Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

1 hour ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Because he's a proven winner in the NFL? Not to mention that he's also offensive minded, which is something most of us can agree that we want/need

Because his arrogance and refusal to delegate led him to leave San Francisco in a huff because the GM wouldn't give him the GM control he felt he deserved.

And now he realizes he's never going to win a big one in college, Michigan's window is nearly closed, and now he wants to come back to the NFL. He left SF when he realized his window was over and crawled to the NCAA. See the pattern?

I don't want the guy who's going to come and go when he wants to because he's not getting his way whether in the front office or on the field. There's a reason the dude leaves his job every 3-4 years. (Oakland: 2 years, San Diego: 3 years, Stanford: 3 years, 49ers: 4 years, Michigan: 6 years)

Do you *really* want a coach who's going to bail when the team needs to re-tool? Do you *really* want a coach who's going to get into a power struggle with our GM like he did York and Baalke?

I don't want him anywhere near this team especially around a rookie GM with a totally different "school" than Harbaugh.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Balance isn’t bad. But Harbaugh wasn’t balanced. In his 4 years, the 49ers ranked top 10 in rushing attempts each year, and bottom 3 in passing attempts. 

He wasn’t an air it out coach at Stanford, even with Andrew Luck. And he never really got the passing game going at Michigan. 

He also had Smith and Kaepernick under Center. Not exactly strong passing QBs. Still managed to get to a super bowl.

Just now, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Because his arrogance and refusal to delegate led him to leave San Francisco in a huff because the GM wouldn't give him the GM control he felt he deserved.

And now he realizes he's never going to win a big one in college, Michigan's window is nearly closed, and now he wants to come back to the NFL. He left SF when he realized his window was over and crawled to the NCAA. See the pattern?

I don't want the guy who's going to come and go when he wants to because he's not getting his way whether in the front office or on the field. There's a reason the dude leaves his job every 3-4 years. (Oakland: 2 years, San Diego: 3 years, Stanford: 3 years, 49ers: 4 years, Michigan: 6 years)

Do you *really* want a coach who's going to bail when the team needs to re-tool? Do you *really* want a coach who's going to get into a power struggle with our GM like he did York and Baalke?

I don't want him anywhere near this team.

To be fair, Baalke seems like a terrible GM. Look at what’s happening in Jacksonville. 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

To be fair, Baalke seems like a terrible GM. Look at what’s happening in Jacksonville. 

I mean you're not wrong but Harbaugh loves control. I don't think he'll play well with KAM. Harbaugh left SF because he didn't get GM powers, went to college where he can run the entire thing, and I'm sure he's not going to come to teh NFL and say "Hey KAM, it's all you. I'm just the HC."

1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I mean you're not wrong but Harbaugh loves control. I don't think he'll play well with KAM. Harbaugh left SF because he didn't get GM powers, went to college where he can run the entire thing, and I'm sure he's not going to come to teh NFL and say "Hey KAM, it's all you. I'm just the HC."

KAM has already said he’s going to collaborate with the head coach on roster moves. KAM doesn’t strike me as one who’s going to have battles with the HC like Baalke has and he’s going to have to surround himself with football people for this to work. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

One big concern I have with Harbaugh, what talent did the 49ers draft and develop while he was there? 

He did great with the talent that was already on the roster when he arrived. But which players, that he was involved with drafting, went on to help the team?

Well I mean the team was 6-10 before he arrived, just the season prior. That's all you need to know if you know what followed all of that. 

Just now, Frank Costello said:

Well I mean the team was 6-10 before he arrived, just the season prior. That's all you need to know if you know what followed all of that. 

So the previous coach didn’t know how to utilize the talent. Fine. But who went on to help the 49ers that Harbaugh was involved with drafting and developing? Who did he help bring in to keep the roster stocked? 

40 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I don't want him anywhere near this team especially around a rookie GM with a totally different "school" than Harbaugh.

Look, I'm not saying the guy doesn't faults that we shouldn't be worried about, but he went to 3 straight NFC Championship games (including a Super Bowl), and went something like 44-19-1 in 4 years. I don't care if he is here or 4 years again and that happens, I just finally want SOME level of continuous success with this team. No "every other year is a playoff year," where we barely get in with 9 or 10 wins. Not to mention, the reason he probably left is because of Trent Baalke, who we know is almost impossible to work with.

The guy is 5 tiers above every other candidate, is a proven winner, and is an offensive minded coach. Sign this man now. Not every player is going to love the coach; in fact, there have been players that have said they loved Harbaugh. And not to mention that maybe being a college coach again helped him change is mindset in how he treats players. That was Herbage 7 years ago, and it is possible to change.

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I have no interest in Jim Harbaugh, who has a history of always looking for his next job.  

That’s my biggest concern with a Harbaugh hire. But who knows, he seems to bring a strong staff with him so even if it’s a 3-4 year situation, hopefully he’s got some strong coaches behind him who could be setup well to take over. 

• Like 1