Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

ok, how about this as an exercise....

as we look at coaching candidates, we tend to look at their history and experience. but what TRAITS and SKILLS are each of us most hoping to find, and how do we rank their importance?

my top one would be something like... able to motivate.

16 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

as we look at coaching candidates, we tend to look at their history and experience. but what TRAITS and SKILLS are each of us most hoping to find, and how do we rank their importance?

Motivation

Communication 

Collaboration

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The great collaborator.....someone who is able to listen to people around him to put the best team on the field, player and schemes wise

• Like 1

I want someone flexible/adaptable. The "my way or the highway" or "smartest guy in the room" attitude makes things more challenging than they should be, even if said coach is forward thinking/an innovator. 

I agree with the sentiments above, but wanted to throw that out there.

• Like 3

Brilliance is important. Someone who is very sharp and innovative. 

Adaptability and less nepotism. Watching Zimmer surround himself with friends and family and being fairly unable to adapt to today’s NFL was a huge failure.

Proven success. Would prefer someone who’s able to move up the ranks and actually demonstrate success in their roles. How do they positively impact players development and teams they’ve been apart of. I don’t want to hire people just because they are likable or fit certain profile if there’s not some element of proven success. Obviously it’s not straight forward when trying to promote coordinator or position coaches to head coach. You can have the nicest guy in the room who’s a respected leader but if they simply aren’t good at their job, you’ve basically got Leslie Frazier. 

24 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I want someone flexible/adaptable. The "my way or the highway" or "smartest guy in the room" attitude makes things more challenging than they should be, even if said coach is forward thinking/an innovator. 

I agree with the sentiments above, but wanted to throw that out there.

In any sport, the best coaches adapt their system to the current talent, not try to force players into a rigid system.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Guess he heard it on KFAN.

Yep, he said it on KFAN this morning. 

weird to think my least favorite of the bunch is Hackett. I honestly would be fine with any of the group. 

With that group it really makes me think they are looking for someone to just “roll” with Kirk. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I'd really like to see them steal as much of the 49ers staff as possible. They seem to be very good at identifying and utilizing flexible, adaptable talent. I feel like the offense is already set up to have that kind of success with the pieces that they have, and I think there are some additional players like Osborn and Nwangwu that might find another level with the right creativity.

I don't want to see them tear the whole thing down, because I think there's still good years left for most of the key players. Perhaps a group of younger guys that already work well together can maximize the production of a pretty good roster.

HC: Ryans
OC/AHC: McDaniel (insanely creative with the run game, Cousins' greatest strength is his play-action game)
DC: Bettcher (3-4, blitz heavy, press-man cover 1)

some choice language in here (nsfw), but this is what I'm talking about with adaptability and creativity:

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

With that group it really makes me think they are looking for someone to just “roll” with Kirk.

Obviously it’ll all come down to money. 

But if he and the team can agree to an extension that’s relatively cap friendly, it doesn’t make sense to jettison him and leave the most important position empty. 

We can talk about finding the next Mahomes or the next Allen, but both of those teams stayed patient, and didn’t force a QB pick. KC identified Mahomes, yet kept Smith until they knew they could turn things over to him. Buffalo didn’t jettison Taylor right after hiring Beane or McDermott, and they didn’t trade him until we’ll into the 2018 draft process where they likely knew who they wanted to target.