Still, I question exactly how true that is.   Not saying its a lie, but I feel like we are missing alot of information to judge one way or another.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 43M said:

I only know one person (on here anyway) that does that.   

On the flipside, will all the people who were bashing Butler for our defense this year now gonna bash Tomlin?

Still, I question exactly how true that is.   Not saying its a lie, but I feel like we are missing alot of information to judge one way or another.

From what I understand Butler did the work through the week and Tomlin called the plays. This is not uncommon with HCs that call offenses. 

Honestly I think it’s impressive Tomlin never carried a play sheet and called a defense like that. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 2

Not remotely pleased with the idea of Retread DC Teryl Austin being promoted as our DC.

As far as Tomlin calling the plays it's not surprising. Bur then it means Butler should've been replaced a long time ago as a DC and if we are blaming Tomlin for the bad defense and praising him for the good, then he needs to stop controlling the defense because overall this ywars defense was atrocious yet again against the run and it was never addressed at any point after Alualu went down 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Not remotely pleased with the idea of Retread DC Teryl Austin being promoted as our DC.

As far as Tomlin calling the plays it's not surprising. Bur then it means Butler should've been replaced a long time ago as a DC and if we are blaming Tomlin for the bad defense and praising him for the good, then he needs to stop controlling the defense because overall this ywars defense was atrocious yet again against the run and it was never addressed at any point after Alualu went down 

They traded for Schobert but I honestly feel that with Tuitt and Alualu missing, the Steelers didn't want to waste any more resources for what they felt was a non-competitive year.

There were too many holes in the sinking ship imo. DL, CBs,ILBs, OL, QB, and WRs were all bad this year. DJ was solid most of the year but the other WRs were disappointing.