2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

Just now, swoosh said:

Average isn't worth the money that it's going to take to keep them though. That's the issue here. It's always about money. If they're not worth the money, then the market value is driven way down. 

I just think most of the other QB needy teams like the Colts, Commanders, Broncos, Steelers, and Buccaneers just all found their solutions very quickly. 

Neither guys left are difference makers on their own.   Best case they are ok when you surround them with great talent / scheme.   Neither will be cheap if they are “ok” next year.    You’re stuck in mediocrity if you go there.   

Now even then it might be tempting - but in JimmyG’s case, he can’t physically get cleared until May / June.    That’s massive In considering a trade.    One thing to get back to the system / personnel you know.   Totally different to be past halfway in the offseason to pick up a new O / work with the coaches & players.   It’s not insurmountable but it’s not ideal.  

In Baker’s case his lack of willingness to be a vet stopgap makes it really unappealing got rebuilders to look that way at that price (pick & 18M+).    Esp with teams that would look to rookie this year or next.   That describes the situation in SEA/CAR right now.  

And again we’re talking about guys who aren’t difference makers by themselves. Now if PIT had decided to wait on QB maybe there’s an earlier resolution (although being in same division as CLE makes Baker unlikely via trade).   But with only SEA/CAR left and both  looking in rebuild mode it’s not that surprising.    I’d expect CLE is going to have to eat money or send a pick to get a deal done.   With SF/JimmyG likely nothing is happening until we’re actually seeing his return date crystallize.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

And again we’re talking about guys who aren’t difference makers by themselves. Now if PIT had decided to wait on QB maybe there’s an earlier resolution (although being in sane division as CLE makes Baker unlikely via trade).   But with only SEA/CAR left and both  looking in rebuild mode it’s not that surprising.    I’d expect CLE is going to have to eat money or send a pick to get a deal done.   With SF/JimmyG likely nothing is happening until we’re actually seeing his return date crystallize.

I don't think Carolina is in rebuild mode, Rhule is likely gone if they suck this year. I just don't think they want to take on either guys salary when they're already paying Darnold like $18M. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

I don't think Carolina is in rebuild mode, Rhule is likely gone if they suck this year. I just don't think they want to take on either guys salary when they're already paying Darnold like $18M. 

They’re almost certainly going rookie QB Rd1.   Baker’s trade demand started once it was clear CLE was looking to upgrade.   It’s hard to see why they’d want to pursue Baker if they already chose to think rookie.   Baker certainly isn’t a guy who makes you change long term plans.    It’s why the piece came out about both Baker & CAR having “mutual disinterest” - lol. 

The other part to this is given how Baker  has reacted - CLE has no leverage.    The $ is fully guaranteed either way.    When you add in the other factors Baker having little interest at 18M+ and picks being asked for isn’t nearly as crazy as it might have seemed 1 year ago.  

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Wasn't he just saying that a team had offered them two 2nd round picks? lol

No, that was Florio saying that he had heard Lynch was saying that. 

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

They’re almost certainly going rookie QB Rd1.   Baker’s trade demand started once it was clear CLE was looking to upgrade.   It’s hard to see why they’d want to pursue Baker if they already chose to think rookie.   Baker certainly isn’t a guy who makes you change long term plans.    It’s why the piece came out about both Baker & CAR having “mutual disinterest” - lol. 

The other part to this is given how Baker  has reacted - CLE has no leverage.    The $ is fully guaranteed either way.    When you add in the other factors Baker having little interest at 18M+ and picks being asked for isn’t nearly as crazy as it might have seemed 1 year ago.  

The Panther were also said not to be big fans of Jimmy as well. I agree...almost certainly a QB with #6 

1 hour ago, swoosh said:

But is it really insane? They're both free agents after this season. Who wants to invest money into either of these guys? And on top of that, give up a draft pick or two to do it. 

Yes and no. For the quality of QB they are, in a normal season they get moved pretty easily. Joe Flacco was traded in 2019, as a starter with a 20M cap hit after being benched in 2018, for a 4th round pick. 

However, Jimmy's surgery obviously blew up his market, and with Baker there's no leverage and a limited number of opportunities (basically seattle or bust at this point if Cleveland looks at a trade). 

Without a surgery, I think Jimmy 100% would have been moved by now. With Baker, had they made the decision to move him earlier in the off season, he's probably easily moved as well. 

• Like 1