Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I have no clue who these guys know or are connected to, but I’ve mentioned it before, regardless of the HC I want Kris Kocurek as DC. 

Thanks for the name.

A good article on how Ryans/Kocurek schemed well regardless of the talent that they had in SF: https://www.ninersnation.com/2022/1/5/22867303/san-francisco-49ers-demeco-ryans-kris-kocurek-creative-pass-rush 

One thing I'm not understanding is the hate for Gannon to be a HC on the Twitter World. 
Haven't seen it as much on here but....

What makes him less qualified than someone like Ryans? Is it just a less familiar name?
Everywhere he's went the defensive back room has been excellent. Eagles defense was also pretty dang good the whole second half of the year after he made some key adjustments.

37 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

One thing I'm not understanding is the hate for Gannon to be a HC on the Twitter World. 

What makes him less qualified than someone like Ryans? Is it just a less familiar name?
Everywhere he's went the defensive back room has been excellent. Eagles defense was also pretty dang good the whole second half of the year after he made some key adjustments.

For what it’s worth, Chad Greenway spoke highly of Gannon on a recent episode of PA on KFAN. That piqued my interest. Later I heard he did very well in his recent interviews. If KAM decides he the best candidate, I have no problem with him as our next HC. 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

I think it’s the perception of defensive success. Fans can see the success that Ryans has had this year in SF, so they naturally attribute it to his ability to be a HC. While Gannon’s defense was simply ok, therefore he can’t be as good. 

Too many fans don’t understand that being a HC is completely different than being a coordinator. 

I’d be very curious about Gannon. Oddly similar to Tomlin. Tomlin wasn’t an Xs and Os genius. The defense under him in his only year as DC was solid but it certainly had its issues. But the Steelers didn’t hire Tomlin because of what his defense did on the field. He was hired because he blew them away with his ability to communicate, and they loved his ability to lead and motivate a locker room. 

Is Gannon that guy?

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

My top pick would be Morris, with Ryans as a close second. Wouldn’t mind KOC either. With Morris having experience coaching on both sides of the ball, I feel like he is best suited to step back, allow his coordinators to implement his system, and for him to tinker and adjust things slightly to his liking as more of an overall observer rather than as a defensive minded guy. This would allow us to bring in coordinators who will have more free reign and that could be enticing for them.

My question is more about McDaniel: has he even been interviewed for the head coaching spot yet? The guy intrigues me a lot, but I feel like I’d rather him be the OC than head coach because I can’t wrap my head around a guy with his stature and personality fitting with my perception of a head coach (and that doesn’t mean my perception is correct).

As a side note, I also want to echo that I hope we retain Patterson and Keenan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I think it’s the perception of defensive success. Fans can see the success that Ryans has had this year in SF, so they naturally attribute it to his ability to be a HC. While Gannon’s defense was simply ok, therefore he can’t be as good. 

Too many fans don’t understand that being a HC is completely different than being a coordinator. 

I’d be very curious about Gannon. Oddly similar to Tomlin. Tomlin wasn’t an Xs and Os genius. The defense under him in his only year as DC was solid but it certainly had its issues. But the Steelers didn’t hire Tomlin because of what his defense did on the field. He was hired because he blew them away with his ability to communicate, and they loved his ability to lead and motivate a locker room. 

Is Gannon that guy?

I like Ryans but another thing that concerns me about him is that he took over an already great defense that was run (built?) by Saleh the past few years. How much of the success is because of him and how much is because of his predecessor.

Edited by Hamsterdam
  • Like 2

If the three finalists are Ryans, O'Connell and Morris please give me O'Connell and keep Cousins round for a season or two.

Imagine scheming up Jefferson like the Rams do Kupp? We'd be able to field a top 5 offense if KAM can fix the O-line. 

O'connell from Zimmer also follows on from the 180 degree turn from Spielman to KAM

Edited by viking