Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Harbaugh could be fun, but he is a certified, Grade-A whack job.

Also, if Fangio gets whacked, how cool would it be to have him back here as DC (feel bad for Desai but it is what it is).

A lot of highly successful coaches are certified whack jobs though. Belichick and Saban and McVey and Kingsbury and Dabo and Arians all got the gene too. I don’t care so long as they can coach football. Same with McDaniels. 

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Harbaugh has never lost to the Packers. He is one of the chief reasons Rodgers has 1 ring

True.

Maybe it’s just me, but anything about the Packers has to be a nice to have thing rather than a need to have in our next coach. We play 15 games against not Green Bay every year that we need to win just as badly.

Hopefully our next HC outlasts Rodgers anyway.

The Florida Times-Union's Gene Frenette confirms the Jaguars "do have interest" in Alabama OC Bill O'Brien for their head-coaching vacancy.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported earlier in the week that GM Trent Baalke is "pushing hard" for O'Brien, and Pro Football Network's Adam Beasley and Tony Pauline say Jacksonville has "real interest" in the former Texans coach while Jaguars owner Shad Khan is "intrigued" by the potential hiring of O'Brien. His six-plus years in Houston ended after an 0-4 start to the 2020 season. O'Brien was a man starving for all-encompassing control with the Texans, handpicking a chaplain in Jack Easterby to essentially be Houston's "GM" and O'Brien's right-hand man. O'Brien also gave himself the title of offensive coordinator. He simply assumed too much power, leading to his demise. O'Brien would be a very controversial hire and wouldn't be somebody who could silently guide the Jaguars out of their cellar-dweller status. According to Beasley and Pauline, the presence of Baalke as GM is limiting the pool of candidates who would be open to coming to Jacksonville. Khan has been adamant Baalke will remain in his role. Along with O'Brien, the Jaguars have interviews set up with Cowboys OC Kellen Moore, Bucs OC Byron Leftwich, and former head coaches Jim Caldwell and Doug Pederson. Any of those would be better options than O'Brien.

It really is the start of silly season 😂😂😂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The Florida Times-Union's Gene Frenette confirms the Jaguars "do have interest" in Alabama OC Bill O'Brien for their head-coaching vacancy.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported earlier in the week that GM Trent Baalke is "pushing hard" for O'Brien, and Pro Football Network's Adam Beasley and Tony Pauline say Jacksonville has "real interest" in the former Texans coach while Jaguars owner Shad Khan is "intrigued" by the potential hiring of O'Brien. His six-plus years in Houston ended after an 0-4 start to the 2020 season. O'Brien was a man starving for all-encompassing control with the Texans, handpicking a chaplain in Jack Easterby to essentially be Houston's "GM" and O'Brien's right-hand man. O'Brien also gave himself the title of offensive coordinator. He simply assumed too much power, leading to his demise. O'Brien would be a very controversial hire and wouldn't be somebody who could silently guide the Jaguars out of their cellar-dweller status. According to Beasley and Pauline, the presence of Baalke as GM is limiting the pool of candidates who would be open to coming to Jacksonville. Khan has been adamant Baalke will remain in his role. Along with O'Brien, the Jaguars have interviews set up with Cowboys OC Kellen Moore, Bucs OC Byron Leftwich, and former head coaches Jim Caldwell and Doug Pederson. Any of those would be better options than O'Brien.

It really is the start of silly season 😂😂😂

There is no way. 

This owner is heavily moved by media criticism.   BOB is far more hated by media than Urban.

That would be a crazy move.  

I don't even know who is coaching Houston this year and haven't watched any of their games, but IMO he is doing great.    Before he lost his starting QB his team looked good.   And he has had competitive games with worse than expansion team talent.   

My expectation for Texans was 0-18.   Hire that guy.  

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Harbaugh has never lost to the Packers. He is one of the chief reasons Rodgers has 1 ring

Harbaugh has seemed to devolve from his early SF years when he admittedly looked great.   Seems NFL caught up to him and so did college football coaches. 

I am not thrilled with prospect of Harbaugh. 

Media seems to like the idea though.   Therefore a lot of fans will start to also.

I do like that he is willing to make hard decisions and play best player.  That should always be the football mentality.

He could succeed.   He will want power.   

59 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

There is no way. 

This owner is heavily moved by media criticism.   BOB is far more hated by media than Urban.

That would be a crazy move.  

I don't even know who is coaching Houston this year and haven't watched any of their games, but IMO he is doing great.    Before he lost his starting QB his team looked good.   And he has had competitive games with worse than expansion team talent.   

