The "Let it out" thread

deeluxx3

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Again, this is the only place I see him being brought up. 
Who should be more to blame? An undrafted guy making minimum or our $100 million QB paid to make the right decisions and right throws?

I’d go with C actually. The man responsible for designing plays for the undrafted guy making the minimum rather than the best player on our offense or the Hall of Famer that he has at his disposal.

NWI is thoroughly mediocre. I can’t be that mad that he can’t make a good play for his QB. I can be mad that AJ Brown is running a decoy route and Julio is off the field and we’re giving our QB the choice of making a tight throw to a WR4 or coming off of it to a check down to a soft/bad TE.

But I’ll give Tannehill blame for making a tight throw to a bad receiver in that moment. If he’s not open, have to recognize that you’re not throwing to a contested catch receiver.

26 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I’d go with C actually. The man responsible for designing plays for the undrafted guy making the minimum rather than the best player on our offense or the Hall of Famer that he has at his disposal.

NWI is thoroughly mediocre. I can’t be that mad that he can’t make a good play for his QB. I can be mad that AJ Brown is running a decoy route and Julio is off the field and we’re giving our QB the choice of making a tight throw to a WR4 or coming off of it to a check down to a soft/bad TE.

But I’ll give Tannehill blame for making a tight throw to a bad receiver in that moment. If he’s not open, have to recognize that you’re not throwing to a contested catch receiver.

I'll say what a local radio guy said. And it's my belief.
There is blame to Downing and Tannehill.

But the gap between to two is significant, with Tannehill being the main culprit. 

In my opinion Downing was saved from facing a firing squad because of the terrible play of Tannehill. Local radio is working him over. 

EDIT: The Tannehill and Downing Combo killed our season and playoff hopes.  They are among the bottom of combinations. They both have actively worked to kill our offense. 

10 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'll say what a local radio guy said. And it's my belief.
There is blame to Downing and Tannehill.

But the gap between to two is significant, with Tannehill being the main culprit. 

In my opinion Downing was saved from facing a firing squad because of the terrible play of Tannehill. Local radio is working him over. 

EDIT: The Tannehill and Downing Combo killed our season and playoff hopes.  They are among the bottom of combinations. They both have actively worked to kill our offense. 

I’ll put it this way, with a different QB, I think we certainly could’ve beaten the Bengals. Not much of an argument there. But if the ultimate goal is a SB, I don’t envision any situation in which a Todd Downing coached offense is out scoring the Chiefs (and probably the Bills) in the playoffs. 

And only one of them is actually replaceable this year. Unless Robinson has something real dramatic up his sleeve, which I’m open to, but really can’t figure out how the math would work.

Not that it is the reason to fire a guy because he didnt get HC requests

But isnt it telling how the rest of the league really thinks of Downing?

Titans get to the playoffs get the 1 seed with playing 92 players this season and no one even wanted to talk to Downing

I just dont think Downing did anything to help put his spin on this Titans offense and help it grow an expand after Arthur Smith left 

If we cant get away from Tannehill at least get a new guy to call plays to see if that can help change things up a bit

Does Ryan have the ability/green light to check out of plays? Serious question. Because when we get to the LOS and re-see the formations/defensive looks that Harry Douglas is calling out...there are obvious checks to call into.

Downing needs to go. Ryan needs to go. The offense/playcalling is terrible, but I also don't think our QB has full command of the offense to make changes at the LOS like playoff-winning QBs do.

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I’ll put it this way, with a different QB, I think we certainly could’ve beaten the Bengals. Not much of an argument there. But if the ultimate goal is a SB, I don’t envision any situation in which a Todd Downing coached offense is out scoring the Chiefs (and probably the Bills) in the playoffs. 

And only one of them is actually replaceable this year. Unless Robinson has something real dramatic up his sleeve, which I’m open to, but really can’t figure out how the math would work.

I need to find a source of optimism.  

Them back together brings none and actually takes any I have. 
All my venting. I know Tannehill isn't going anywhere. 
Robinson would have to be football Jesus to pull it off. 
However, that doesn't stop him from drafting someone or bringing in an upgrade at backup. Neither in reality would likely be an upgrade from Tannehill.  It would just make me feel better. 

