2021 Super Bowl GDT Thread: (4) Rams vs (4) Bengals

NYRaider

Winner?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got

• Rams
    • Bengals

18 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Okay, I get it. But the Rams are here too. Both teams have overcome the rest of their conferences. Football is played on the field, not on paper. But while the Bengals have been at that disadvantage, the Rams are literally #1 in pass rush win rate and pass block win rate. So that disadvantage just got bigger. Will that be what decides the game? Who knows. That all said, the team that dominates the trenches usually wins.

I guess i'm just numb to it because Joe has been under pressure in every game this year.  He got sacked 51 times, had a pressure rate of 24.5% on the year, etc.  I know it's going to happen, he knows it's going to happen.  If he drops back 40 times in this game, i expect he's going to be pressured 10-15 times, and probably be sacked 3-5 times.  These are all givens.

There's two questions in my mind

1. What happens on those 20ish plays where there is no pressure?  That will happen.  The Rams won't get pressure on 100% of their snaps bc no one ever has, and no one ever will.  The Bengals are great at picking up chunk plays and erasing sacks.
  2. Conversely, when the Rams are on offense - what will Stafford do with his time?  The Bengals are great at man coverage, even 4-5 seconds into a play.  Will Stafford get impatient when no one is open and force it into tight windows?

8 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Oh yeah? Straight hating like always… Murray Alone could run for 80+.. They ran for 127 against that insanely great Dallas D this year. IMPRESSIVE BIG DAWG!

BECAUSE MURRAY IS THAT DUDE! 

*Birdman voice on the breakfast club

You’ll

feel me if there was a issue. 

1. Im not hating, its just not really that impressive to have your best run d game since literally just last year.

2. Dallas d was not insanely great. wut. 

1 minute ago, theJ said:

I guess i'm just numb to it because Joe has been under pressure in every game this year.  He got sacked 51 times, had a pressure rate of 24.5% on the year, etc.  I know it's going to happen, he knows it's going to happen.  If he drops back 40 times in this game, i expect he's going to be pressured 10-15 times, and probably be sacked 3-5 times.  These are all givens.

1. What happens on those 20ish plays where there is no pressure?  That will happen.  The Rams won't get pressure on 100% of their snaps bc no one ever has, and no one ever will.  The Bengals are great at picking up chunk plays and erasing sacks.
  2. Conversely, when the Rams are on offense - what will Stafford do with his time?  The Bengals are great at man coverage, even 4-5 seconds into a play.  Will Stafford get impatient when no one is open and force it into tight windows?

I would love a repeat performance of the Broncos vs Panthers SB where the D came out with their heads on fire. Joe Drip is just too good for that. Simply a stud. I can’t wait! Hope it’s a great game. You have to be in heaven watching the bengals get here! And earned thru a tough road besides that crappy Raiders game. 

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

Eh, you might be underestimating the pressure rate here. But I'll note that the style of defense we play makes it harder to pick up those chunk plays. Rammy posted the video earlier in the thread about our two-safety shells.

As for our offense, it's very effective versus M2M. But yes, odds are that Stafford will force some passes and give y'all a couple opportunities for picks.

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

1. Im not hating, its just not really that impressive to have your best run d game since literally just last year.

2. Dallas d was not insanely great. wut. 

I guess… I just think Murray is a special talent so I give him his dues.. Well I kept hearing all year how special the Cowboys D was, 2 DPOY candidates?  Micha Parsons for MVP/DPOY/ROY, there were some wild talks coming out from Arlington! I was hey y’all what’s going on? 

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

The 9ers being the opponent part of this is impressive. But the rest is not. Its just saying the Rams had their franchise best game since last year.... Not that impressive.

I mean, it's a little impressive. The Rams had the top defense in the NFL last year and a really good run defense. In fact, that 2020 Rams defense was as good as any recent defense since the Legion of Boom.

Just now, FrantikRam said:

I mean, it's a little impressive. The Rams had the top defense in the NFL last year and a really good run defense. In fact, that 2020 Rams defense was as good as any recent defense since the Legion of Boom.

And you took that defense, added playoff Vonn Miller

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Eh, you might be underestimating the pressure rate here. But I'll note that the style of defense we play makes it harder to pick up those chunk plays. Rammy posted the video earlier in the thread about our two-safety shells.

As for our offense, it's very effective versus M2M. But yes, odds are that Stafford will force some passes and give y'all a couple opportunities for picks.

Am i?  I just estimated a 25-38% pressure rate.  That's a good to phenomenal game from any D-line.  Are you expecting 60-80%?  I think you'll be disappointed. 

EDIT: For reference, the Rams averaged 24% pressure rate on the season, around the same rate the Bengals gave up pressure.

Edited by theJ
edited to put in exact math

3 hours ago, El Ramster said:

I would love a repeat performance of the Broncos vs Panthers SB where the D came out with their heads on fire. Joe Drip is just too good for that. Simply a stud. I can’t wait! Hope it’s a great game. You have to be in heaven watching the bengals get here! And earned thru a tough road besides that crappy Raiders game. 

It's been a fun run for sure.  Win or lose, it's just fun to be here and experience it.  

12 minutes ago, theJ said:

Am i?  I just estimated a 25-38% pressure rate.  That's a good to phenomenal game from any D-line.  Are you expecting 60-80%?  I think you'll be disappointed. 

EDIT: For reference, the Rams averaged 24% pressure rate on the season, around the same rate the Bengals gave up pressure.

I will say though, on this topic - like most QB's, pressure up the middle is far more disruptive to Burrow and the Bengals than outside pressure.  In that respect, Donald is going to be a bigger problem than anything the Chiefs or Raiders were doing.

Tennessee did a great job containing Burrow in the pocket, which is why he was sacked 4 times.  If the Rams push the pocket like Tennessee did, and stay in their lanes, it'll make it tough for the Bengals.  If they can't push the edge, or run past Burrow, Donald's impact is going to be more limited.  Burrow is a master at manipulating the pocket and escaping single rushers.  You have to get pressure from multiple spots to really consistently affect him.