My expectation for Texans was 0-18.   Hire that guy.  

I’ve said it previously - BOB the football coach is good. BOB the personnel guy is awful. In practice you can separate the two, but in perception BOB the personnel guy is always going to cast a shadow on BOB the HC, at least in the eyes of the public. That’s why I’d hire him as OC, but not as HC. 

Via Rapoport on Josh McDaniels...

“Would he go to a place that already has a GM? I would have my doubts there,” Rapoport said. “If he’s going to do it, he’s going to do it his way. He’s going to do it properly. He’s going to do it with the right structure and personnel. I would imagine he’d go to a place where there’s not a current GM in place. The Raiders would make some sense. We’ll see what happens with the Vikings.”

Fire Pace just now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brushmyhair said:

If you guys pass on Daboll. I'll be shocked. I was shocked when the Chargers passed on him last year, and I'm shocked that the Jaguars aren't even interviewing him

I hope Daboll is interviewed as well...that offence just scores points one way or another.

16 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Via Rapoport on Josh McDaniels...

“Would he go to a place that already has a GM? I would have my doubts there,” Rapoport said. “If he’s going to do it, he’s going to do it his way. He’s going to do it properly. He’s going to do it with the right structure and personnel. I would imagine he’d go to a place where there’s not a current GM in place. The Raiders would make some sense. We’ll see what happens with the Vikings.”

Fire Pace just now.

If the Pace kicked upstairs thing happens (🤮) and McDaniels is allowed to bring his own GM it may have appeal. The non-family nepotism thing is still patently absurd BUT if it doesn’t get in the way of the football operation then I don’t care. If Pace isn’t involved at all with the roster and allows the GM 100% autonomy to do his job his own way without reservation or restriction, then Pace’s presence will be no different than Ted’s is now, which is uninvolved. He and George and Ted can play Yahtzee or shuffleboard in Lake Forest to their content so long as they let the people who should be handling the football do just that. 

Now, if Pace’s presence having been kicked upstairs keeps us from getting our top candidate(s)… that’s when the billboards will start. They won’t be chanting Fire Nagy any more - it’ll be Fire Pace! or Sell The Team! 

It’s so insanely frustrating that we have to even consider these absurd what ifs. It’s so… so Bears. One would think George wouldn’t want mommy dearest to go through her 100th trip around the sun knowing her team is a national ******* punchline. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If the Pace kicked upstairs thing happens (🤮) and McDaniels is allowed to bring his own GM it may have appeal. The non-family nepotism thing is still patently absurd BUT if it doesn’t get in the way of the football operation then I don’t care. If Pace isn’t involved at all with the roster and allows the GM 100% autonomy to do his job his own way without reservation or restriction, then Pace’s presence will be no different than Ted’s is now, which is uninvolved. He and George and Ted can play Yahtzee or shuffleboard in Lake Forest to their content so long as they let the people who should be handling the football do just that. 

Now, if Pace’s presence having been kicked upstairs keeps us from getting our top candidate(s)… that’s when the billboards will start. They won’t be chanting Fire Nagy any more - it’ll be Fire Pace! or Sell The Team! 

It’s so insanely frustrating that we have to even consider these absurd what ifs. It’s so… so Bears. One would think George wouldn’t want mommy dearest to go through her 100th trip around the sun knowing her team is a national ******* punchline. 

I'm fairly convinced that if we keep Pace you are looking at Daboll, Moore or Leftwich as first timers then maybe guys who have been there before like Pederson or Bowles...

I think we can forget McDaniels or Harbaugh in those circumstances.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm fairly convinced that if we keep Pace you are looking at Daboll, Moore or Leftwich as first timers then maybe guys who have been there before like Pederson or Bowles...

I think we can forget McDaniels or Harbaugh in those circumstances.

But what if Pace is president, and those guys would have a say as to their GM? I don't find that situation far-fetched at all.

15 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

But what if Pace is president, and those guys would have a say as to their GM? I don't find that situation far-fetched at all.

I still feel questions would be asked about Pace's role...I think the very top candidates will want a fresh start from top to bottom and significant say in the structure of the FO...Pace would prevent that.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I still feel questions would be asked about Pace's role...I think the very top candidates will want a fresh start from top to bottom and significant say in the structure of the FO...Pace would prevent that.

My take on that sort of scenario tilts firmly towards "hard to say". And then you have to wonder if that would affect ownership's handling of Pace?