Vrabel and Robinson are smart football people. They saw the defense holding us back and they invested in it. Brought in Schwartz, Haslett (2 football minds on defense that used to be HC's). Drafted and paid money. 

They thought ok, Downing is the OC. Wanted Tim Kelly, couldn't get him. But the offense has pieces that shouldn't be hard to maintain right?  
I give you a 2k rusher. A 1k WR. Trade for a HOF WR, A decent o-line. A good NFL QB. You can't mess that up right?
Downing:  "Watch me!" 
Then Tannehill said: "Hold my beer Downing."

We thought Bowen broke Byard. He didn't.

My off-season goal would be to hire a former HC to be the senior Offensive guy like Schwartz is for defense.  Jim Caldwell comes to mind.  Hell, bring in David Culley. He has an offensive background, Fits the criteria. Former Texan, TN background. Players played hard for him. 
Bring in Tim Kelly and Culley and pray they fix whatever is broken in Tannehill. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I need to find a source of optimism.  

Them back together brings none and actually takes any I have. 
All my venting. I know Tannehill isn't going anywhere. 
Robinson would have to be football Jesus to pull it off. 
However, that doesn't stop him from drafting someone or bringing in an upgrade at backup. Neither in reality would likely be an upgrade from Tannehill.  It would just make me feel better. 

Vrabel and Robinson are smart football people. They saw the defense holding us back and they invested in it. Brought in Schwartz, Haslett (2 football minds on defense that used to be HC's). Drafted and paid money. 

They thought ok, Downing is the OC. Wanted Tim Kelly, couldn't get him. But the offense has pieces that shouldn't be hard to maintain right?  
I give you a 2k rusher. A 1k WR. Trade for a HOF WR, A decent o-line. A good NFL QB. You can't mess that up right?
Downing:  "Watch me!" 
Then Tannehill said: "Hold my beer Downing."

We thought Bowen broke Byard. He didn't.

My off-season goal would be to hire a former HC to be the senior Offensive guy like Schwartz is for defense.  Jim Caldwell comes to mind.  Hell, bring in David Culley. He has an offensive background, Fits the criteria. Former Texan, TN background. Players played hard for him. 
Bring in Tim Kelly and Culley and pray they fix whatever is broken in Tannehill. 

Sadly I think Caldwell is Chicago bound

the best we can realistically do this offseason is re-vamp our offensive staff the way you are describing and bring in a more skilled backup

but if we can somehow trade Tannehill, I genuinely want to do it. I don’t even care that we likely won’t have someone better. We cannot continue with the obvious ceiling he provides us 

6 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Sadly I think Caldwell is Chicago bound

the best we can realistically do this offseason is re-vamp our offensive staff the way you are describing and bring in a more skilled backup

but if we can somehow trade Tannehill, I genuinely want to do it. I don’t even care that we likely won’t have someone better. We cannot continue with the obvious ceiling he provides us 

The thing is, you’re still eating $28 million in dead cap with a Tannehill trade. So it’s not just downgrading the position, it’s almost certainly spending more money at QB to get a worse player.  Unless you can find a new starting QB making less than $8 million.  Which I guess is Minshew? Because someone like Jimmy G or Cousins would push our salary cap number at QB to like $60 million lol.

Its why the only feasible trade would have to involve us clearly upgrading the position. It’s the only way you could ever justify the salary gymnastics that would be required. Otherwise you’re going to end up making the rest of the team worse in order to afford a lateral or backwards move at QB. Which is just bad business.

I just keep coming back to this. Ryan Tannehill had 55 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in two years with Arthur Smith and 22 touchdowns and 17 interceptions in a year with Downing. 

I’m open to the idea he’s just not built to lead a team in the playoffs (it’s an obvious trend at this point), but unless you believe that Arthur Smith is a literal miracle worker, it has to extend beyond Tannehill just suddenly being bad at football right? Matt Ryan finished with 20 TDs and 12 INTs and efficiency numbers below his career averages, so it’s not like Art has some unstoppable scheme that will lift any QB to new heights.

The Raiders also took a step back offensively with Downing. In fact, Carr’s numbers in his year with him were eerily similar to Ryan’s this year. 

