Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

Just now, G08 said:

In his defense, those were the responses he got from people around the league.

I know the article said that and I don't doubt that some of are that opinion however I think the fact we seem to be hand picking execs and coaches for interview at will from around the NFL holds more weight.

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

GM: Rick Smith // HC: Brian Flores

Solid ying-yang I would think

Give me...

GM...Joe Schoen...HC...Brian Daboll

GM...Ed Dodds...HC...Dan Quinn

GM...Ed Dodds...HC...Matt Eberflus

Before Smith & Flores...would be interested to see which GM candidate would want Leftwich as well.

13 minutes ago, G08 said:

@Madmike90I just don't like Eberflus' propensity for Cover-2 and how it cost them a big win against Baltimore.

I see more in Eberflus as a culture guy and a teacher...he has done an excellent job of developing mid-late round picks into really good players...his desire to play Cover 2 a lot is a concern but I think he is smart enough to look around the league at guys like Dan Quinn and see you need to be more multiple...I just like the idea of having a really intense high energy HC who will hold everyone to a high standard and force people to take accountability.

Really interesting stuff from Stephen Holder who is a beat writer for the Colts who was on Hoge & Jahns podcast to discuss Ed Dodds, Morocco Brown & Matt Eberflus...

Says Dodds and Chris Ballard have very similar personalities and philosophies...both tough & fiery guys who welcome collaboration...he did question if Dodds really wanted to be a GM because at his core he is a scout and still wants to be out on the road...my guess is that's the reason he withdrew from the Panthers & Lions search last year...if the ownership are not going to allow him to run things exactly how he wants he won't take the job and I guess he maybe wants someone to do some of the other duties of a GM to allow him to be on the road more.

Says Brown is very highly regarded by not only Ballard but former Bears GM Jerry Angelo...Angelo says he is the type of evaluator who won't just tick the sheet to say a guy moves well but will be able to look at how he projects in 3 or 4 years time...how he would be used specifically with that franchise...Holder explains Braden Smith was the best example of this...played G at Auburn and Ballard didn't want to draft another guard after Nelson...Brown said he was a RT in the pros...Ballard disagreed and said there was no way he could play on the outside but Brown convinced him and now he has signed a $70+ million extension and is one of the best RTs in the game...says when Brown was up for the Falcons GM job last year both Ballard & Angelo called the Falcons to recommend him...the way is sounded all three on the pod cast seemed to think he could have a really good chance at the job...Holder also wrote a full article about him...

https://theathletic.com/2537775/2021/04/27/colts-morocco-brown-is-looking-for-nfl-draft-gems-from-polar-bears-to-unicorns?source=user-shared-article

Holder says Eberflus is a guy who will remind us all of Lovie Smith & his mentor Rod Marinelli...very similar teacher and will develop guys...uses the LOAF system to grade effort and hustle amongst players...holds everyone from stars to UDFA rookies to the same standard...is left almost completely along by Frank Reich to run the D...Hoge also asked him about the defensive system and Holder explained that Eberflus gets pretty offended at the idea that his defence is in a Cover 2 box...Holder confirmed that the Colts actually played more man coverage than zone this past season and were a lot more aggressive in their coverages...said that the defence is taught to gang tackle and attack the ball...exactly like Lovie & Rod.

• Like 1

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·

1h

Busy 24 hours for the Bills: OC Brian Daboll and DC Leslie Frazier are scheduled to interview with for the Bears and Dolphins HC jobs Sunday, per sources. Bears also expected to interview Bills’ assistant GM Joe Schoen for their GM job Sunday. Game today, interviews Sunday.

Schoen in the mix come Sunday...my #2 GM candidate...would love the combo with Daboll

@JAF-N72EX

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Give me...

GM...Joe Schoen...HC...Brian Daboll

GM...Ed Dodds...HC...Dan Quinn

GM...Ed Dodds...HC...Matt Eberflus

Before Smith & Flores...would be interested to see which GM candidate would want Leftwich as well.

I'd also throw the Hortiz and Harbaugh as my dream scenario

Wolf and McDaniels as a much more realistic option too. 

The Dolphins brass is traveling to Buffalo to do in-person interviews tomorrow with Bills coordinators Brian Daboll and Leslie Frazier, I’m told. The Bears’ interviews with those two, and Joe Schoen (for the GM job) will be done virtually.

Interesting that Miami and Jacksonville are doing face to face interviews where as everyone else seem to be doing round 1 virtually...wonder if that will make any difference in how coaches view these openings.

NFL source: #Texans interviewed Hines Ward today as they continued their search for their next head coach.

The Texans interviewed Chargers OC Joe Lombardi for their head coach opening today.

Those two interviews would suggest to me they already know who they want at HC...wouldn't shock me at all if Flores is off the market soon.

10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

NFL source: #Texans interviewed Hines Ward today as they continued their search for their next head coach.

The Texans interviewed Chargers OC Joe Lombardi for their head coach opening today.

Those two interviews would suggest to me they already know who they want at HC...wouldn't shock me at all if Flores is off the market soon.

Flores apparently did well in his Bears interview. Be interesting to see if someone moves quickly to get him early next week. 

Edited by GOGRIESE

Just now, GOGRIESE said:

Flores apparently did well in his Bears interview. Be interesting to see if someone moves quickly to get him early next week. 

Too me if you are interviewing Hines Ward you must already know who you are going to offer the job to...Flores makes a ton of sense down there and due to the GM being in place they could offer him the job right away.

Guys like Pederson & Caldwell aren't getting this HC job...but what if we are being a little smarter about it than usual and interviewing these guys as potential OCs incase we want to bring in a defensive guy as a HC?...

Give me something like...

GM Dodds/Brown

HC Eberflus

OC Caldwell

Colts lite wouldn't be my first choice but would give you some experience on the coaching staff from day one and get you one of the top GM/HC combination.