Nacho Simulation Football League (Season 23 - Taco Bowl XXIII POSTED!)

TheKillerNacho

4 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Long post.

I just... I didn't realize it then, but it's the truth: you cannot make the sim pass the ball. You just can't. I assumed that I'd fully commit to the passing game, but the sim doesn't care what I want.

I made a list of each QB that has started all four games so far and sorted them by pass attempts. Rodgers was second to last, despite me running a minimum run chance. But... why? Why did we run the ball 14 times and only throw it 10 with a 13+ point deficit? Because the sim doesn't care what I want.

I drafted offensive linemen based on their pass-blocking ability, and I nailed it. Connor Williams is a fantastic sim pass-blocker. Good scouting work by me. He sucks against the run, hence his league-leading 10 stuffs allowed, but we'll just pass, right? Nope. We're going to run. We're going to run repeatedly, up the middle, down on the scoreboard. 1st, 2nd, 3rd down... we're going to establish that running game before punting the ball away, with a deficit in the 4th quarter.

To be clear: I'm not criticizing the league, and Simmons is a guy I love that's keeper-tier and provides a defensive identity. I just didn't know. I didn't realize it before, and I wish I had. I would have taken a different approach.

Does it let you pass? Yes, yes it does.

Does it let you pass exclusively? Oh, my, no. That's by design.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Which I completely understand, and actually appreciate... it would be a much different exercise if you could ignore one side of the ball completely.

I guess I just didn't expect my team, with my Run Chance set at 30, to run more than they passed with a 13+ point 2nd half deficit. I'm not even being a smartass here: I just didn't expect it. I was in shock. My wife was yelling at the T.V. It felt off.

Knowing that, my approach to roster construction will be quite different. And, again, I love this place. I'll just have to adjust. (I just wish I knew all of that before making that trade, but what's done is done.)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

To be clear, and most of you have already realized this - There's diminishing returns that exists around the edges of the setting making situation modifier to matter more if its contrary to the setting. These include down & distance, current score differential, time left on the clock, and even player fatigue. On a 1st down play in a 0-0 game early in the 1st quarter, it should be very close to the actual percentage. Beyond that, it still plays a large part but it can sway wildly.

Of course, like in the real NFL, this leads to the teams passing the most usually being the worst teams, who are down constantly. The teams that have the lowest Run Ratio through 4 games are teams that have been trailing for the majority of time so far:

Burlington: 37.96%
Antarctica: 39.92%

Considering your team has nursed leads for large stretches of times during your games @TL-TwoWinsAway (if I recall correctly), and had a game where you raised it (again, iirc) that would be one of the reasons yours is slightly higher, probably. Still, your Run Ratio isn't too much higher (the sample size isn't too high at this point either):

Pittston: 43.64%

Which is, I believe, sixth lowest (that is, your pass percentage is sixth highest). But yes, you are correct that it is impractical to expect to be able to exclusively focus on either the pass or the run in this league. This is, at its heart, a simulation and aims to create realistic results.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I guess I just didn't expect my team, with my Run Chance set at 30, to run more than they passed with a 13+ point 2nd half deficit.

That was certainly odd and, likely, extremely unlikely. Although, occasional unlikely sequences are unavoidable and even expected with the nature of RNG (or even true randomness, for that matter). The sample size wasn't terribly high

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Which I completely understand, and actually appreciate... it would be a much different exercise if you could ignore one side of the ball completely.

I guess I just didn't expect my team, with my Run Chance set at 30, to run more than they passed with a 13+ point 2nd half deficit. I'm not even being a smartass here: I just didn't expect it. I was in shock. My wife was yelling at the T.V. It felt off.

Knowing that, my approach to roster construction will be quite different. And, again, I love this place. I'll just have to adjust. (I just wish I knew all of that before making that trade, but what's done is done.)

I have my number 1 rb percentage set to 75, and zeke got 18 carries and my number 2 rb got 11

It happens

4 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Thoroughly outplayed Sea Wolves but 3/15 on 3rd vs 8/18 was the difference. Back to back blown leads in last 5 minutes, tough. Hopefully just bad RNG and not the result of my weak coaching staff. 

Looking forward to our tilt this week. Always a good game.

7 hours ago, Malfatron said:

I have my number 1 rb percentage set to 75, and zeke got 18 carries and my number 2 rb got 11

It happens

I've felt that, despite my RB1 Chance being set at 80 all season, Nyheim Hines has gotten tons of touches. I chalk that up to my RB1 being "used on passing downs" as well, lowering his stamina. I'd love to upgrade him, but, statistically, he was outperforming Taylor while they both were Waste Walruses.

I'm willing to RNGexcuse most aspects of it all because I understand that it's a sim.

The Daily Cheddar

Norway Knights
Darnell Mooney, WR
Chase Claypool, WR

Tacoma Thunder
Nearly everyone

Pittston Waste Walruses
David Onyemata, IDL
Blake Martinez, LB
Matt Milano, LB

Nassau Sea Wolves
Jalen Hurts, QB

Richmond Flying Squirrels
Wants MLB

(Advise if you'd like something added or removed.)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Mooney for a S24 12th still available

First come, first served.

The deal ends sometime today

74.7 PFF score

9 PFR AP score

2022 stats

Receptions:

81 - T-18th
RECEIVING YARDS
1055 - 17th

The sale has ended. Mooney is off the table

I will be posting a new sale in a few weeks.

Stay tuned!

• Like 1