Tom Brady to retire from NFL after 22 seasons

rocky_rams

18 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

My point is that Brady typically performed about as well or below his peers for most of his career.

For me, personally, a true GOAT has to have an extended period where he is unquestionably the best player at his position. For instance, look at Michael Jordan from 1987-93. Or Babe Ruth from 1919-31. 

For Brady, he had 1 truly dominant season in 2007 with Moss. Yes he had great seasons in 2010 and 2017, but those are about on par or below with what others were doing at the time (Manning, Rodgers, Brees, even Ryan and Newton). 

So, because Brady's peak is really not exceptional at all, I have a hard time putting him as GOAT QB. Why? I watched Manning from 2003-2006. He was simply a machine. Brady never put together a stretch like that.

Yes the lengthy career and team accomplishments are incredible. But when you boil the question down to "how good was he?" I can't say that Brady played the position better than Manning, or early Marino, or Unitas, or Otto Graham, or Sammy Baugh. 

To me its pretty obvious he wasn't as dominant as those players. 

How much weight do you put on regular season vs. postseason play? Seems you value regular season stats more than anything, which is why you're heavily favoring Manning and All-Pro awards.

• Like 2

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

How much weight do you put on regular season vs. postseason play? Seems you value regular season stats more than anything, which is why you're heavily favoring Manning and All-Pro awards.

I value overall skill and ability, whether they are demonstrated in regular season or postseason doesn't really matter. I just try to judge the player on what they can do in a competitive game. 

8 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

$10,000 is the amount I am conveniently able to put on the table for a bet. 

lol
If I was given the ability to bet I am older than 22, I'mma go on a fundraising tour starting with calling my mom.
"Mom. Mom. Wanna retire faster than Tom Brady? All you gotta do is bet I am born before 1999."

13 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

But I bring up the 3 All Pros because it helps illustrate the point that Brady was never consistently performing at a level above his peers. He has been performing close to the level of the top QBs in the league for a very long time, but there isn't much evidence to suggest he was above them.

When considering someone for GOAT, I think they should have an exceptionally high peak performance over several years, where you are dominating. 

By your criteria, there is no QB in NFL history that is the GOAT, which makes no sense because there has to be one greatest of all time. Just because there was no Michael Jordan in football doesn’t mean Brady wasn’t the best QB. Jordan was something else, and even then, there are people who say he’s not the GOAT. I disagree with those people by the way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnChimpo said:

By your criteria, there is no QB in NFL history that is the GOAT, which makes no sense because

I'd say that's accurate. I think there is a clear cut top-7 QBs of all time, but there is no methodology that can necessarily identify one as better than the others. 

there has to be one greatest of all time. Just because there was no Michael Jordan in football doesn’t mean Brady wasn’t the best QB. Jordan was something else, and even then, there are people who say he’s not the GOAT. I disagree with those people by the way.

I don't know about that. How you value "greatest" is subjective. Is it championships? Peak performance? Revolutionizing the position? 

Just now, AngusMcFife said:

I don't know about that. How you value "greatest" is subjective. Is it championships? Peak performance? Revolutionizing the position? 

So if you just say yes to this as the criteria. All of it. How is your answer not Brady is the clear cut greatest?

• Like 1

Just now, AngusMcFife said:

I'd say that's accurate. I think there is a clear cut top-7 QBs of all time, but there is no methodology that can necessarily identify one as better than the others. 

That’s fair. I just meant greatest literally means one person, and it doesn’t matter if they didn’t dominate their sport like someone in another sport did.