Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

With Kwesi Adofo-Mensah hired as the new GM of the Minnesota Vikings....

1. Who are the favorites for the next head coaching job?
  2. Who do you prefer?
  3. What other staff could be hired to come on, OC, DC, any of the other individual jobs?
  4. Could we hire an Assistant GM to join in and work with him?

Lets keep all the coaching speculations in this thread so we aren't flooding out the other threads.

• Like 1

Just some Wiki Steals for some of the favorites I've seen mentioned.

Nathaniel Hackett:

As a coach:

DeMeco Ryans

As a player:
As a coach:
  • San Francisco 49ers (2017)
    Defensive quality control coach
  • San Francisco 49ers (20182020)
    Inside linebackers coach
  • San Francisco 49ers (2021–present)
    Defensive coordinator
Career highlights and awards

Mike McDaniel

As a coach:

Raheem Morris

As a coach:

Kevin O'Connell

As a player:
 * Offseason and/or practice squad member only
As a coach:

• Like 1

I'd really like to see them steal as much of the 49ers staff as possible. They seem to be very good at identifying and utilizing flexible, adaptable talent. I feel like the offense is already set up to have that kind of success with the pieces that they have, and I think there are some additional players like Osborn and Nwangwu that might find another level with the right creativity.

I don't want to see them tear the whole thing down, because I think there's still good years left for most of the key players. Perhaps a group of younger guys that already work well together can maximize the production of a pretty good roster.

HC: Ryans
OC/AHC: McDaniel (insanely creative with the run game, Cousins' greatest strength is his play-action game)
DC: Bettcher (3-4, blitz heavy, press-man cover 1)

My favorite pick is Ryans. Hands down. You want to talk about the next Mike Tomlin or Mike Vrabel. The guy has everything you want to lead a group of men through the trenches. 

My least favorite pick is O'Connell. If we're going to go former QB turned coach, give me Pederson. Who at least had some success in the NFL actually playing the position vs O'Connell who had VERY few starts/meaningful games in his playing career. Plus he seems TOO quiet to me. The type of coach who wouldn't know how to calm down a locker room getting away from him. Actually reminds me  A LOT of Stefanksi who I was never a big fan of and still am not. 

My dark horse candidate would be Jim Harbaugh. Long shot. But I really feel like if any former coach is going to come back and pick up where they left off, it's him. He's a player's coach too, players respond well to him. His track record in San Fran is pretty unreal if you really look at it and it's also pretty unreal they let him go. 

When the smoke settles. I think it will be Ryans. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Sounds like we could get a few more interview requests later today.

Unsure if the report was eluding to initial interviews for some new candidates, or if it was meaning 2nd interview requests. 

I would suppose it would be 2nd Interview request but who knows. Maybe Kwesi has another he would like to interview. I would assume most of the HC interviews already done came from those finalist requests for HC.

I like the idea of Demeco Ryans and what it would mean for two of our current staff members; Karl Scott has the Bama connection (no overlap, but roll tide and all that junk), and McCardell was still, somehow, in the league as a player when Ryans was in his first couple of years.

I feel like both, from what I've heard about them, would do well with a development focused staff.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Can Mike Dabol be interviewed now or do we have to wait until February 14 since it's after the Divisional round.....or is that only for the 4 winners staffs?

teams still in it can have candidates interviewed next week during the bye.

we have to assume that some of our interviewed coaching candidates will WANT to work with KAM, and are thrilled he was chosen/hired. some candidates... maybe not so much.

so it will be interesting to see who rises toward the top, not only because of their own skillsets but because of their interest in KAM's style and intent.