2022 NFL Scouting Combine - March 1st thru 7th

MikeT14

This is second hand info from walterfootball.com but since we can't sit in at the team interviews this is the best we can go by:

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Combine-Interview-Winners-and-Losers

One of the most important parts of the NFL Scouting Combine is the team interviews. Players can really help themselves or make a bad impression that can lead a team to ruling them out. Team sources shared with WalterFootball.com who they saw as some of the winners and losers from the interviews thus far.

Winners

• Liberty quarterback Malik Willis
  • Pittsburgh quarterback Kenny Pickett
  • Ohio State wide receiver Garrett Wilson
  • Arkansas wide receiver Treylon Burks
  • USC wide receiver Drake London
  • Florida running back Dameon Pierce
  • Texas A&M guard Kenyon Green

Sources said Wilson was sharp on the board and they were impressed with his football IQ. They also liked how Burks interviewed, and London is said to be a solid kid. Both Pickett and Willis have the reputation for being a high-character leader who loves football and has the drive to work hard and get better.

Team sources said there have not been many players who have interviewed poorly. Agents have players well prepared these days for what is coming in the interviews. Two prospects, however, were singled out for hurting themselves with their interviews: Texas A&M tight end Jalen Wydermyer and Kentucky offensive tackle Darian Kinnard. Sources noted Wydermyer' character was fine, but saw his football IQ as a problem, which led to a bad interview. With Kinnard, teams didn't like some his answers on past issues regarding concerns around his honesty, accountability, and love of football.

Super disappointed to hear about OL Darian Kinnard. He was a guy I was high on in the second round to potentially replace Brandon Scherff. He does seem kind of like a rough character what I've seen on youtube but sometimes you need that nastiness in an offensive lineman. 

Some initial thoughts from today:

Matt Corral came in at  6'1.5", 212 lbs. That's a little heavier than I thought he would come in at and that extra weight might ease some concerns that his body wouldn't hold up in the NFL. It's a shame he can't run. Stock up 

Super disappointed in Malik Willis not testing. I just don't get it, he could have potentially landed in the top 10 or even top-5 with a great performance. His strength is supposed to be athleticism and a running dual threat QB. I guess he wants to sit back on his Senior Bowl performance. Or maybe he's not as fast as is rumored. Maybe he'll test at his pro day? On the bright side, he tested well in Interviews. Stock Neutral

Everyone is talking about Kenny Pickett's hands but they are ignoring his good size at 6'3"+ and 217 lbs. People are blowing this way out of proportion, hopefully to our team's advantage. I would have liked to see him perform athletic drills. Ugh. He apparently interviewed well. Stock Neutral 

A lot of the WR's came in a little smaller than expected. It seemed like a lot of guys were either an inch shorter or lighter than their listed weights. They are running 40's soon! 

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 1

Better the second time from Treylon Burks with 4.5 flat. Apparently he had a bad start on his first run. A little better for David Bell 4.62. Both respectable numbers. Nothing that screams that we have to draft either of these guys. But options. 

Jahan Dotson (4.41) did okay. He was supposed to run faster apparently. Dotson's tape didn't impress me that much first glance, but I'll look again. Skyy Moore (4.39) helped himself. I haven't watched any of Skyy Moore but he'll be on my watchlist now. 

Edited by taylor made

25 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Treylon Burks with a 33" inch vertical and first forty run of 4.55 forty. That's not great #'s from him. I'm not sure he's WR1 anymore. David Bell with a 4.64 first run. He looks more agile than fast on tape, but that's not great either. 

Disappointing for Treylon. So much of his appeal is based on projection, and on the premise that he’s physically a beast. He still can be an excellent player, but those are not “breathtaking athlete” numbers like I was hoping to see. 

The possible numbers people are throwing around for Chris Olave’s 40 are crazy. I really want to see that. Could he be Justin Jefferson?

Edited by e16bball

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Disappointing for Treylon. So much of his appeal is based on projection, and on the premise that he’s physically a beast. He still can be an excellent player, but those are not “breathtaking athlete” numbers like I was hoping to see. 

Yeah, it's very odd because he looks like a freak on tape. Apparently his 20 yard split was very good. He can still be a 8.00+ RAS player I believe. 

35 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Super disappointed in Malik Willis not testing. I just don't get it, he could have potentially landed in the top 10 or even top-5 with a great performance. His strength is supposed to be athleticism and a running dual threat QB. I guess he wants to sit back on his Senior Bowl performance. Or maybe he's not as fast as is rumored. Maybe he'll test at his pro day? On the bright side, he tested well in Interviews. Stock Neutral

I still think it’s the bolded.

I think right now there’s a lot of Lamar/Vick talk because he’s such a good runner — but I don’t think the long speed is as fast as people are assuming it is based on those comparisons. 

I think he’s really fast, don’t get me wrong. But with Lamar and Vick, you’re probably talking legit 4.30-4.35 speed. Run all the way away from people speed. RGIII had that kind of long speed. I don’t think that’s Willis. He’s an incredible runner, but it’s more quick bursts, change of direction, elusiveness than just pure blinding speed.

If Willis runs 4.48-4.50 or something, which is still very fast for a QB, I think that takes away from some of the mystique. Then he’s less Vick/Lamar and more Fields/Tyrod in terms of pure speed. It wouldn’t change my view of him at all, but it probably does lower the ceiling to some extent. 

• Like 1