Lord of the Rings TV Confirmed for Amazon

MacReady

I'm not sure I'd be interested in this. On one hand, more Middle Earth. On the other....why? The story was told, and excellently told. I would get it if it had been incomplete, or poorly done, or had room for a noticeably different take, but I can't imagine a TV show being anything more than an inferior version of the original trilogy.

I could kind of go for something in the same world. Like if this is just a different or new story in Middle Earth, I could maybe go for that. Like how the Shadow of Mordor games treat the universe, just with actual plot. But it says based off of the Lord of the Rings books, which to me sounds like it would be just a retelling of the trilogy from a decade and a half ago, and I just don't see the appeal of that. I can't imagine it being anything but a worse version with all the limitations and drawbacks of a TV series thrown in.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/902705-confirmed-amazon-to-adapt-j-r-r-tolkiens-the-lord-of-the-rings

It's been confirmed. 

Best scenario, they adapt material from The Silmarilion, going before the ring was even created.  Spend a season on that.  Spend a season on The Hobbit.  Spend one season on each of the Lord of the Rings books.  Then spend a season on after that. 

That's a massive get for Amazon with GOT ending fairly soon. We'll probably get it around mid 2019-early 2020 

Hopefully rhey don't just repeat the movies but with so much to explore in Tolkien's world I'd imagine they'll go full book faithful as much as their budget will allow.

19 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Weird, so not really Lord of the Rings, but more Silmarillion sort of material?

Not sure, that is what would probably be best.  Make it an anthology type of series with a few holdovers amongst the elves/wizards, but with cast turnover over time, especially amongst any man or dwarves characters.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Any new news on this? I thought we'd have some by now because I know part of the agreement with the Tolkien estate was that the show has to go into production within 2 years and Amazon had to commit to 5 seasons.

Last I heard about it was when they released just how much Amazon is spending on it.... Potentially as much as 1 Billion on the first two seasons (including the 250 million they had to pay just to secure the rights)... Not that it really hurts them to spend all that money... They did just become the second publicly traded company in history to be worth over 1 Trillion dollars.

1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

Any new news on this? I thought we'd have some by now because I know part of the agreement with the Tolkien estate was that the show has to go into production within 2 years and Amazon had to commit to 5 seasons.

Last I heard about it was when they released just how much Amazon is spending on it.... Potentially as much as 1 Billion on the first two seasons (including the 250 million they had to pay just to secure the rights)... Not that it really hurts them to spend all that money... They did just become the second publicly traded company in history to be worth over 1 Trillion dollars.

This article from June sums up pretty much all we know.

https://www.nme.com/blogs/tv-blogs/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-release-date-plot-cast-2170413 

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/08/18/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-new-zealand-return-rumor/ 

Archived