Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

I feel like Harbaugh adds that certain element of an expectation to be a winner. That’s has severely lacked in MN. Childress was terrible and had a prolonged stay due to Favre. Frazier was a nice guy but had no clue what he was doing as a head coach and frankly had no business being a head coach. Zimmer couldn’t collaborate and couldn’t ever get the team up for meaningful games. Zimmer should probably thank Keenum and Diggs for getting a second deal. Reaching a championship game seemed to be the peak for Zimmer and Chidress; that was the expectation for Harbaugh, even with Alex Smith and Kaep as his QBs. 

Age and commitment is certainly going to be a turnoff, but I’ll take 3-5 years of regular winning and cross that bridge later. Not every team has to hire a 30 year old to be the head coach, I know that’s the trend lately.  

• Like 1

Idk if Cousins is capable of running the RPO type offense that made Kaepernick so dangerous though.  I’m not a huge fan of Harbaugh personality or leadership style either, but his NFL success is undeniable.  I’m very intrigued by the possibility of him, but I’m also very excited for DeMeco Ryans and Kevin O’Connell and I like their personalities and leadership styles more.  I’m not sure what my preference would be.  I guess it ultimately comes down to whether you are willing to look past someone’s likability in order to (theoretically) guarantee success.  Or at least it’s more of a sure thing than the younger guys are.

3 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Idk if Cousins is capable of running the RPO type offense that made Kaepernick so dangerous though.  I’m not a huge fan of Harbaugh personality or leadership style either, but his NFL success is undeniable.  I’m very intrigued by the possibility of him, but I’m also very excited for DeMeco Ryans and Kevin O’Connell and I like their personalities and leadership styles more.  I’m not sure what my preference would be.  I guess it ultimately comes down to whether you are willing to look past someone’s likability in order to (theoretically) guarantee success.  Or at least it’s more of a sure thing than the younger guys are.

What kind of offense did he run with Smith? 

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

What kind of offense did he run with Smith? 

Smith was always a pretty good athlete. You don’t have to be Kaep to run it. Even Foles did it in Philly. Don’t think Cousins works well with a Harbaugh offense but then again, he had Luck in college who’s more of a traditional pocket passer. 

8 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

He won’t need to. Harbaugh throughout the years has had different types of offense for the QB. He isn’t going to have the exact type of offense for Cousins that won’t work. 

one thing to remember, he wasn’t scared to make the move off of the teams “franchise QB” 

Maybe he won’t be scared to move on from Cousins if the time is right.

11 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

He won’t need to. Harbaugh throughout the years has had different types of offense for the QB. He isn’t going to have the exact type of offense for Cousins that won’t work. 

one thing to remember, he wasn’t scared to make the move off of the teams “franchise QB” 

Maybe he won’t be scared to move on from Cousins if the time is right.

Was Smith really viewed a a franchise QB when Kap was drafted? 

While I certainly won’t say I’d be excited about hiring Harbaugh. One thing that absolutely could not be refuted is the Wilfs’ willing to spend money on this team. 

By no means will Harbaugh be cheap, and with the hefty price tag of firing Spielman and Zimmer, they will be paying a lot of money on the coaching staff. 

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Was Smith really viewed a a franchise QB when Kap was drafted? 

I think he’s referring to the other way around. Kaepernick was widely considered the franchise QB when Harbaugh benched him in favor of Smith. 

Edited by SemperFeist

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Was that in Kaepernicks rookie season? 

Smith just signed another contract, led the team on a 13-3 season, won a playoff game. The next season he signed again 3 yrs 24 million, Smith started out 6-2 and off to the best start of his career, got hurt. Harbaugh mad the decision to start Kaep even after Smith returned from the concussion and never looked back.