I just think he’s bad. For most of the year, it felt like he just took Arthur Smith’s play sheet and blindly pointed at it with no thought or feel for what has happened in the game. Like, the guy watches Derrick Henry look timid and unproductive, sees Foreman provide a huge spark, and says, nah, that’s enough of that. He sees a screen pass to Rogers get easily read and almost picked in the first quarter and goes back to the exact same formation and play in the red zone in the second half. He’s just bad. 

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

I just keep coming back to this. Ryan Tannehill had 55 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in two years with Arthur Smith and 22 touchdowns and 17 interceptions in a year with Downing. 

I’m open to the idea he’s just not built to lead a team in the playoffs (it’s an obvious trend at this point), but unless you believe that Arthur Smith is a literal miracle worker, it has to extend beyond Tannehill just suddenly being bad at football right? Matt Ryan finished with 20 TDs and 12 INTs and efficiency numbers below his career averages, so it’s not like Art has some unstoppable scheme that will lift any QB to new heights.

The Raiders also took a step back offensively with Downing. In fact, Carr’s numbers in his year with him were eerily similar to Ryan’s this year. 

I just think he’s bad. For most of the year, it felt like he just took Arthur Smith’s play sheet and blindly pointed at it with no thought or feel for what has happened in the game.

That and he has largely ruined the PA passing game than Tannehill has for so long dominated. Get rid of Downing, bring in someone that has a brain and let’s see what happens. 

21 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

The thing is, you’re still eating $28 million in dead cap with a Tannehill trade. So it’s not just downgrading the position, it’s almost certainly spending more money at QB to get a worse player.  Unless you can find a new starting QB making less than $8 million.  Which I guess is Minshew? Because someone like Jimmy G or Cousins would push our salary cap number at QB to like $60 million lol.

Its why the only feasible trade would have to involve us clearly upgrading the position. It’s the only way you could ever justify the salary gymnastics that would be required. Otherwise you’re going to end up making the rest of the team worse in order to afford a lateral or backwards move at QB. Which is just bad business.

It would take some Olympic gold salary gymnastics to work it where you get a better QB and still don't wreck you cap. 
Would a team like Denver, Washington, Giants or Pittsburgh take him believing he could be enough or do enough to get them another step closer (with the right OC).  Washington or Denver might have a wacky enough front office to do it?  
Eat half the salary for us give us a conditional 3rd or 4th?

Then what....

Draft a QB in the 1st and sign a vet. Pray for lightning in a bottle. 

Typing that all out sounds like a horrible year. 

See ya next season Tannehill. 

4 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

yeah sorry this is on tannehill. easily. you can’t throw the ball this late on a comeback. NWI wouldn’t have *had* to come back to the ball if it had been on time.

And it wasn't even that terrible of a route. He doesn't float backwards. He comes back to it. DB was more aggressive (seen PI called for less). 

But you have to know all I have to do is get a first down, call a timeout, at least 2 more plays to get in FG range. 
Not throw it into 4 Bengals on a prayer comeback that would take an extraordinary play from your 3-4th WR. 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

And it wasn't even that terrible of a route. He doesn't float backwards. He comes back to it. DB was more aggressive (seen PI called for less). 

But you have to know all I have to do is get a first down, call a timeout, at least 2 more plays to get in FG range. 
Not throw it into 4 Bengals on a prayer comeback that would take an extraordinary play from your 3-4th WR. 

It’s a throw that’s a beat late. Certainly.

But it’s a terrible route. Honestly worse than I thought. But that mostly comes from him being unathletic and not a viable threat. A good receiver has Apple on his heels and gets something on his break, Apple just laughed at his attempt to sell that route as anything other than exactly what it was.

Which makes the throw worse. Because you should identify that the corner is just better than your receiver, especially if you’re going to hold the ball into his break. Still want my receiver to fight back to the ball and not just got outplayed, but it’s now a worse throw in my mind because of just how hopeless NWI looked on the entire play.

There’s a moment at the top of the route where if RT puts it into his body, it probably ends in just a PBU instead of a pick. But it was hopeless. And RT absolutely should’ve recognized that. 

But since it feels inappropriate for me not to criticize Downing, If AJ or Julio is running that same route, there’s no chance that Apple feels comfortable just completely sitting on it like that.